Dreger: There Is Trade Interest In Phaneuf. Sens Likely To Take Contract/$ Back

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
IMO he's been a good fit in Ottawa.

Can't see a landing spot for him either.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Maybe...Detroit, since they are a team in dire need of defensemen? I'm not entirely sure which team would be interested in him, given his salary(even if a part of it is retained).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's not like Melnyk to retain salary so I'm guessing it would be a somewhat poor contract going back instead.

Wonder would he go back to Calgary. Could see a Brouwer/Phaneuf swap as a possibility.
Or maybe to Dallas for Cody Eakin

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I thought he was good?

Ottawa's D is going to take a hit without him, no?

It will, and it won't.

He played on our shutdown pair with Ceci, so we will be missing that.

In saying that, the pair was hemmed in very often, and he struggles mightily with sustained pressure and the cycle.

I can't see Phaneuf traded:
A: He won't waive, good luck finding 12/30
B: The Sens won't find a deal they want

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I said in another Phaneuf thread that there's zero chance the Rangers trade for him, but I'll amend that to say that the only trade they might do would be Staal for Phaneuf. Ottawa saves 4.3 mil in actual money and 1.3 mil in cap space. The Rangers get the better player.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
He doesn't have a full NTC.

I know which is why I said good luck. If they can find one of the 12 teams on his list that wants him then maybe he'll move. Otherwise they're ****ed because he's almost definitely not interested in doing them any favors with how the NMC thing played out.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Would only happen pre-expansion as a way to protect Methot and Ceci. He's actually been a great fit and I can't see anyone making a move for him (especially in the short amount of time left before expansion)

This likely ends with a Methot/Ceci trade (or just losing Methot via expansion).

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I said in another Phaneuf thread that there's zero chance the Rangers trade for him, but I'll amend that to say that the only trade they might do would be Staal for Phaneuf. Ottawa saves 4.3 mil in actual money and 1.3 mil in cap space. The Rangers get the better player.

Ottawa won't downgrade for those minimal savings, and doesn't Staal need to be protected as well? That defeats the whole purpose of trading Phaneuf.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
I thought he was good?

Ottawa's D is going to take a hit without him, no?

It will for sure but i guess the Sens feel losing Methot would be even worst.

Trading Phaneuf would be only done o saver Methot. We could make a deal with Vegas but they must be asking for more then we are willing to give up.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Ottawa won't downgrade for those minimal savings, and doesn't Staal need to be protected as well? That defeats the whole purpose of trading Phaneuf.

He does. I didn't say Ottawa would do it, just that it's the only deal the Rangers might consider for Phaneuf.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bob Mckenzie hinted this was a possibility in his tweet yesterday. One of Dion, Ceci, or Methot are likely to be moved. As a GM you just can't let one go to LV and get nothing back. Even a token pick 3rd to 5th rd is of value.

On that note, I think Dion in Edmonton would be perfect if salary is retained. He's born there, and the Oilers are the up and coming team in the NHL. I would say almost any player would waive to go there now. Oilers would be one of the favorites to win the cup next year with this move IMO.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's not like Melnyk to retain salary so I'm guessing it would be a somewhat poor contract going back instead.

Wonder would he go back to Calgary. Could see a Brouwer/Phaneuf swap as a possibility.

Or maybe to Dallas for Cody Eakin

Senators taking a contract back is my guess as well as I have not seen EM retain in the past.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't know if Ottawa wants to take Lehtonen. Wouldn't they be just fine with Anderson and Condon?

Lehtonen is still a great backup, he had great underlying numbers (Which alone don't mean much and I still think he'd be a poor goalie on an elite defensive team), but hey a big improvement in team defense and in a backup role with the Sens should help. Phaneuf stabilizes the Dallas Stars D especially if they get Mirai (My nickname for Heskainen).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00