There's a play in game Saturday and the leagues American TV partner won't show it

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I do find it pretty ridiculous that a Game Center subscription doesn’t get you access to NHL network.

I mean I haven’t watched nhl network in a few years but their programming was pretty bad. Not worth the cost.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'll respectfully disagree. If you have something that matters, you do everything you can to ensure that it is the most important thing on your agenda, otherwise, it simply isn't.
Who said regular season hockey was the most important thing on NBC's agenda?

They are about to play over a month of playoff hockey on their networks. It's clear you don't understand the complexity of the situation.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Thank god it's not on NBC SPorts. I'd rather not listen to Doc Pierre and Eddie. I'll stick with the local broadcast

No one is more annoying than C*c Emrick.

There are a couple guys who try; but they can't equal his perpetual stupidity..

(Knowing the Fort Wayne Komets from 1964 does not make one hockey savvy...)

Last edited:
Reactions: ek93

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
If you have something that matters, you do everything you can to ensure that it is the most important thing on your agenda, otherwise, it simply isn't.
Are you implying hockey isn't the most important thing to NBC?!

No way!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Uhh,it would be preempting an IndyCar race. I personally wouldn't care if they did but you'd have quite a few IndyCar fans that are rightly pissed off that their race was taken off the air for a regular season NHL game, regardless of it being a play-in game. And sure NBC is airing re-runs of Superstore, Dateline and SNL during the game but on short notice, on a Saturday night when not many people are going to be inside watching TV anyways, for a game that starts at 9 pm Eastern, does it really make sense to fly a crew out there to call a game that's going to have minimal interest outside of Denver and St. Louis?

SNL isn't a repeat tonight; Chadewick Boseman and Cardi B. That's actually quite relevant: In 2001, the fledgling XFL delayed a highly-promoted JLo episode for 45 minutes. The show started a little late, but actually wasn't live - it was broadcast to the east coast the same way it used to be delayed to the west coast. Because it started so late, ratings suffered, which pissed off Lorne Michaels. He managed to get the XFL to change a few of their rules so that the games would be guaranteed to end at 11.

So, NBC showing STL/COL on the main network at 9 PM EST definitely wouldn't work, since you need a minimum 3 hour block for an NHL game. In fact, 3 hours should usually be sufficient, except for outdoor games, which can be delayed. In fact, one of the outdoor games this year was broadcast on Saturday night and delayed due to the lights going out. The game transferred to NBCSN at 11 PM because of a live SNL later that night.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
No one is more annoying than Coc Emrick.

There are a couple guys who try; but they can't equal his perpetual stupidity..

(Knowing the Fort Wayne Komets from 1964 does not make one hockey savvy...)

"Hold our Drinks!!" - Jim Hughson and Paul Romanuk

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Wth is a play in game? The PHI-FLA one that has like 1 in 10000 chances of happening?

I'm learning a lot in this thread - I never heard the term 'play-in game'; I'm inferring that it means a 'win and you're in' game?

But I can't come up with anything that tells me what this mythical Philly-Florida game reference is to. Can someone enlighten the unenlightened?

Thanks,

m.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
I'm learning a lot in this thread - I never heard the term 'play-in game'; I'm inferring that it means a 'win and you're in' game?

But I can't come up with anything that tells me what this mythical Philly-Florida game reference is to. Can someone enlighten the unenlightened?

Thanks,

m.
If the Flyers lose by 2 goals today & The Panthers win both today & tomorrow in a shootout, there would be a play-in game on Tuesday because both would be tied in all 3 tiebreaker categories.

Reactions: TheDeuce

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I'll take your word on that, never heard him before. but will gladly disagree and say Doc is one of the best.
Each to his own my friend, that's why we can politely disagree. I hate everything about Emrick, from his big whiskey nose, to his squeaky voice, to his asinine cliches.

But I'm old school. If you like him, so be it.

Reactions: ek93

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
No it isn't, it is game 82 in each teams schedule. Just because it works out that it is there last game of the season, doesn't make it a "Play-in Game!"
The winner of the game is in the playoffs. The loser is not.

It’s a play-in game.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Another thing that happened once was being blacked out of a game that wasn't even close to the region I was living. That was infuriating.
territorial protection is the biggest mound of horse puckey that Bettman ever came up with(yes worse then the shootout) it's a cash grab pure and simple. The protection is supposed to protect and retain the teams fan bases, but wave a dollar in their face and that integrity flies right out the window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad