Therrien says something big is in the works

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree 100%.

The danger in all of this is the drop in the canadian dollar. That could impact the cap situation. Right now, doesn't look too good, as some analysts (maybe you're one of them) are predicting an 86 cents canadian loonie. A mega tv contract with Rogers is impacted a ton when it loses 14% of its investment in the exchange rate.

I only follow the US economy since it's for work, I do own one stock from Canada a bio-tech at the heart of this ebloa mess, but other then that I don't follow the loonie. A drop would impact the cap, although I have no clue if the NHL uses financial instruments to hedge the CL or not. If they were a standard business they would but I actually never thought about it before, probably because I have never had any interest or experience in currency trading. I am stocks and stock options only (some oil or silver in the past)

I think hyper inflation is a real possibility, you can only print so much money. The US economy is still barely getting back on track, if countries plan on dropping the petro dollar, the US is in for a shock. The fed is out of tricks.

I will admit that I follow the economy for work because I trade stocks and options for a living but I don't follow it too closely as I just need to have a feel for where things are headed. I would be very surprised if hyper inflation were to pop up, as I really think the US GDP will go up slightly or higher.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Interesting discussion gents. So why are pro sports megaleagues recession-proof compared to other sectors? I think it may be because season ticket holders, heck even individual ticket buyers, are elites. Regular folk (such as myself) have been priced out of hockey tickets a long time ago.

When a recession hits, it hits the poorest people the worst. The highest tier float on comfortably, and the gap between the rich and the poor widens, as it has been for some time now. But yeah my point is, you're in good shape as an industry if your revenues depend on customers who are recession-proof themselves. Thoughts? :D

In macroeconomics terms, it's because of price elasticity of demand. In layman's terms, this means that the demand for some goods and services is relatively resistant to price increases and money supply shortages. Alcohol, tobacco, gas, and pro sports are examples. Recession or boom, price hike or not, people will buy them and sacrifice something else instead.

When the hockey season is in full swing and many hockey fans need a new pair of winter boots, a good number of them will spend money on hockey tickets instead.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I would be very surprised if the cap got below 50 anytime soon, don't see why that would happen as most financial models I've seen are projecting small but steady improvement at least as far as the US economy since that's what I directly work with for the past 20 years. I don't know about 90 but I would easily bet on it being closer to 90 then under 50.

I would bet on this as well.

When looking at inflation you need to look at where interest rates are. We have been and will likely continue to be at least in the short term, in an insanely low interest rate environment. There's talk that rates must start going up but as I follow this every day for a living, I hear that the US is planning on keeping rates low for the near term at least which means inflation remains in check as it's been on the low side historically speaking.

LWA brought up the last 30 years and what's interesting about that time frame is that is the prime baby boom years where earnings and tax revenues are very high and costs to maintain a very large chunk of the population are very low creating an prosperous part of a economic cycle that happened after a depression(30's), WWW2, the fifties ,the sixties and the seventies and won't happen again until we go through the whole cycle again. You can't take out the conditions that created the baby boom, the babies growing up, going to school, entering the workforce and then when they enter their prime earnings years start the economic cycle then. It doesn't work that way in the real world.

If people think things like businesses or real estate are going to be worth less in the future they won't borrow money to buy them, regardless of where the interest rate's are. This is why the Fed pumps money into the system and keeps interest rates low, they know how toxic a deflationary cycle can be.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
To Lshap (moderator)...from the Bobby Ryan (closed) thread! (didn't know where to put this reply!?):

Lshap wrote:
'' Thing is, predicting playoff character is tricky. If you're hoping to find that undervalued 2nd/3rd line forward like Rene Bourque to become a post-season hero, the odds are slim. I'd still go for talent, even though there are never guarantees. Michael Ryder performed for Boston in the playoffs, but not for us in 2013. Vanek was on a tear for the last few weeks of the season, then cooled off in the playoffs. Then you get unexpected guys like Weise who catch an inner fire in the post-season.

The best bet is to aim for the best talent at the best time. If the Habs look like possible contenders, make a pitch for Bobby Ryan. 10-5-15 in 25 playoff games for the Ducks. Gotta believe one of these rentals will work out for us one of these years!

Byfuglien would be amazing, but he's not a UFA next summer. Not sure we could shuffle the roster to afford his remaining contract. ''

My reply!:
I agree with the above (especially bold part), but I'm no pro scout...I hope the Habs' scouting team and Bergevin have a ''good eye'' to spot a player on the cheap (or sort of) who can be a playoff warrior for us at trade deadline. Vanek...I had no idea he would be such a LAZY PLAYOFF BUST...he just wasn't trying (never saw anything like that...depressing...none of us could believe he was 100% healthy, anyways...that's over with!). I would hope Bobby Ryan (if ever a Hab) doesn't turn into a Vanek in playoffs...depends (I guess) also on who he has chemistry with...DD? Plekanec? Galchenyuk or Eller? Depends on how hungry he is for a CUP? does he have that playoff fire/desire that Subban, Weise, R.Bourque, Weaver all have?,etc,etc...
In a nutshell...I wouldn't overpay for a player like Bobby Ryan (I'd take a chance but not overpay)....IF we're gonna overpay (a little!) I'd go for a MAJOR LEGIT PLAYOFF MACHINE...Dustin ''The Big Buff'' Byfuglien!!!:yo: (The Big Buff even won VS Chris Pronger when they battled each other...Big Buff would help Subban and Price achieve the ultimate goal...imo). I'd acquire Buff as a dman/forward (Markov-Byfuglien? or biggest/heaviest/tallest duo in NHL...Tinordi-Byfuglien!!).

Weise:
huge fan of Weise...he had great chemistry with the few shifts he had with Bourque in palyoffs...Weise is a playoff warrior (like Weaver).

p.s.: glad you like Byfuglien, too!! (but I do have to remind myself that it might be better to wait until he's UFA?? or...we can offer Winnipeg something similar that got us Vanek...but of course The Big Buff has more value VS Vanek..., no? I still hope Buff is on Bergevin's list...;)). And...I'd find a way to shuffle our roster to acquire Byfuglien's remaining contract...no problem! after all...imo Big Buff would help us in playoffs ''BIG'' TIME!! (as usual...imo!).

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Something ''big'' is in the works? (said Therrien).

Then it must be The ''Big'' Buff!!
(Dustin Byfuglien...as a dman/forward...playoff machine...he would be better than Chris Pronger for us...look what Pronger did for the Oilers not that long ago...and look at how Byfuglien dominated Pronger when he won a CUP in Chicago...we need that...Subban and price need this kind of help...the Big Buff help!!).

Many options (dman/forward):
Markov-Byfuglien
Tinordi-Byfuglien
Emelin-Byfuglien

Pacioretty-DD-Byfuglien
Bourque-Eller-Byfuglien
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Byfuglien
__?__-Galchenyuk-Byfuglien

MikeBlunden4Ovechkin

Jan 14, 2012
Renaud Lavoie Update***

Just got an update from Renaud Lavoie... he said that Mathieu Darche told him that Franky Boo & Drewiske are being traded to the pittsburg penguins vs Malkin & Letang!!!!:yo:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Can we change the "something big" to "nothing big" for strict reasons of accuracy?

We've discussed the something big side pretty well.
I'd like to know what folks feel about the nothing big side.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Let's see

big = gros
works = travaux

Gros travaux .... well duh, this is Montreal, it's always gros travaux when it's not winter

MT is gonna announce he's gonna run for Mayor ?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Something ''big'' is in the works? (said Therrien).

Then it must be The ''Big'' Buff!!
(Dustin Byfuglien...as a dman/forward...playoff machine...he would be better than Chris Pronger for us...look what Pronger did for the Oilers not that long ago...and look at how Byfuglien dominated Pronger when he won a CUP in Chicago...we need that...Subban and price need this kind of help...the Big Buff help!!).

Many options (dman/forward):
Markov-Byfuglien
Tinordi-Byfuglien
Emelin-Byfuglien

Pacioretty-DD-Byfuglien
Bourque-Eller-Byfuglien
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Byfuglien
__?__-Galchenyuk-Byfuglien

What's the point in getting Byfuglien when we already have Tinordi on defence and Big Mac as a PWF. Brett Lernout is in the pipeline also, it may take 3-4 yrs. but the Habs have drafted the players necessary. Murray and others were used to plug those holes until our prospects could develop, their time for NHL experience is now.:nod::nod:

PricePkPatch*

What's the point in getting Byfuglien when we already have Tinordi on defence and Big Mac as a PWF. Brett Lernout is in the pipeline also, it may take 3-4 yrs. but the Habs have drafted the players necessary. Murray and others were used to plug those holes until our prospects could develop, their time for NHL experience is now.:nod::nod:

At the moment, Big Buff >>>>> McCarron and Tinordi combined.

Buff could make a.difference NAOW.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
If you listen to Roch Voisine's former bodyguard on 98.5 FM

Beaulieu will be 6th D
Bouillon will be with the habs
Sekac not sure he will start in MTL
He likes Thomas, reminds him of Gallagher

GO CUBE GO

I'm fine with all this. I would rather Thomas than Sekac from what I've seen. Sekac looks like he has a shot down the road tho. Cube was solid against Boston in the playoffs next to Weaver, he's fine as a #7.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I'm fine with all this. I would rather Thomas than Sekac from what I've seen. Sekac looks like he has a shot down the road tho. Cube was solid against Boston in the playoffs next to Weaver, he's fine as a #7.

There's no room for Bouillon. This is who will make the roster, barring injuries:

Forwards: 13

Plex
Patches
Parenteau
Desharnais
Eller
Bourque
Prust
Moen
Wiese
Galchenyuk
Sekac
Malholtra
Gallagher

Defenseman: 7

Subban
Markov
Emelin
Gilbert
Weaver
Beaulieu
Tinordi

Goalies: 3
Price
Budaj
Tokarski

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
There's no room for Bouillon. This is who will make the roster, barring injuries:

Forwards: 13

Plex
Patches
Parenteau
Desharnais
Eller
Bourque
Prust
Moen
Wiese
Galchenyuk
Sekac
Malholtra
Gallagher

Defenseman: 7

Subban
Markov
Emelin
Gilbert
Weaver
Beaulieu
Tinordi

Goalies: 3
Price
Budaj
Tokarski

No room for 3 goalies. No Tinordi as a 7th dman. Full NHLer or AHLer, no part time job for him.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
The season is about to bigin.

BZe3g3hCcAAWf_p.png

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
This is what will probably happen.

Therrien "Hey JJ, do me a favor and send in Franky"

Bouillon "Yeah coach, what's up you wanna get a drink after practice and hit up my hot tub?"

Therrien "Normally that would sound great buddy, but I am afraid I have bad news first"

Bouillon "Oh no, did Marc find out about last summer?"

Therrien "SHHH I told you, never bring that up. That never happened. But seriously, this isn't easy for me to say but here goes nothing.....

giphy.gif

.... the city has spoke and I have to cut you. Don't worry though, once someone gets hurt we'll sign you to a deal and you'll get to play with PK on the top pairing. I'll even sneak you out there on the PP so you can turn the puck over and maybe get 1 point in 50+ PP minutes."

"That sound ok Franky?

Bouillon "Yeah Mike, that's ok I guess. It sucks that I can't just play on the top pair right now but I understand you have to make it look like I'm not good enough only to infuriate everyone later when the team is actually doing well without me."

Therrien "Glad you understand? Now, how about that hot tub?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad