There's a play in game Saturday and the leagues American TV partner won't show it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
If the Flyers lose by 2 goals today & The Panthers win both today & tomorrow in a shootout, there would be a play-in game on Tuesday because both would be tied in all 3 tiebreaker categories.

Thanks for the lesson. I had no idea that was even a possibility.

Who gets home ice advantage for that game? Coin flip?

m.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
No one is more annoying than Coc Emrick.

There are a couple guys who try; but they can't equal his perpetual stupidity..

(Knowing the Fort Wayne Komets from 1964 does not make one hockey savvy...)

I lost complete faith last year when STL was playing NASH in the playoffs and every time Austin Watson touched the puck Pierre either called him Auston Matthews or started talking about Auston Matthews. For a second I thought I was listening to the HF broadcast of the game.

Not to mention hearing Doc and Eddie remind me of the NHL video game and the Blackhawks.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What play in game?

The regular season doesn't end until Sunday.

What are you talking about? This is game #82 for both colorado and St Louis and the winner advances to the playoffs (caveat: Colorado needs to win in regulation)., hence a play in game.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Well this is splendid, because you're both correct, sort of.....

What happens if Colorado wins in overtime or shootout and they're tied at 95 points?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Well this is splendid, because you're both correct, sort of.....

What happens if Colorado wins in overtime or shootout and they're tied at 95 points?

Tons of threads about it. Seems it's 100% sure St.Louis makes it if they can hold a tie in regulation. Unless they pull their goalie in OT and get an empty-netter against, which curiously loses the loser point according to some rule. But that's not gonna happen.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Typical. NBC/NBCSN forces meaningless regular season games down our throats but they don't show the one game (essentially a Game 7) that matters.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I'm pretty sure I read it would be a coin flip.

Quick Googling got me this:
An equally weighted draw will be conducted by the League to determine home ice advantage.

Interestingly the rules for this mythical game 83 would be playoff rules. Five on five OT, 20 minute OT periods, and, I infer, referee whistles stored in the referee's upper gastro intestinal tracts.

m.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
The NHL feels like the red headed step child compared to the other big leagues in the US, I don't get why. I don't like basketball, but I can absolutely appreciate watching an NBA/MLB game if it's the playoffs..

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm learning a lot in this thread - I never heard the term 'play-in game'; I'm inferring that it means a 'win and you're in' game?

But I can't come up with anything that tells me what this mythical Philly-Florida game reference is to. Can someone enlighten the unenlightened?

Thanks,

m.

The term "play-in game", as I understand it, is most commonly used when referring to the First Four games in March Madness, which come BEFORE the first round where 64 teams play 32 games. You can also use it to refer to the Wild Card game in the new MLB format where each division has 3 divisional champs and 2 Wild Cards, so 1 WC gets eliminated before the post-season really starts. You could call the seeds 3-6 games in the NFL games "play-in games" in a sense, because seeds 1 and 2 have a bye.
Quick Googling got me this:
An equally weighted draw will be conducted by the League to determine home ice advantage.

Interestingly the rules for this mythical game 83 would be playoff rules. Five on five OT, 20 minute OT periods, and, I infer, referee whistles stored in the referee's upper gastro intestinal tracts.

m.

Per NHL rules, the whistles will be stored in the lower GI tract, closest to the brain of the ref.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
SNL isn't a repeat tonight; Chadewick Boseman and Cardi B. That's actually quite relevant: In 2001, the fledgling XFL delayed a highly-promoted JLo episode for 45 minutes. The show started a little late, but actually wasn't live - it was broadcast to the east coast the same way it used to be delayed to the west coast. Because it started so late, ratings suffered, which pissed off Lorne Michaels. He managed to get the XFL to change a few of their rules so that the games would be guaranteed to end at 11.

So, NBC showing STL/COL on the main network at 9 PM EST definitely wouldn't work, since you need a minimum 3 hour block for an NHL game. In fact, 3 hours should usually be sufficient, except for outdoor games, which can be delayed. In fact, one of the outdoor games this year was broadcast on Saturday night and delayed due to the lights going out. The game transferred to NBCSN at 11 PM because of a live SNL later that night.

There's an SNL repeat on at 9 pm Central. Maybe it's not on anywhere else but right in the middle of the game is an SNL repeat.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Ugh. I use to swear up and down when a game I wanted to watch on Gamecenter Live wasn't available because it was playing on the NHL Network. I'm like " F***, I paid my money already to watch my team"

You paid money for Gamecenter Live to watch out-of-market games that were not being broadcast nationally (which includes the NHL Network). You were getting exactly what you paid for. If you're not getting something that you thought you paid for, that's your problem for not understanding what you purchased.

danderson400

May 21, 2015
SNL isn't a repeat tonight; Chadewick Boseman and Cardi B. That's actually quite relevant: In 2001, the fledgling XFL delayed a highly-promoted JLo episode for 45 minutes. The show started a little late, but actually wasn't live - it was broadcast to the east coast the same way it used to be delayed to the west coast. Because it started so late, ratings suffered, which pissed off Lorne Michaels. He managed to get the XFL to change a few of their rules so that the games would be guaranteed to end at 11.

So, NBC showing STL/COL on the main network at 9 PM EST definitely wouldn't work, since you need a minimum 3 hour block for an NHL game. In fact, 3 hours should usually be sufficient, except for outdoor games, which can be delayed. In fact, one of the outdoor games this year was broadcast on Saturday night and delayed due to the lights going out. The game transferred to NBCSN at 11 PM because of a live SNL later that night.
CBC has the same issues. Remember the game in Denver starts at 9, so if they wanted to show it, they'd need to drop OTT/BOS or CHI/WPG.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You paid money for Gamecenter Live to watch out-of-market games that were not being broadcast nationally (which includes the NHL Network). You were getting exactly what you paid for. If you're not getting something that you thought you paid for, that's your problem for not understanding what you purchased.

It's a Join in Progress for starters. I don't understand why it's not viewable on Game Center just because NHLN is simulcasting the Altitude feed.

Also, I have Center Ice Cable Package through TV provider and I can bypass NHLN.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

There aren’t normally three games on NHL network, but yeah, I get that. It’s just frustrating for those of us in media markets in which NHL network isn’t an option via cable.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
NHL Network is showing it though. Anyway I want to see a goalie pulled in a tie game!!
Also tonight has the Frozen 4 final, and Avs vs Blues, and the Normal Predators game so I will be flipping channels all night long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad