Therrien - (Still?) Into the Playoffs Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's ok to downplay the record in the regular season when the habs get outplayed though, at least be consistent. The habs have dominated almost ever period for christsakes.

Ya, you can say Habs are dominating (although I'd say it's a bit more even). So I guess people were right to complain this season and say the Habs can play a much better game.
We're losing this series because of bad luck and Bishop has won the goaltending match up so far.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Nobody has put ALL the blame on Therrien, but he hasn't helped this team.

And for all the crap about us not having a great offensive center... why haven't we developed Galchenyuk? You can't just throw up your hands and say we don't have talent when the guy has used freaking DD as our top line center all year.

Remember, this is the same coach who had the eventual cup winning Penguins 30th in shots and out of the playoffs before he got fired.

Many years ago Sam Pollock considered turning Guy Lafleur into a center but that didn't pan out. Fortunately, he became a HOF right wing. Maybe Galchenyuk should remain a LW even though the Habs don't have another candidate for the center position.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Many years ago Sam Pollock considered turning Guy Lafleur into a center but that didn't pan out. Fortunately, he became a HOF right wing. Maybe Galchenyuk should remain a LW even though the Habs don't have another candidate for the center position.

No.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A few points here,

1. Galchenyuk looked great at center. We haven't tried him there because for some reason the coach thinks DD is better.

2. Scotty Bowman tried to get Lafleur to play a system but when it didn't work he let him do his thing. Therrien wants Galchenyuk to play like Brandon Prust. He basically negates the kid's skills by getting him to grind. Bowman got the best out of Lafleur by playing to his strengths... Therrien forces his players to play his way regardless of skill level.

3. If Galchenyuk is better suited to the wing that's fine. But for Pete's sake TRY him at center. Put him next to Max. Put him in a position to succeed. If it's a "transition year" why do we have DD in a first line role? We put him there for like ten games and he actually looked pretty good there too. So what's the problem?
I never wanted Therrien and I don't want him now. Is it too late?
Too bad Gauthier isn't here because we could then try to trade him after the 2nd period of our next game.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

We desperately need a #1 centre not another LW.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
If the team can play like last night (a little more east, west) and MT not playing favorites, then I would stop complaining about Therrien.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ya, you can say Habs are dominating (although I'd say it's a bit more even). So I guess people were right to complain this season and say the Habs can play a much better game.
We're losing this series because of bad luck and Bishop has won the goaltending match up so far.
Tampa's special teams have helped greatly. Perfect execution on a lot of goals with cross ice passes where Price has to go post to post to stop it. Very difficult to stop those kinds of shots. We lost game two because of this.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's ok to downplay the record in the regular season when the habs get outplayed though, at least be consistent. The habs have dominated almost ever period for christsakes.

Yes it's okay. Because the regular season is just a practice to what the playoffs are all about. And letting your goalie save you more often than not, NOT being able to finish, while it CAN be okay in the regular season because you are OFTEN playing teams that sucks, well it won't work in the playoffs because you are often playing teams that don't suck.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No finishing cries for better offensive talent.

You have the same problem as every other Habs fan, you overate this team offensive ability, you think that we could have a better result by changing lines and create chemistry. No, our players are not talented enough offensively. Look at game #2 and all the chances we had in the first period, the players couldn't put the puck in the net with all thoses amazing chances, it could have been 3-0 or 4-0 after one period, instead we got undisciplined and we lost 6-2.

There's no change in chemistry that could change the fact that the players couldn't score, it's because we are not talented enough offensively, you need to stop overating this team offensive ability. In the 4 games against Tampa we had scoring opportunities after scoring opportunities and the players couldn't finish.

Our top 3 centers are Plek-DD-Eller, Tampa's top 3 centers are Stamkos-Johnson-Fillpula. Just think about it for a second, we're not in the same planet.

I'm overrating the Habs talent? Me? Ask Lafleur Guy and Kriss E about what I think about our offense. Don't worry....especially for that. I don't think we are all that great. And contrary to some fans, I also don't think that it's black or white. I do fault Therrien for quite a few things, but I'm also capable of thinking that this offense is also nothing special to begin with. Put them all together, and because of it, we could have been eliminated in the 1st round....and it still can happen in the 2nd round. All this while the Sens were nothing special....and as we're seeing now...while TBay with an injured Stamkos is ALSO nothing special. I guess we are then nothing special too....Would love a new coach, but it won't happen. So what we do need is more offensive talent. Yet, you hope that they will be able to bring that offense despite the system.

But since you can't trade DD for Malkin and Plekanec for Thornton, you then have to use what you have in hands. Would have been nice to try a Ghetto more....or see what Hudon could do or even more of Thomas. But we didn't. Because we were "satisfied" with what we had in hand. Fine. But since you go all in with your personnel, you then try to build a chemistry amongst players. I remember not that long ago that they said that there should be less players in preseason....or that they will not give tons of preseason games to tons of people JUST because you have to build chemistry as soon as preseason. Well guess what....our preseason continued till the END of regular season. And even a little in the playoffs.And all without not a lot of injuries that asks for roster changes. I just don't think that's great strategy for a team that, and I agree, with not a lot of natural skills, to on top of that make them change linemates every 2 shifts.

HabsDieHard*

It's been pointed out that despite Montreal outshooting Tampa so significantly, their actual high quality scoring chances have been quite low.

You aren't going to beat a goalie like Bishop with just your standard shots looking for rebounds (well most nights anyways).

They fired in a lot of shots, but how many grade A scoring chances did Bishop stop in the series?

I hate hearing Therrien talk about how the team deserved better in games 1 and 3, it is such miserable little whiny nonsense.

Teams that score 1 goal in 80 minutes do not deserve better than a loss.

Teams that leave one of the top scorers in the NHL today wide open 10 feet from the net wtih 2 seconds to play do not deserve better than a loss.

The truly deplorable part is how this excuse making nonsense from the coach seems to have filtered down into the players. As seen by Subban talking after game 2 about how they were even at 5 on 5, as though it has some sort of relevance.

Do you know why the habs are down 3-1 so far?

Because they made things easy on Bishop through the first 3 games.

I also find it incredibly amusing that so many of the people who were so vocal all season long about shot totals not being that important now suddenly want to prattle on at length about how the Habs are winning the shot battles and "deserve better".

This team has been anemic offensively for the entire playoffs, outside of last game, which came against a goalie playing his first back 2 back all season long, and a back up who hadn't played in quite a while.

Has the power play strategy changed?

Have they given Parenteau a chance to play with top offensive players, where he's had his most success?

Has Galchenyuk been tried at center where before last night they had all of 2 goals from their top 9 centers?

With a competent power play this team probably beats Ottawa in 4, and that extra rest could have paid off huge for Markov.

With a competent power play, game 1 and 2 could have gone differently.

Why is Smith Pelley in the line up?

With all of the bottom 6 grinder guys this team has in the line up, why is it that they can't find room for a young guy like Sven Andrighetto who might provide an offensive spark?

Why does Pacioretty continue to go out for EVERY SINGLE POWER PLAY with 2 small forwards with him?

Why is it that uneducated fans like me can see that their forward trios on the power play aren't working and are illogical, yet the coaching staff continues to do the exact same thing over and over?

How does any of this make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad