Rumor: Therrien extended 2 years? MurphysLaw74's twitter

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
That means absolutely nothing. No coach has had a team as good as this one since Pat Burns either. Julien, Vignault, Martin could have gotten a lot more out of this roster.

Vigneault back then wasn't the coach he is today.

Julien, okay, he was already good.

Martin is overrated as hell these days. Good coach, no doubt but I doubt he gets better results.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well we knew it had to happen given the success in these series. We escaped this one cause it's only two years.

But he better play the kids next year or GTFO.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Martin is overrated as hell these days. Good coach, no doubt but I doubt he gets better results.

Martin got the same results with a much more inferior team. Vignault was a tactician with the Habs. Just not as experienced and didn't have the horses. He had thibault man.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Martin is given credit for the ECF in 2010, but he did well in 2011 as well.

Took a bad team to sixth place in the conference, then lost in 7 games in OT to Boston, the eventual cup winner.

So Martin had teo legitimate appearances in the playoffs in three years with three mediocre teams.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If Therrien is back next year, he needs to be extended at least two years. Otherwise, he becomes a lame duck coach and the players will, instinctively, rebel as soon as they get less ice time, are given smaller roles, etc.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I don't even get why they give them guaranteed contracts to begin with.

It's the least they can do, the way they toss them... they're human beings with family, they should be treated with respect.

His contract doesn't count against the cap, so who cares, the habs are filthy rich, they can fire him any day, with or without a big contract.

I hate Therrien, he might produce now, but he's screwing our future with the way he's using the young players... (oh, and his coaching decisions are awfull... no1 reason why we lost against NYR, didn't prepare his team properly for game 1... the rest is history).

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

JM would have had Moen on the 1st line, Eller and Beaulieu traded.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
The guy gets us from last on the Eastern Conference to two consecutive playoff years finishing 2nd and 3rd in the conference and people still give him no credit at all. I am so glad that you guys are not the GM of the Habs.

And for those who think we have a stellar cup worthy team, let me pop your ballooon: No, we don't. This team overachieved this year.

Deep team??? seriously? Hey, I love some of the players we have, but if you think we are a deep stacked team then I guess it is because we have 4 third lines. Our two scoring leaders are at number SIXTY and SEVENTY FIVE in the league (not counting Vanek).

And don't get me started on defense, because after PK...there is not a lot of elite players there. I love Markov but if these playoffs proved something, it is that his best days are behind.

So bottom line, as Bergevin said, yes we do have nice pieces in place, but there is a lot of work still ahead to be considered serious contenders. Cut Therrien some slack, the guy is not perfect but he is pushing the right buttons so far with the lineup that we have.

Alexander Edler*

The guy gets us from last on the Eastern Conference to two consecutive playoff years finishing 2nd and 3rd in the conference and people still give him no credit at all. I am so glad that you guys are not the GM of the Habs.

This guy knows what's up. I'm sure we all have our complaints about how the team gets coached sometimes, but fact is Therrien has improved this team. The current core is not far off from the one that finished last in the conference a few years ago.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

And for those who think we have a stellar cup worthy team, let me pop your ballooon: No, we don't. This team overachieved this year.

Deep team??? seriously? Hey, I love some of the players we have, but if you think we are a deep stacked team then I guess it is because we have 4 third lines. Our two scoring leaders are at number SIXTY and SEVENTY FIVE in the league (not counting Vanek).

And don't get me started on defense, because after PK...there is not a lot of elite players there. I love Markov but if these playoffs proved something, it is that his best days are behind.

So bottom line, as Bergevin said, yes we do have nice pieces in place, but there is a lot of work still ahead to be considered serious contenders. Cut Therrien some slack, the guy is not perfect but he is pushing the right buttons so far with the lineup that we have.

He pushed the right buttons, I just think he's not the most forward-thinker whether it's for being afraid to play the kids or the way he changed our puck possession style that we've had last year to a more defensive style which if anything made this team more vulnerable.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
He pushed the right buttons, I just think he's not the most forward-thinker whether it's for being afraid to play the kids or the way he changed our puck possession style that we've had last year to a more defensive style which if anything made this team more vulnerable.

He might not be willing to revolutionize Hockey, but is that what we want? or is it to win a cup? Look what guys like Darryl Sutter and Claude Julien have done with defense first mentality kind of coaching. Defense wins championships and rock em sock em kind of Hockey with a good mix of talent still is King (no pun intended). Therrien has proved that he can adapt, learn and change much better than people think. Look how different his pressers where during this playoffs and last year's. All I'm saying is that he has gotten results from a team that a lot of persons didn't even think was going to make the playoffs. He is no Bowman, but he is no schlep either.

Careful what you wish people, look how long a forward-thinker like Guy Boucher lasted in this league....and I think that guy is competent, by the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad