Dreger: There Is Trade Interest In Phaneuf. Sens Likely To Take Contract/$ Back

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If you had no Phaneuf you would be protecting Methot and saving money and more specifically the cap hit. You could have had 7million to go out and get a d-men who could easily outperform Phaneuf.

You live in a fantasy land if you think it's as easy as just going out and getting a defender who can out perform Phaneuf.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
If you had no Phaneuf you would be protecting Methot and saving money and more specifically the cap hit. You could have had 7million to go out and get a d-men who could easily outperform Phaneuf.

And we likely miss the playoffs instead of 9 home dates and a great deep 3 round run.

The trade already has made the Sens many millions of actual $$$. More than Phaneuf's contract.

The Sens have already got huge benefits from the trade.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
So assuming he wasn't traded, looks like Marc Methot will be a Golden Knight, or do the Sens go 4-4?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If Sens go 4 4 it means Brassard is gone. Basically traded Zibanejad and a 2nd for nothing. Not happening.

Sens will do 7 -3

Oct 10, 2010
So assuming he wasn't traded, looks like Marc Methot will be a Golden Knight, or do the Sens go 4-4?
Hopefully 4-4

I think it's easier and cheaper to replace bottom 6 forwards over top 4 d-man.

Phaneuf
Karlsson
Ceci
Methot

Turris
Hoffman
Stone
Brassard.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
4-4 makes the most sense, but I guess I am just really high on Pageau. If we could make a minor side deal to lose Smith instead of Pageau, I could live with it.

I wouldn't want to lose Smith either, but Methot is more valuable than Smith, and let's be real Smith or Pageau are who they are either taking or themselves or flipping.

If we go 7-3-1 without trading Phaneuf or Methot, I'd hope that would mean that the market was so crappy for both of them, that it will lower the odds of Vegas selecting Methot to flip, and maybe open up an opportunity for us to make a cheaper side deal to keep Methot.

It's looking more and more like we'll lose Methot for nothing (well technically to shield our second best exposed player...but there's a huge drop off in value between Methot and Claesson or Wideman). A deal could have still been made prior to the deadline and has just not been announced yet.

Edit: There's been some claims by other posters that RFAs rights cannot be taken by Vegas, and they have to AGREE to sign during the signing period or else Vegas cannot select them. This doesn't make sense to me, but if this is the case, 4-4 is a no brainer because there's a good chance Pageau won't sign with Vegas, he clearly wants to stay in Ottawa. Losing Smith would suck, but Methot is more important. If this is in fact the case, 4-4 should be an EASY choice.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Pageau is their best defensive forward at 23 and keeps on getting better. A centre that can play all four lines and be effective in that role.

Methot is their best shutdown defenceman, plays on the first pair. Not much wrt offence.

Phaneuf is a one of the better number 3 defencemen with good offensive traits from the point.

I wanna keep both Pageau and Methot, in that order. But every ticking minute it appears Ottawa will lose one of Pageau or Methot, with the latter being more likely as I am sure management recognizes Pageau has more value. Didn't hear any whispers that Ottawa is trying to trade a forward, by all accounts it is one of Phaneuf or Methot they are trying to get value for.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Pageau is their best defensive forward at 23 and keeps on getting better.

Methot is their best shutdown defenceman, plays on the first pair. Not much wrt offence.

Phaneuf is a one of the better number 3 defencemen with good offensive traits from the point.

I wanna keep both Pageau and Methot, in that order. But every ticking minute it appears Ottawa will lose one of Pageau or Methot.

There's no guarantee Vegas would take Pageau over Smith who is a season removed from 25 goals and on a very team friendly contract. I could see how a team would choose Smith over Pageau, but at the same time I wouldn't want to take that risk.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Pay LV your 2017 1st rounder for them to take Bobby Ryan then both Pageau and Methot are kept.

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Bet you the Sens sent a 1st to Vegas so they don't take Methot and take someone else.

Why?

We'd still lose a player like Claesson, Burrows, Wideman, etc... and would then have one less asset to replace them with.

Might as well wait till after expansion and see what that 1st could return.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Well unless they have a deal done with Vegas they are going to lose a top 4 d man for nothing

that qualifies as screwed if that happens

With Claesson/Harour/Chabot all in the wings to fill Methots spot, and a spare 4.9Mil in Cap, we will be fine.

Vegas is giving Ottawa (and every other team) 17Mil to join the league, they deserve to get some good players! And we have the depth to tank that blow

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I suspect the Sens are okay with losing Methot and his cap hit and let claesson take his spot (which he did when meth lost his finger)

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Methot is the odd man out of Ottawa I think.

I also think Vegas trades him to another team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad