Rumor: Therrien extended 2 years? MurphysLaw74's twitter

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
2-year contract means we can fire him next December without feeling too bad about it.

He is winning me over, bit by bit. I see a bit of the method to his madness - and once we get rid of Bouillon and Gionta, we'll hopefully see a resurgence in offense.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Dam! He should get 6.. Talk about insecurity.

Really, I would have give him 4, just for the sake, he still could get fire and if you think he hired DD and Bouillon, think again..

We'll see how this team evolves next year, if he does worse than a ECF, we'll talk. Till then, just believe.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Maybe its not clear, or maybe should be put in the OP, but Therrien is going to get 2 years add to the 1 year left on his contract.

So he is on a 3 year deal.

Even if the Habs didn't do to well in the playoffs IMO he stills gets the 2 year deal. GM never allow a coach to go into a season with 1 only year left on his deal, they feel like he is a lame duck coach, Noel got an contract ext and was fired before it kicked in, happined to Ron Wilson, etc. Specially with teams that have money.

If you look at all the questions about Babcockt this summer, its because he has 1 year left on his deal, and has yet to sign an extention.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
No coach has had much of a run as a habs coach since pat burns.

The rest of the coaches since burns seem to get roughly 3 seasons under their belt before the message gets stale, or things just don't work anymore.

Signing for two seasons is nothing. Heck, the canucks fired tortorella with 3 years left on his deal.

This will be the highest expectation year yet since MT arrived in Montreal. If things go badly, he can still be canned next season... Just as Martin.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Well, that's a "Thanks Mike for the run!" extension from Molson more than anything :laugh:. If Therrien loses the room, he will be fired, like any other coach. But for now, he's doing a decent enough job. I see no reason to toss him and risk getting much, much worse.

Note that it's if the extension is true.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
This was reported here a couple of weeks ago,

The Montreal Canadiens and head coach Michel Therrien reportedly have already agreed on the terms of a new extension that will keep Therrien behind the bench beyond next season. The exact term of the contract is not yet known fully but according to numerous sources it seems like it will be a two-year contract extension.

My take is I would only give him a 1 year extension. In essence thats 2 years 2014-2015 and 2015-2016.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Still make no sense to extend him when he's signed for next season.

Too bad they didn't do it for PK huh

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
If it's 2 years, thank God. Maybe MB sees what many of us do. A marginal coach that is being carried by his players.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
No coach has had much of a run as a habs coach since pat burns.

The rest of the coaches since burns seem to get roughly 3 seasons under their belt before the message gets stale, or things just don't work anymore.

Signing for two seasons is nothing. Heck, the canucks fired tortorella with 3 years left on his deal.

This will be the highest expectation year yet since MT arrived in Montreal. If things go badly, he can still be canned next season... Just as Martin.

That means absolutely nothing. No coach has had a team as good as this one since Pat Burns either. Julien, Vignault, Martin could have gotten a lot more out of this roster.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
2 years is good. No point giving more to a coach unless he's really exceptional. 2 years means he's easily fired. And I'm sure it will be just as easy to keep him around should we want it past that.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
If he coaches like he did in the post-season then I'll be happy. If he posts like he did throughout much of the season, I'll be rather annoyed.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I dont know if it is true,

https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/status/473829328615383040

@TonyMarinaro reports on @TSN690RadioMtl that Michel Therrien has been signed to 2-year contract extension by the Canadiens.

Perfect.

We will have the stars aligned in the ultimate numbers game that will be a statistician's dream.......with Therrien at the helm.

24 Stanley Cups for the Habs and 24 Years since the last Stanley Cup Victory.

Therrien will be 53 years old. 24+24=48+5 years of Therrien coaching with the Habs = 53.

Go Habs Go!!!!!!

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Perfect.

We will have the stars aligned in the ultimate numbers game that will be a statistician's dream.......with Therrien at the helm.

Therrien will be 53 years old. 24+24=48+5 years of Therrien coaching with the Habs = 53.

Go Habs Go!!!!!!

168.gif

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Perfect.

Go Habs Go!!!!!!
You have too much time on your hands. :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Don't want him back, but I don't see Bergevin letting him go after these two years. The shorter the term the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad