Rumor: Therrien extended 2 years? MurphysLaw74's twitter

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Nope, the Rangers were completly dominating possession and scoring chances.

I think vanek hitting that post really blinded people to how bad we really were in that game.

I was ready to see the habs get bounced, I knew it was a real possibility. But not like that..

That was me that entire game.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
1, 2, 4 or 8 years... It doesn't really matter. When coaches go, its usually because they are fired before their term is up. We knew Bergevin wanted to keep him, I hope nobody is surprised.

Well it does matter. 4 years, you are really THE coach and quite a few things will happen before we think of firing you. 1 year, you are been heavily scrutinized. 2 years....well.....good job. Yet....don't screw up and keep improving or else.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Well it does matter. 4 years, you are really THE coach and quite a few things will happen before we think of firing you. 1 year, you are been heavily scrutinized. 2 years....well.....good job. Yet....don't screw up and keep improving or else.

I'm still not sure how legit this is. Marinaro is a legit source for us to keep the thread up but he's been wrong before and I wouldn't be surprised if he were wrong about the term here.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm still not sure how legit this is. Marinaro is a legit source for us to keep the thread up but he's been wrong before and I wouldn't be surprised if he were wrong about the term here.

I really hope it's true. I do not want a 4-yaer for Therrien. 3-years at best. 2-years is good news. Anyway...doesn't he has 1 year left which in the end 2 more years means 3 years?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why does it suck? Are you allergic to winning or something?

Because I think he's not the type of coach who gets the best out of his roster?
I think he's stubborn, unimaginative, doesn't know how to use his players, doesn't know the strength of his players, doesn't know how to create diverse gameplans, can't introduce new strategies, can't adjust during the game. Constantly gets caught with the wrong match-ups, the wrong guys on the ice, is stupid with who he puts on the ice after a goal, makes the wrong decision for defensive and offensive zone face-off lines.

I can go on and on. His shortcomings outweigh the fact he has Carey Price stealing games for him.

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
I think he's stubborn, unimaginative, doesn't know how to use his players, doesn't know the strength of his players, doesn't know how to create diverse gameplans, can't introduce new strategies, can't adjust during the game. Constantly gets caught with the wrong match-ups, the wrong guys on the ice, is stupid with who he puts on the ice after a goal, makes the wrong decision for defensive and offensive zone face-off lines.

I can go on and on. His shortcomings outweigh the fact he has Carey Price stealing games for him.

hehehe doesnt get the best out of his players...
you tell me we had a roster that everybody predicted would get 100pts season and a conference final...

hehe-lizard-150x150.jpg

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
hehehe doesnt get the best out of his players...
you tell me we had a roster that everybody predicted would get 100pts season and a conference final...

hehe-lizard-150x150.jpg

No he doesn't have a roster that was supposed to get 100pts......but as the poster you replied to said in his post.....he had Carey Price and without him, with how that teams played....they aren't a 100pts team.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Whatever Therrien is fine for what he is

Guy's always gonna be kinda dumb for thinking JJ Daigneault should teach the kids to play defence over Larry Robinson tho

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Price had a good year, but let's be serious. If he was a bad coach he'd have missed the playoffs, not gotten the team to the semi finals and beating out a favored Bruins team.

You're letting you own interpretation cloud your judgment. Most people who know the game seem to think MT is good at putting guys in situations to succeed. Not only do you exaggerate his "shortcomings" but you create some that don't exist.

Ridiculous.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Of course he'll get an extension.

And it's sort of mixed feelings for me as well. Did some good things, but need to cut the cr4p (grinding team, favoritism etc).

RaMMuT

Tank Nation 2012
Jul 22, 2009
Montreal
I'm fine with that. Just because he was signed for 2 years doesn't mean he will stay all 2 years. He can get fired if they start doing bad and we miss the playoffs.

He's a good coach. Stop being such debbie downers :)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm okay with 2 years. It's not like any possible firing has any cap issues tot he team. Look at Torts and the $8MM left on his contract.

As long as Molson is willing to pick up a year or 2 if need be, I'm fine with it.

Besides, as much as I hate to say this, MT has earned an extention this year. Next year and there after we'll see. I will always want us to get a top tier coach like Babcock, Quenville etc. if/when they become available though. In the mean time, MT will have to suffice!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
that ****ing suck.

Why coaches have to be extended when they have a year left on their deal?

Blame the media pushing this to no end.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Are you paying his salary? What do you care how much he gets paid or how long the term is?
We're all paying his salary in one form or another.

What do I care? Well I care about the team. I care about the fact that MT is a stubborn coach who plays favourites with inferior players, throws guys under the bus, uses archaic systems over ones that have been proven to be successful. I care that he alienates and minimizes the ice time of better players. I care that the same guys get thrown onto the PP no matter how they're doing. I care that he's hurting the development of players who should be in the lineup and getting more ice.

I care that we were bottom third in shots for, shots against and total goals. I care that our PP (which should be best in the league) fell from first to middle of the pack. And I care that the only reason we made the playoffs this year was because of awesome goaltending. This despite having the best roster we've had at our disposal in years.

In short, I care about the success of this team even if you don't.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Price had a good year, but let's be serious. If he was a bad coach he'd have missed the playoffs, not gotten the team to the semi finals and beating out a favored Bruins team.

You're letting you own interpretation cloud your judgment. Most people who know the game seem to think MT is good at putting guys in situations to succeed. Not only do you exaggerate his "shortcomings" but you create some that don't exist.

Ridiculous.

Yup, every time Tinordi and Beaulieu were in the line-up with Bouillon, they had to play their off-side. Great coaching and putting your rookies up for success, especially in Beaulieu's case, to put him on his off side, as a rookie, in the play-offs, because you can't rely on your "stout veteran" to play on his off side.

Early PP against the Rangers and instead of understanding the situation, taking the time-out and getting his top PP unit back on the ice. He went with an under performing powerplay unit that did nothing all game. They stayed out for a 1:30 without producing a shot, we didn't score on the PP and later lost the game.

Consistently he puts his worst defensive pair out with his fourth line. Briere and Bouillon fumbling around uselessly in their defensive zone while the Rangers produced the only goal in game 6. Another example of understanding the situation and putting out players in a situation to succeed.

All series long against the Rangers we were stuck in our zone, icing the puck, yet at no point did he teach a break out involving short passes and creating speed through the neutral zone. Stuck to icing and turning the puck over, many goals against caused by the wingers being at the attacking blueline while our D turned the puck over.

Galchenyuk and Eller notably missing from the powerplay all season and most of the series. Didn't matter that Eller was our most productive center in the play-offs. The minutes had to go to Davey. Always Davey. Didn't matter DD was barely productive in any situation during the play-offs. He played his favorites and died with them.

What else do we need to know about this expert tactician? Oh, that we watched both our D chase the puck behind the net constantly. Always bleeding goals and glorious scoring chances because a peewee level adjustment was never taught or implemented into our gameplan. Why were we always chasing the puck behind our net, with both D men and our center none the less? God knows. You can say players failed to execute. Maybe one game or two. But every game? Nope, thats on the coaches to identify the problem and rectify it.

How often did we lament his time out use? He never ever had the pulse of the game. Many situations where we needed a time out to calm down, to get the players back on the ice that we need, but he stuffed them in his back pocket and had them rusting in those pockets by the end of the game.

Line up decisions were always a problem. Murray against the Bruins was one example of that. Every one knew that decision would cost us and it did. We were lucky that the Bruins kept giving us motivation to beat them or we may not have gotten out of that series alive. Prust playing at all was always mind boggling. The guy was clearly broken and never really contributed anything to the team except receiving a suspension.

How about the development of Galchenyuk? Kid with a boat load of talent never seeing the powerplay time he deserved. Still stuck on the wing despite every one knowing he has more talent and wherewithal on the ice than Desharnais. Had one game at center and it was against the incredibly deep St. Louis Blues team. Baptism by fire and no chance at redemption. When players get waived out of the circle, he doesn't even come in on the draw. Why would we not use that opportunity to give him more reps on face-offs at the NHL level to help with the adjustment later? No matter what your thoughts are on development and "Cases" to the contrary, you can't learn Center at the NHL level by being on the wing. The responsibilities are different, defensively, offensively, positioning wise and virtue of carrying the puck as well. Especially when we are primarily a dump and chase team.

These are a selected few of the many, many problems with Therrien. Let's not herald him as some amazing coach because Price had an incredible year. Bishop was injured in round 1 and the Bruins lost their minds and gave us ammunition to beat them. Hes still the same moron who gets out coached and got embarrassed by the Senators last year. The same Senators team that failed to even threaten for the play-offs this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad