Line Combos: Therrien Puts Juggling Lessons into Practice

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
It's sad our coach's strategies are tailored to the team's worst forward.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Considering how Pacioretty has had far better chemistry with Gallagher than with Desharnais last year, it might help him get out of his slump. I doubt it will do much for Desharnais though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes, yes. Yes DD does play with our best wingers and yes it does screw Bournival who should be in Bourque's spot.

Our best winger is Galchenyuk. Then Gallagher.

Let me rephrase. DD doesn't have the best winger. But has the best set of wingers.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Glad to see there is no bias towards the french players on this team, eh? lol. DD still getting premium ice time, pats on the back, PP... whoa.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
It's sad our coach's strategies are tailored to the team's worst forward.

That statement is accurate, sadly. From his presence in the shootout, his promotion to lines 2 and 1 and the Briere demotion, what other explanation is there? Coach T is trying to get DD going at the detriment of every other combination.

KingHab

Apr 8, 2012
This is so depressing.... can't say I'm suprised ****in Therrien. I need to step away for 3-4 games this is getting rediculous.:shakehead

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
That statement is accurate, sadly. From his presence in the shootout, his promotion to lines 2 and 1 and the Briere demotion, what other explanation is there? Coach T is trying to get DD going at the detriment of every other combination.

I am just wondering if Gomez-2 saga will continue as long as Gomez-1 did.

couris

Dec 28, 2005
Gallagher is charged the task to wake up Pacioretty and DD. Good luck Gallagher

fromthepast

Apr 3, 2013
Desharnais' doing fine on the third/forth line. If he produces, then move him up when Plekanec or Eller are in a slump. But Therrien has it backwards. He's not adjusting his lines to put his team in a position to win, he's trying to make a struggling player shine by giving him the team's best wingers (I know Max is struggling too). Why?

Look, I want Desharnais to succeed, but can Therrien please stop bending the team over so that one guy produce? Let him produce when he does. If he doesn't, then let it go....he'll lose his team by being overly favorable to a particular player.

Fifthgear

Nov 15, 2007
Montréal
Can MT explain to me this morning lines at practice?

Plekanec-Gionta-Bourque

Eller-Galchenyuk-Prust

Desharnais-Pacioretty-Gallagher

Brière-Moen-Bournival

What is doing Bournival in the 4th line and not Bourque? Offence is the problem now, wasn´t Pleckanec-Gionta-Bournival a great line? Since they separated Bournival from that line, Pleckanec-Gionta have done what? Nothing

MT wake up and fast, you are in a sleep mode like Desharnais is at this moment … :shakehead

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Doing everything to help Desharnais produce.

Sickening really!

To be honest...
It's not only DD who's being helped here, and if anything, I can see DD being replaced by Briere.
Again, it really sucks for Bournival.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Bourque-Pleckanec-Gionta... Looks like we're gonna get shutout again.

Funny how last game Pacioretty-Desharnais-Bourque was ''our best line'' and now it doesn't exist anymore.

Anyways, I will just laugh and cry at the same time if we lose tomorrow's game with this questionnable line-up.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Full on blender mode MT @JessRusnak: #habs lines: Bourque-Plek-Gio, Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust, Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher, Bournival-Briere-Moen

Breaks up EGG again, Bournival still on the 4th line.

We all know how successful this was the first time. I guess it's more important to get Desharnais going, gotta give him the team's best RW. Sounds like DD's line will be the go to offensive line.

Swap Bourque with Bournival and give it a go.

Therrien is proving his idiot status pumping DD and Bourque.

Briere is saying to himself wtf

KoZed

Mar 28, 2009
Q
This isn't catering to DD; it's catering to Pacioretty.

MT probably couldn't care less about DD. Him and Briere are interchangeable; and worst case scenario Bournival or Galchenyuk could play C as well. Right now he's using DD to spur Briere. Was the other way around a week ago. Internal competition, etc.

But Pacioretty is pretty irreplaceable right now. Habs don't have many finishers and they need Patches' scoring back, badly. Right now he has 4 pts in 12 games, on pace for a whopping 24 pts season with 12 goals. Trying him with Galchenyuk, Eller or Plekanec didn't do squat. He looked completely disinterested and lost. So MT gave him his best bud DD back. Now he's giving them a player that will go to the net and draw coverage, so Patches can keep floating around in the high slot picking his ass while waiting for those DD set ups.

Seems that's the kind of player Pacioretty is shaping up to be. A sort of Nathan Horton: big winger who can skate and shoot, but not always "there", prone to getting injured and floating around with his head in the clouds. That's the explanation behind him playing on the PK now. "We have to keep him involved in the game". Meaning: he has troubles staying focused.

Eventually Pacioretty will have to be able to get out of his comfort zone (DD) and be able to produce with whoever he plays and produce his own scoring chance.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

You have to wonder if management is getting their input on the line combos... there is no other reason on earth to explain things.

Moen is Gone

@MoeninGlory
Feb 13, 2007
Grenoble
twitter.com
i3SOjZn.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I just don't understand why Bourny was taken off Plek's wing. That trio was working well.

And didn't Therrien justify DD's usage last game by saying he thought his line was the best one? So his reasoning is to change it?? What?

This guy lost it..

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Pay an over the hill recently bought out centreman to a 4 million dollar contract...play him on the 4th line. Why the **** did we sign this guy?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's Gallagher's turn to try and spark Patches and Desharnais. It worked well last season. But I remember them playing together in the playoffs for a couple of games and I remember feeling bad for Gallagher lol.

Him and Galchenyuk have unquestionable chemistry, and it's sad that we need to split them up to rejuvenate the slumpers. It could work though.

Bournival and Briere also showed some nice chemistry, and despite the fact that I'd prefer to see them play more than 8 minutes, they are a scary 4th line that can exploit many other 4th lines around the league.

Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust were reasonably good last season. I don't see why this line wouldn't be good now. Galchenyuk seems to play with more confidence when Prust is on the ice. They're good buddies and Prust will jump on anyone that touches Galchenyuk (I'm looking at you Foligno).

Bourque-Plek-Gio is a decent line. Any line with Plek is a decent line.

Hopefully this sparks our offence, because it does look like Therrien is in full-on panic mode right now.

Just cut the crap with DD right now.. it's time to cut our losses. There is better options on the team..

Pacioretty-Briere-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Bourque
Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta
Prust-White-Moen

You can switch Gallagher and Bourque if you want to keep the EGG line together but Galchenyuk and Bourque have had good chemistry the few shifts in the past.

Bouillon should be scratched for Murray.. PP1 should be Pacioretty-Eller-Galchenyuk with Markov-Subban.. PP2 should be Briere-Plekanec-Gallagher with Emelin and Diaz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad