Therrien says something big is in the works

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Let's see

big = gros
works = travaux

Gros travaux .... well duh, this is Montreal, it's always gros travaux when it's not winter

MT is gonna announce he's gonna run for Mayor ?

Gros_jambon.gif

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Ticket Prices are set by demand in the market, not the player's salaries.

Actually, in a competitive market, prices are equal to marginal cost (assume a basic model with no externalities), or the derivative of the cost function. Thus variable costs (salaries) absolutely play a role in determining price.

For a monopoly though, price is determined by finding the optimal quantity wherein profit (not revenue) is maximized.

I think the Habs would be a monopolistically competitive firm, so that muddles things. My point is, that demand doesn't solely determine price.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Actually, in a competitive market, prices are equal to marginal cost (assume a basic model with no externalities), or the derivative of the cost function. Thus variable costs (salaries) absolutely play a role in determining price.

And what is the Habs competition when it comes to selling tickets for a hockey game in Montreal?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
And what is the Habs competition when it comes to selling tickets for a hockey game in Montreal?

I edited my post for clarification. This "competition" comes in the form of substitutes. There are other hockey teams you can watch, can watch on TV, watch other sports - so no perfect substitutes.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
There is a legal definition of recession... it is two straight quarters with negative growth. So yes, we have seen many recessions. If you want to argue the politics of how the government has handled those and whether it was right or wrong, go to the politics board.

That doesn't change the fact that while other industries experienced the recession, and negative growth, hockey and other sports were not effected greatly. Not during the oil crisis, not in the early 90s, not at the turn of the century, and not in the manufacturing/housing market crash. At none of these did sports see a dramatic downturn such as the one you are forecasting.

You can believe the cap will be under $50 million all you want, I think that belief is not founded on any sane economic projections.

If you want to say cap growth will slow? Sure I can see that, it obviously can't continue to grow at current rates indefinitely. But to say that somehow the NHL will lose close to 30% of their current revenue? and drop back to a cap level that is in 2006-07, just the second season after the cap was introduced? I just don't see such a catastrophe.
Agreed. It seems like his "prediction" was just an arbitrary guess to go against the grain and has no statistical data to indicate he might be right.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
In macroeconomics terms, it's because of price elasticity of demand. In layman's terms, this means that the demand for some goods and services is relatively resistant to price increases and money supply shortages. Alcohol, tobacco, gas, and pro sports are examples. Recession or boom, price hike or not, people will buy them and sacrifice something else instead.

When the hockey season is in full swing and many hockey fans need a new pair of winter boots, a good number of them will spend money on hockey tickets instead.

To expand on this - demand is relatively inelastic. This means that for every $1 the price increases, there will be a very small change in quantity demanded. The opposite relation holds if you decrease price by $1. If you're talking a luxury good like some fancy new kitchen appliance that normal people do not need, you'd typically see elastic demand, so quantity demanded will be more impacted by a price change than a good with inelastic demand.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Someone with a good sense of Therrien's ways, suggested it might involve Tyler Biggs(RW) in Toronto's stable of prospects. That's a player I'm in favor of having join our group, another PWF with good leadership qualities that can be a great guy for our energy line, while scoring the odd goal from the edge of the crease.

Another suggested Big Buff (Byfuglien)RD or RW, but the price tag is a little disturbing, unless the Habs think he's able to help them reach the SC Finals. Of course my love for the Habs has bigger things in mind, like Sidney Crosby wanting out of Pittsburgh, or Edmonton ready to part ways with Darnell Nurse (LD rough, tough & no cream puff PMD) this is big in my interpretation.

Anyway whatever the news could be, if our coach considers it big for the Habs, I'm all in, go for it Bergy!!!....:nod::nod::nod:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I'm blown away that people still think (or even originally thought) Therrien was referring to a trade. :laugh:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
What's the point in getting Byfuglien when we already have Tinordi on defence and Big Mac as a PWF. Brett Lernout is in the pipeline also, it may take 3-4 yrs. but the Habs have drafted the players necessary. Murray and others were used to plug those holes until our prospects could develop, their time for NHL experience is now.:nod::nod:

Imo (or imho!)...

Geting Byfuglien NOW or 4 more seasons would make a HUUUUUUGE difference, and...NOW!!!!!

Look what Chris Pronger did with the Oilers...Cup Finals.
(nobody expected them to go that far, but then...Pronger became an Oiler). Byfuglien could help Subban and Price bring the CUP back to Mtl...no doubt. Every playoff season without Big Buff is such a waste...he was made for playoffs.

Buff is that PLAYOFF WARRIOR/MACHINE LEADER that could really help us go really really far (Big Buff imo would make us VERY LEGIT as a contender, and...now).

Many options (as a dman or forward):

Markov-Byfuglien

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Byfuglien
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Byfuglien

Playoff leaders:
PK Subban
Byfuglien
Price

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Can't we close this one or change the title....as there's no actual proof that Therrien said anything close to that?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm blown away that people still think (or even originally thought) Therrien was referring to a trade. :laugh:

Same. As if a coach would blabber that a big trade is coming to a reporter in a random interview. It seems extra obvious it's anything but a trade.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

For a monopoly though, price is determined by finding the optimal quantity wherein profit (not revenue) is maximized.

I think the Habs would be a monopolistically competitive firm, so that muddles things. My point is, that demand doesn't solely determine price.

Salaries are capped, so if/once it is determined that profit goes down if the club underperforms due to not having good enough players, there is virtually no leeway in the salary number overall.

Analyzer*

You're on hfboards. 95% of the people don't know anything basic about hockey, so you can guess how gullible they are.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Similar thread in the rumors forum was shut down a few days ago.

There has been nothing new to substantiate anything since the OP. This was merely wild speculation and extrapolation.

That the thread lasted this long, is the biggest thing to have been in the works so far.

ThePriceIsRight44

Feb 6, 2014
Therrien was 100% referring to the "tough decisions" which were his #2 goalie spot, his 7th D and 12/13/14th forwards. nothing to do with a trade. I listened to the whole clip on tsn 690 like 5 times and never did I think it had to do with a trade.. close?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think we are all desperate for a major move up front.
We are somehow softer than last year?
Whack and hack PK and Max all year and what is our response?

habitue*

I think we are all desperate for a major move up front.
We are somehow softer than last year?
Whack and hack PK and Max all year and what is our response?

Yes we are softer, but taller and heavier overall.

Bergevin will have a hard time getting a gritty big nasty fighter, and that is not a liability on ice, now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad