NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think Yakemchuk is more rounded than Parekh but we haven't had a stud RD in a while. I think Parekh's offensive talent is too good to pass up. Definite no on Dickinson, don't need another LD in our logjam
There really is no logjam pertaining to the guys we are picking. They will be entering the league at the earliest 2025-26, and more likely 2026-27.

If we pick Dickinson, he's probably entering the league when Chabot has at most 2 years remaining on his deal, at which time would be easy to move or easy to shelter. They aren't likely to be jumping into top 4 roles as soon as they get to the league.

If they view Dickinson or Buium as the top guy, which is a very real possibilty, they are both LD that they'd be happy to grab.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Another Mock.
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
6. Buium
7. Parekh
8. Dickinson
11. Yakemchuk

I am a fan of Parekh. He's fun to watch. but I would be surprised if Ottawa took him at 7 over Dickinson or Yakemchuk. For sure there are some teams that really are missing that element would. After watching the mostly one dimensional Chabot and Chychrun through the year i think they go in another direction. If Ottawa plans to revamp a lot of their D ..they could.
I agree that it's unlikely they draft Parekh, which is unfortunate. This regime seems averse to risk and excitement, which is kind of understandable given all the drama that preceded them.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Parekh is risky not sure how his game translates defensively in the NHL

I think Dickinson, Buium and Yakemchuk are all more appealing at least to me.

I really like Yakemchuk, I think he’s a perfect fit for us.

Parekh is risky but my god does he ever remind me of Karlsson.

Not pre-Cooke Karlsson or even post-Cooke Ottawa Karlsson, but San Jose Karlsson that put up 100P by himself by basically playing as a rover.

He's probably the most talented D to come out of the draft since Dahlin, but there is much of his game I don't like.

His defensive game is inconsistent, as is his effort level. Plays at half speed and sometimes he looks like he doesn't care at all about playing defense. I'm skeptical that it can be coached out of him.

Hard to be an elite offensive producer from the blueline without high-end skating but I think he can do it. I don't think we'll pick him but I expect some team in the 8-13 range will take a chance on him and will end up with either an elite player or a DeAngelo.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We haven't had a 1st rounder in 4 years (I don't count Boucher, sorry). Can they afford to go with a high-risk/high-reward pick?
I think with the guys available the only one that fits that criteria, in our range, is Parekh.

Every other option has a very safe, and high floor.

Maybe Connolly, but I think he’s a given to be a solid 2nd line guy for you.

We should be guaranteed a good top 9 forward or top 4 D, a real core member.

I do agree, I’m not sure they can send it to the moon with their pick because we haven’t had a 1st since 2020.

In the mid/late rounds I’d like them to chuck some hail Mary’s rather than drafting extremely low impact possibilities like Van Tassle, Latimer, Romeo etc.

Reactions: Bileur

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Many people have said certain players fit what Ottawa likes to draft. We got new minds in charge now, won't that change the teams drafting profile? Also, do scouts, shit...errrr, just scout?...or are they given a profile to apply when they watch these kids?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Listening
I think Yakemchuk is more rounded than Parekh but we haven't had a stud RD in a while. I think Parekh's offensive talent is too good to pass up. Definite no on Dickinson, don't need another LD in our logjam
Drwft the best player. In 2 year this team may look very different.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Staios would probably have a lot of info on Parekh too since he’s in the OHL, so that might help understand how likely he’d be to clean up his defensive game.

With Chychrun gone and Chabot's health always in limbo, are we really as secure at LD as we think?
If the team thinks Kleven is a top 4D, then we’re probably still fine. If not then no.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There really is no logjam pertaining to the guys we are picking. They will be entering the league at the earliest 2025-26, and more likely 2026-27.

If we pick Dickinson, he's probably entering the league when Chabot has at most 2 years remaining on his deal, at which time would be easy to move or easy to shelter. They aren't likely to be jumping into top 4 roles as soon as they get to the league.

If they view Dickinson or Buium as the top guy, which is a very real possibilty, they are both LD that they'd be happy to grab.
absolutely this. If these guys are ranked higher.. they should be picked .. This LD RD thing is over blown. For any position of need ... make that pick if they are neck and neck on your board.

There are a few RDs that will be there later in the 1st that are not on the same tier as the players in the top 10 but can still be projected to be 4,5 D and are already more defense first.

The thing is that Chabot and Chychrun are just not good enough. Like we are missing that elite offensive defenceman element, cuz they aren't it.

They have mediocre hockey sense compared to their physical tools, so they can't actually run a team from the backend.
Like I said if they want to revamp their D they could but I am not sure they are that far along or have reached that conclusion.
I have no issues with Both Chabot and Chychrun being moved but we should not be looking at the draft to provide their replacements anytime soon.

Reactions: GCK and Agent Zub

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
These are good points. Depth is always an issue. Kleven has looked really good at the AHL level (watched him in game 2 of the Cleveland series). If there is a spot open for him in the NHL next fall, I think he takes it and doesn't look back.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Another Mock.
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
6. Buium
7. Parekh
8. Dickinson
11. Yakemchuk

I am a fan of Parekh. He's fun to watch. but I would be surprised if Ottawa took him at 7 over Dickinson or Yakemchuk. For sure there are some teams that really are missing that element would. After watching the mostly one dimensional Chabot and Chychrun through the year i think they go in another direction. If Ottawa plans to revamp a lot of their D ..they could.
Even if he turns into EK part 2 I want a more defensively sound guy. Dickinson or Yakemchuk would be just fine. Or buium if he’s there for some reason.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dickinson is a good player. A safe bet to be a top 4 guy with the skills he has. Hes only getting hate around here because he’s a LD.

He'll play no doubt, but so will most of the players picked top 7. I don't think he thinks the game well enough to be a #1 or perhaps even a top pairing D.

Feel the same about Levshunov too for that matter. Think a lot of people kind of see what they want to see with him because so many teams need a top 4 RD.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He'll play no doubt, but so will most of the players picked top 7. I don't think he thinks the game well enough to be a #1 or perhaps even a top pairing D.

Feel the same about Levshunov too for that matter. Think a lot of people kind of see what they want to see with him because so many teams need a top 4 RD.
I don't see Dickinson as 1 I see him as a horse that can anchor your 2nd pair. He is a baby right now.. lots to go to be complete. Ultimately he could be a 2 with an offensive 1 .. I see Levshunov at the same place in a lot of areas and he is older and physically stronger.. probably a little more offense .. Dickinson's skating is stronger. I don't see him as your 1 either.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Even if he turns into EK part 2 I want a more defensively sound guy. Dickinson or Yakemchuk would be just fine. Or buium if he’s there for some reason.
If we could draft the next triple Norris trophy winner, we should definitely do so! I am not saying Parekh is going to be that good.

For our second pick in the 1st round we could draft the defensive-oriented D you want such as Emery or Ellick.

These are good points. Depth is always an issue. Kleven has looked really good at the AHL level (watched him in game 2 of the Cleveland series). If there is a spot open for him in the NHL next fall, I think he takes it and doesn't look back.
I have my doubts that Kleven will become a top 4 D in the NHL. I think he has potential but more likely will be a 3rd pair D'man.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2 round mock draft ; Sens picks
Screenshot 2024-05-09 192152.jpg

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I want to land another high pick.

Do you think calgary would do a deal like 9 + 29 for 7?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Probably not.

Their 2nd (#42) would be more fair.
I bet if the right guy fell on draft day they would bite on it for both firsts. But theres a good chance there will still be three good players left on their list when we draft so probably not.

Maybe philly would be a better target with 12 + 30 for 7.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What makes you think yakemchuk is defensively sound?

I bet if the right guy fell on draft day they would bite on it for both firsts. But theres a good chance there will still be three good players left on their list when we draft so probably not.

Maybe philly would be a better target with 12 + 30 for 7.
Chychrun got Laughton +12?

I want to land another high pick.

Do you think calgary would do a deal like 9 + 29 for 7?
Probably because in the NHL 29 is low percentage pick.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
You do NOT want Yakemchuk if you want a defensively sound guy.

He is worse than Parekh. Why do I see so many people with the belief Yakemchuk is some great defender?

Senators will Target Levshunov first, if he’s gone they’ll move onto Iginla. They may also hold Parekh to a high standard.

With their second first rounder, they’ll go for a RHD 100%, one of Emery, Badinka, Danford, Jiricek, or Elick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad