There is something seriously wrong with the culture of this team.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
None of you are close to Elias, as much as you dream otherwise. Sorry for the reality check.

Yeah, because I am the one on the ice paid to be a 'culture carrier' and a tough, physical presence to 'insulate' the younger guys.

You can't seriously think that I meant myself being close to Elias when I said that, did you?

I just think you're being purposely dishonest so you can have a 'gotem' comment.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Yeah, because I am the one on the ice paid to be a 'culture carrier' and a tough, physical presence to 'insulate' the younger guys.

You can't seriously think that I meant myself being close to Elias when I said that, did you?

I just think you're being purposely dishonest so you can have a 'gotem' comment.

You guys are the ones out for blood, not the players.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
You guys are the ones out for blood, not the players.
'Out for blood'

Imagine, despite all of my comments otherwise, you think I am 'out for blood'.

No, I want a response. I want the players to stand up for the organization's entire future.

Pettersson is their teammate. To see him continually get messed with, which has lead to injury twice, and not have any pushback is disgraceful.

I thought teammates were supposed to stick up for each other, but in this PC world, obviously that is completely outrageous these days.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
'Out for blood'

Imagine, despite all of my comments otherwise, you think I am 'out for blood'.

No, I want a response. I want the players to stand up for the organization's entire future.

Pettersson is their teammate. To see him continually get messed with, which has lead to injury twice, and not have any pushback is disgraceful.

I thought teammates were supposed to stick up for each other, but in this PC world, obviously that is completely outrageous these days.

I'm sorry, when you interjected yourself into the discussion between Mathonwy I figured you for someone who agreed with his stance on deliberately taking out a knee or performing a flying elbow to the head of a player...I haven't been following your position in this thread so if i mis-characterized your position on this I apologize. However, you did interject by saying..."Standing up for those closest to you is what's 'wrong' with society? My sides." which mis-characterizes MY position. I'm perfectly fine pushing back or trying to protect your star players....even your non-star players. What I don't subscribe to is thuggery and attempts to seriously injure people.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I'm sorry, when you interjected yourself into the discussion between Mathonwy I figured you for someone who agreed with his stance on deliberately taking out a knee or performing a flying elbow to the head of a player...I haven't been following your position in this thread so if i mis-characterized your position on this I apologize. However, you did interject by saying..."Standing up for those closest to you is what's 'wrong' with society? My sides." which mis-characterizes MY position. I'm perfectly fine pushing back or trying to protect your star players....even your non-star players. What I don't subscribe to is thuggery and attempts to seriously injure people.
I've never supported seriously injuring people, but obviously if someone deliberately and maliciously seriously injures your guy, I wouldn't cry if it happened back to them. Eye for an eye. Like, I denounce what Bertuzzi did, and it was obviously a very stupid decision, but I wasn't sad that Moore, who headhunted and concussed our superstar deliberately, paid the price for it. He was a POS.

However, obviously Kotka doesn't deserve to be injured for that, but he DID go after Pettersson and try to **** with him, and to see some face washing, bodies thrown around more or even some chirping ffs would have been enough in that instance... It's mostly the fact that it's all compounded and they haven't had a response to show for these events for the most part.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
This has, like many threads, gotten silly.

Serious disappointment that the canucks didn't raise the level of their game is not "out for blood" or hoping for an injury (I save that hope for Marchand), its that "meat and potatoes" Vancouver looked indifferent. Maybe they were tired, but I sure as hell don't understand Travis Green's acceptance that it was just bad luck.

There will continue to be bad luck if they don't start playing like a team.

As I said, they looked gutless.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
The problem with most of today's modern millenial NHLer is that they want to play a skill passive game and aren't interested in the physical aspects that made the game exciting the way it was. We're a changing culture where we're living in a #me too PC world that has even translated to sports now effectively neutering it. Within a short while, you will see fighting not only banned but leading to lengthy suspensions. Same with hitting, checking and abusive language on the ice. Politics have leached their way into sports and it's unfortunate because it'll be death of sports as you can see the ratings in the NFL. Eventually NFL will become flag football as tackling will be banned. Whether hockey or football goes that way first, I don't know.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
What this team needs is a physical winger that can play middle 6 and drop the gloves if need be. Not an enforcer goon but one that can actually skate shoot etc. Reason being were soft as butter and teams know it hence they can man handle our players. I'm not saying anything dirty is happening against our guys but nobody is afraid to take liberties against us. We already have Roussel but we need more guys like him and preferably younger. Whose out there that fills that description??

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Once again, I would like to emphasize this...

No one is advocating deliberately hurting anyone from either side of the rink, no one is saying we should bash Kotkaniemi's face into the ice so hard it will leave an imprint - that's moronic.

We haven't been reading the same posts then, valky.

What's being said, however, is that there needs to be SOME kind of response, period.

We simply cannot allow opponent players to be so careless around our stars.

I don't disagree, I just don't know how we get there.

Some old rat/agitator was on Sportsnet 650 this morning talking about the incident, and how the team getting super riled up would be something that would be exactly what he was looking for... it's hard to be on your game if you are too mad to think straight, hard to win a game if you're constantly dealing with penalties because teams know they can rile you up easily.

Obviously you don't want to just let your guys get run, especially not the Franchise players... but there's a difference between someone taking a run, and someone just doing some stupid shit that gets out of hand.

The players and coach seem to think it wasn't actually a dirty play. A lot of the fanbase, or the more vocal parts of the fanbase maybe, think it is.

If the team was calling this a dirty play, and doing nothing I would have more of an issue with the culture. Would it be great to see them backing each other up more whether or not it was dirty? Of course!

But let's be honest, would we be anywhere near as pissed off about this injury if it happened to Tim Schaller? Or Jay Beagle? Even Jake Virtanen? If we go nuclear everytime someone messes with Petey, that's just giving other teams as much ammunition as if we do nothing.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
What this team needs is a physical winger that can play middle 6 and drop the gloves if need be. Not an enforcer goon but one that can actually skate shoot etc. Reason being were soft as butter and teams know it hence they can man handle our players. I'm not saying anything dirty is happening against our guys but nobody is afraid to take liberties against us. We already have Roussel but we need more guys like him and preferably younger. Whose out there that fills that description??

Virtanen is supposed to be that guy but he fancies himself as a skilled player.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
We haven't been reading the same posts then, valky.

I don't disagree, I just don't know how we get there.

Some old rat/agitator was on Sportsnet 650 this morning talking about the incident, and how the team getting super riled up would be something that would be exactly what he was looking for... it's hard to be on your game if you are too mad to think straight, hard to win a game if you're constantly dealing with penalties because teams know they can rile you up easily.

Obviously you don't want to just let your guys get run, especially not the Franchise players... but there's a difference between someone taking a run, and someone just doing some stupid **** that gets out of hand.

The players and coach seem to think it wasn't actually a dirty play. A lot of the fanbase, or the more vocal parts of the fanbase maybe, think it is.

If the team was calling this a dirty play, and doing nothing I would have more of an issue with the culture. Would it be great to see them backing each other up more whether or not it was dirty? Of course!

But let's be honest, would we be anywhere near as pissed off about this injury if it happened to Tim Schaller? Or Jay Beagle? Even Jake Virtanen? If we go nuclear everytime someone messes with Petey, that's just giving other teams as much ammunition as if we do nothing.
Nobody has said that it is this incident alone. This has happened multiple times now. The lack of pushback has been prevalent throughout most of the year.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don't trust a word the Canucks say because they've shown themselves capable of SAYING anything they need to in order to make themselves feel better.

On the other hand, DOING something about it is at best random and sporadic and at worst non-existent.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
this thread is awesome. on one side you have ppl turning this into a white identity politics and/or mra discussion, with multiple ppl playing the pc card and one poor oppressed soul throwing down a #metoo.

on the other side, benning can do no wrong, it was only a fluke, this team is fine, a coincidence, a dream. all the hotheaded gudbranson fans conveniently praising his level headed ability to know right from wrong and for not overreacting.

seems like the rest of us shld be like patricia arquette and christian slater at the end of true romance and just let the drug gangsters and pigs kill each other.

JayBeautiful

Nature Boy
Jul 17, 2010
Maple Ridge BC
He's not younger but would love to have Ryan Reeves

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Personally, for me, I think the lack of push-back is more concerning just on grounds of showing a lack of competitiveness/having a backbone rather than anything to do with intimidation or deterrent for other teams (a factor I've always found pretty distasteful about hockey, whether it's actually effective or not-- I don't know why fans embrace the fact that the entire sport essentially operates under a prison/mafia-like code).

When a team just passively wilts after something like that, clean or not, it doesn't bode well for their ability to contend and rally to overcome adversity. I really just care about the momentum-swing angle of it, not the revenge-threat angle.

I don't believe in momentum, intimidation or deterrence. My criticism is roster utility. When you chase players that are of the ilk to bolster team toughness, if they don't create that tribal atmosphere, why are they here? Character, leadership, toughness, intangibles, things not explained by stats, whatever. Throw it all out. If you don't see any value from it, why pay for it?

You’d have a point after the Matheson incident but this one was far more innocent and less dirty than that one.

It was still unnecessary and should’ve been a penalty but I think there’s a line to be drawn between what does and doesn’t warrant going full goon.

How do you feel about the degrees involved in between nothing and to full goon? Does anything within that span warrant happening here?

Reactions: geebaan

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
And shockingly, it's yet another blunder by Benning. Brackett manages to finally land a few stud prospects for this franchise, and Benning saddles the young stars with a crap roster of overpaid old garbage and replacement level trash, trades the moon for an all-talk wannabe tough-guy dman who can't play a lick of D... and then signs him to big money. Not only are they going to blow a chance at a top 5 draft pick (chances are Benning would overule the scouts to pick another Virtanen or Juolevi anyway), but now the team is a mess with BS leadership beyond Horvat (who will have to watch Gudbranson be gifted the C), with zero will to stand up for their best player. This team will be in the dumps for as long as the ignorant casual fans (and Benning boys) keep supporting that joke of a GM.

ErrantShepherd

Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
this thread is awesome. on one side you have ppl turning this into a white identity politics and/or mra discussion, with multiple ppl playing the pc card and one poor oppressed soul throwing down a #metoo.

on the other side, benning can do no wrong, it was only a fluke, this team is fine, a coincidence, a dream. all the hotheaded gudbranson fans conveniently praising his level headed ability to know right from wrong and for not overreacting.

seems like the rest of us shld be like patricia arquette and christian slater at the end of true romance and just let the drug gangsters and pigs kill each other.

What thread have you been reading? It sounds like a pretty good trip.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Pettersson on Kotkaniemi incident: "It was an accident. We got tangled up. We both fell down. I got in an awkward position. It wasn't a dirty play or anything. He apologized afterwards, which shows good sportsmanship from him. It was unlucky for me and it is nothing to serious."
1:40 PM - 4 Jan 2019
  • 264 Retweets
  • 1,085 Like

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

ErrantShepherd

Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Pettersson on Kotkaniemi incident: "It was an accident. We got tangled up. We both fell down. I got in an awkward position. It wasn't a dirty play or anything. He apologized afterwards, which shows good sportsmanship from him. It was unlucky for me and it is nothing to serious."
1:40 PM - 4 Jan 2019
  • 264 Retweets
  • 1,085 Like

Clearly we should get rid of Pettersson, unwilling to stand up for Elias Pettersson. Gutless. Just another example of a Canucks player infected by a losing, weak, soft culture.

Am I doing this right? :sarcasm:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Clearly we should get rid of Pettersson, unwilling to stand up for Elias Pettersson. Gutless. Just another example of a Canucks player infected by a losing, weak, soft culture.

Am I doing this right? :sarcasm:
No kidding..How dare he..???..maybe some posters can get a grip...and put away the pitchforks for a day or two..

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
None of you are close to Elias, as much as you dream otherwise. Sorry for the reality check.

To me it sounded like there were a lot of Canuck fans ready for "defcon 4" immediately after Pettersson went down....and it sure seem like we have a bloodthirsty group of fans within this fanbase who aren't very well adjusted.

GAmKfkn.png

Maybe you should take a step back and try to understand the other poster's point of view before accusing said poster of being an example of "what's wrong with society".
xVXmwju.gif

What a ridiculous statement.

Do you see Matheson types throwing down nerds in this society?

No. Because you would go to jail if you did.

NHL hockey is not reality.

In reality, you use your voice and not your hands when you're doing battle.

In NHL hockey, if you don't physically push back, you're going to get taken advantage of. End of story.

And in this case, Petey gets taken down by an 18 year rookie that was just effing around.

That 18 year old rookie was effing around because everyone knows you can eff around with the Canucks because nothing happens when you do.

Get over yourself. Seriously. Stop projecting your own insecurities about physical violence onto others.

This team is pure garbage. Pettersson is the best thing that has happened to this team since the Sedins and he's already been injured TWICE in his first season with Jimbo's culture carriers sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad