Dreger: There Is Trade Interest In Phaneuf. Sens Likely To Take Contract/$ Back

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Well he goes today or Ottawa is screwed
Not necessarily.

You could see Ceci go for NYR for Holden + 21st overall + another piece. Or maybe to TOR for Carrick + 17th overall + another piece. In that scenario, NYR would protect McDonagh Staal Ceci or TOR would protect Rielly Gardiner Ceci. Senators let Claesson battle it out with Carrick/Holden for the #4 spot if he isn't drafted by Vegas. Or something similar with Methot maybe, if they think Karlsson can pair with Dion.

OR they could do one of those trades, and then package pick 17/21 with a prospect and chase a quality defenseman at the entry draft, which is post expansion.

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Claesson/Holden/Carrick
Borowiecki - Holden/Carrick/Wideman
Wideman/UFA 7th guy
(plus Sens get pick 17/21)

OR

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Hjalmarsson/Barrie/Vatanen
Borowiecki - Claesson/Carrick/Holden
Carrick/Holden/Wideman

I'm not saying this is preferable, but it's very doable. Ottawa isn't "screwed".

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
After the draft, I'd take Phaneuf full pull for the right combination of assets and cap dumps.

However my understanding is that it isn't just a money issue, but an expansion draft issue. Have I gotten that right?

Yeah it's an expansion issue, because unless we work out a side deal with Vegas it would mean exposing one of methot/Ceci/pageau/Smith (depending on what protection format we use for the draft)

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not necessarily.

You could see Ceci go for NYR for Holden + 21st overall + another piece. Or maybe to TOR for Carrick + 17th overall + another piece. In that scenario, NYR would protect McDonagh Staal Ceci or TOR would protect Rielly Gardiner Ceci. Senators let Claesson battle it out with Carrick/Holden for the #4 spot if he isn't drafted by Vegas. Or something similar with Methot maybe, if they think Karlsson can pair with Dion.

OR they could do one of those trades, and then package pick 17/21 with a prospect and chase a quality defenseman at the entry draft, which is post expansion.

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Claesson/Holden/Carrick
Borowiecki - Holden/Carrick/Wideman
Wideman/UFA 7th guy
(plus Sens get pick 17/21)

OR

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Hjalmarsson/Barrie/Vatanen
Borowiecki - Claesson/Carrick/Holden
Carrick/Holden/Wideman

I'm not saying this is preferable, but it's very doable. Ottawa isn't "screwed".

Scratch the Leafs trade....they wouldn't make that trade for Ceci. They are a better team with Carrick+player taken at 17+whatever other piece you were thinking than with just Ceci.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I can't wait for the anti-Ceci crowd to eat crow like some did for Ryan in the playoffs.

Guy is ridiculously under rated. Thank god management knows better.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
sign McClement as a UFA
sign Gustavsson as a UFA

then

Phaneuf @ 50%
MacArthur
Stalberg (UFA rights)

for

Komarov
Leivo
Lupul
Polak (UFA rights)

JVR Bozak Marner
Hyman Mathhews Nylander
MacArthur Kadri Brown
Martin McClement Stalberg

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Phaneuf
Marincin Carrick

Andersen
Gustavsson

You put a lot of thought into this? :help:

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I'd think Vegas would rather choose Claesson over Methot. More years under control and has more upside. They dont need a player in their prime when they aren't competing for the next few years.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't want to lose anyone, but losing Methot is not, in any way, the end of the world. I don't know why people are suggesting Claesson. Someone like Dallas or Pheonix will offer Vegas something good for Methot, so he will be taken over Claesson.

Playoffs were a huge boon. Harpur and Claesson's experience makes me much more comfortable with losing Methot.

Phaneuf is much more versatile than Methot, much harder to replace internally, is signed longer, and doesn't make that much more than Methot in real dollars.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
If LV chooses Methot, it's to trade him elsewhere either in the offseason or at next year's deadline. If it's Claesson who looks like he can be a promising second pairing defenceman at some point, it's to develop him.

I'd guess, if the two players are made available to LV (i.e., no protection trade), 75% chance they take Methot, 20% chance they take Claesson, and 5% they see someone else that they want to add (Ryan/Wideman/Dzingle?).

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If LV chooses Methot, it's to trade him elsewhere either in the offseason or at next year's deadline. If it's Claesson who looks like he can be a promising second pairing defenceman at some point, it's to develop him.

I'd guess, if the two players are made available to LV (i.e., no protection trade), 75% chance they take Methot, 20% chance they take Claesson, and 5% they see someone else that they want to add (Ryan/Wideman/Dzingle?).

Dzingel is a real option, IMO. Very few forwards with top-6 upside and he's cheap and cost controlled. Plays a two-way game.

I thought Wideman was a possibility earlier in the year when i figured all the RHD would be gone, but ti looks like some will still be available.

If all the RHD do get traded and protected though, McPhee could want him.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
That Phaneuf trade looks worse and worse. Now you have to lose a player or asset due to the NMC. Leafs fleeced them.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
That Phaneuf trade looks worse and worse. Now you have to lose a player or asset due to the NMC. Leafs fleeced them.

Quite the opposite. They saved money and got a free Methot replacement.

Phaneuf + money + keeping Claesson > Methot.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Quite the opposite. They saved money and got a free Methot replacement.

Phaneuf + money + keeping Claesson > Methot.

If you had no Phaneuf you would be protecting Methot and saving money and more specifically the cap hit. You could have had 7million to go out and get a d-men who could easily outperform Phaneuf.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd think Vegas would rather choose Claesson over Methot. More years under control and has more upside. They dont need a player in their prime when they aren't competing for the next few years.

They are going to flip certain players. After the draft when teams don't have to worry about protection, and will badly need D, they'll get a playoff team's 1st++ for Methot. I would think they'd gladly take that over Claesson.

Not to mention, even teams not expecting to fully compete need veterans and need to build a good culture in the locker room. So Methot has value as a stabilizing presence in Vegas both on and off the ice.

Still, I doubt it comes to that. I think we'll see a trade before 5PM today. Ottawa would be foolish not to get something for one of them. The only exception would be that if the offers are terrible.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
If you had no Phaneuf you would be protecting Methot and saving money and more specifically the cap hit. You could have had 7million to go out and get a d-men who could easily outperform Phaneuf.

LOL everyone always says its easy to fill that role with someone cheaper.. Well we spent many years looking for a guy to fill that role, with no luck. It's harder then HF thinks to acquire good players like Dion.

Without that Dion trade we would still be rocking Wiercioch in our top 4, and guarenteed we wouldn't have made it as far as we did this year.

The Dion Phaneuf trade was a huge win for Ottawa! we wouldn't even be talking about trading him if not for expansion.

And for the record he is a better Dman then Methot. Way more versatile, and we saw that this year in his TOI/GM. Dion was 3rd among Sens D-men while Meth was 4th. (Karlsson and Ceci were 1 and 2 respectively)

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

Sure we'd be protecting Methot but we'd also be 100% losing Claesson and many posters prefer Claesson.

Also, over the last two seasons we'd have actually LOST money. The Phaneuf trade saved the Senators millions of dollars.

Phaneuf played the 20th most ice-time in the entire NHL last season. 34th in PK minutes. On a team that played in game 7 overtime in the conference finals.

Go find a better player willing to play for the Senators for a 4 year contract for 6.5M over the next 4 years.

I'll wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad