There is something seriously wrong with the culture of this team.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
The lack of pushback this team has shown both times its young franchise centre has gotten injured from reckless plays by opposing players is mindboggling. No response to the Matheson hit, and no response to the Kotkaniemi situation is very disappointing.

I'm not advocating for cheap shots to be committed in response, but even just playing the team more aggressively or picking some guys out to fight to show the Canucks have even a little bit of a response to acts like this against our star players?

Is Green holding them back? What's the problem with this team's supposed 'tough guys' who never step up when they need to?

Physical response to physical liberties taken against your lanky 20 year old superstar is only common sense in hockey, and has been a part of the game for as long as it has existed... Gretzky had a Semenko and McSorely, but you don't even need these types of players. You just need players with the guts and care to stand up for their star teammates. I'm not saying Pettersson is Gretzky, but he is arguably the most important piece this franchise has ever had.

It just baffles me that this happened AGAIN. A physical response is not only physical, but it is symbolic as well. If teams know that one of the best ways to stop Pettersson is to rough him up, how many more times are these 'freak injuries' going to happen in the future, especially with his build?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Nothing play. Unfortunate result. Could have been called interference but there are 58599665 missed calls every game.
A nothing play would be contact along the boards while the puck was by them and they were battling.

Kotkaniemi skated right to Pettersson in retaliation for a clean hit along the boards, put his stick around him and tied himself up with him on purpose, clearly trying to **** with him. It may not have been an intent to injure, but that is a guy targeting your franchise rookie centre. That is not okay. Pettersson is your only hope in hell of even being within 10 points of a playoff spot, and some rat is all over him. This leads to an injury and there is zero response. Zero.

You don't see an issue with a team that refuses to respond when its star player gets targeted?

Have you ever played on a hockey team before? Even Bantam? If some guy is ****ing with your best player like that, you don't do nothing. There was no emotional response. The Canucks just deflated and played like a shell of themselves without Pettersson for the rest of the game... Had they shown some emotion and actually stuck up for their teammate, they might have actually won that game.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This is what happens when you piss off all of the players that gave their lives to this franchise and back fill their positions with clock punching mercenaries.

Textbook organizational behavior.

Aside from Edler and Tanev, no veteran has ANY motivation to go above and beyond on this team as they're all going to get paid regardless of what they do or don't do.

As well, NONE of them have any skin in the Canuck game. They are only here because Jimbo showed them the money and THAT'S IT.

We're NOT all Canucks.

Only some of us are and that's the truth.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
A nothing play would be contact along the boards while the puck was by them and they were battling.

Kotkaniemi skated right to Pettersson in retaliation for a clean hit along the boards, put his stick around him and tied himself up with him on purpose, clearly trying to **** with him. It may not have been an intent to injure, but that is a guy targeting your franchise rookie centre. That is not okay. Pettersson is your only hope in hell of even being within 10 points of a playoff spot, and some rat is all over him. This leads to an injury and there is zero response. Zero.

You don't see an issue with a team that refuses to respond when its star player gets targeted?

Have you ever played on a hockey team before? Even Bantam? If some guy is ****ing with your best player like that, you don't do nothing. There was no emotional response. The Canucks just deflated and played like a shell of themselves without Pettersson for the rest of the game... Had they shown some emotion and actually stuck up for their teammate, they might have actually won that game.

I agree with all of this.

Yesterday Borowiecki took a late run at EP that had Burke talking during the intermission. He pointed out that there should have been a response there. The other team has no fear when it comes to running our best guys.

The kid is slight, and will probably be on the lighter side for the rest of his career. The playing field needs to be levelled for this kid. Having Sutter come out and act like Ghandi in an interview is the opposite of how the team should react, and the bloody higher ups better realize that quickly. This isn't Granlund we are talking about, the team's future rests on this kid's shoulders for the next 10 years.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
As far as tonight, it was somewhat of an accidental occurrence....and I dont think that the 18 year old kid, had any deliberate ideas to injure EP.

I was more pissed that nobody responded to the full body slam on EP by Boroweicki in the Sens game last night (Brian Burke alluded to it during the break)...Boroweicki should have been tuned up immediately after that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This sort of play will happen to Pettersson (and McDavid, and Gaudreau, and Crosby) pretty much every game for his entire career. Regardless of how tough or not tough our roster is.

People get in the face of star players. It’s still a chippy physical game.

This was a nothing play between two young skill players who have a bit of a rivalry as top young players for rival hockey nations. They fell awkwardly.

I’m 1000000000x more upset about the non-reaction to a thug like Borowiecki taking a shot at Pettersson in the last game than I am about this fluke nothing play.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As far as tonight, it was somewhat of an accidental occurrence....and I dont think that the 18 year old kid, had any deliberate ideas to injure EP.

I was more pissed that nobody responded to the full body slam on EP by Boroweicki in the Sens game last night (Brian Burke alluded to it during the break)...Boroweicki should have been tuned up immediately after that.

Holy crap, we completely agree on something.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Classic over reaction on a play that happens frequently but injury will rarely occur. But its Pettersson so some of our fans point to the 'culture'.
Its a joke argument and its a stupid over reaction to a nothing play that resulted in an injury.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
i got an idea

let's trade Goldobin for a tough AHLer!
Effing Archie had heart.

Comets fans loved him and he had been with this organization for a very long time.

Geezes effing christ.

How ridiculous is this.

Archie gets traded and then this happens.

eQP9ehc.gif

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Effing Archie had heart.

Comets fans loved him and he had been with this organization for a very long time.

Geezes effing christ.

How ridiculous is this.

Archie gets traded and then this happens.

eQP9ehc.gif

oh that's easy fix, just trade Goldobin for Archibald

case closed
:sarcasm:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Some rat? He's a good player with tons of skill. Either make a rational argument or spout nonsense because you're angry, both are acceptable on these boards. You can't do both at once.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Classic over reaction on a play that happens frequently but injury will rarely occur. But its Pettersson so some of our fans point to the 'culture'.
Its a joke argument and its a stupid over reaction to a nothing play that resulted in an injury.

Well, I may not think the culture is in question, but the lack of any kind of response is a concern.

No one's saying that as soon as EP40 is touched the whole team should go Venom and bite the heads off of every opponent. But allowing your opponents to make aggressive plays on your star player without the slightest concern of consequences is not a label we want for the team.

Like when Matheson decided to become John Cena, no response at all.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
Well, I may not think the culture is in question, but the lack of any kind of response is a concern.

No one's saying that as soon as EP40 is touched the whole team should go Venom and bite the heads off of every opponent. But allowing your opponents to make aggressive plays on your star player without the slightest concern of consequences is not a label we want for the team.

Like when Matheson decided to become John Cena, no response at all.

Im having a darth vader moment here, im agreeing with Valky

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Re-posting what I said in the Pettersson thread:

I'm honestly baffled at this entire organization's handling of Pettersson.

Once it became clear that he was quite indeed, the entire franchise, the Canucks number one, and frankly only priority, should have been to protect him at all costs.

That means your entire lineup should willing to drop the gloves to protect him, not just Brock Boeser, who frankly is the second last person who should be fighting.

The players need to realize that the only way reason they are winning games is because of Petterson. This means other teams should be thinking twice about even stick checking Pettersson, because if you come near him, you know that the Canucks are coming after you.

The Canucks have no one that inspires fear into the other team. No one that people are looking over their shoulders for. The Habs should be afraid to put Domi or Drouin out there after that play. That's intimidation. That's prevention. At the very least, if our star is out, they'll be afraid to put their stars out so it evens the field.

Secondly, when it's clear that the only possible thing that can stop Pettersson is injuries, the training and medical staff should be going above and beyond to make sure that Pettersson is in tip-top shape. That means top of the line conditioning, physio, rehab, nutrition and treatments. That means being extra cautious with him when it comes to injuries and practicing preventative measures that reduce the risk of future injuries or re-aggravations.

You have a superstar, franchise level center fall into your lap, and this is how you handle him? Literally all they have to do is protect him, both on and off the ice, and he will do the rest. They have the simplest, most straight forward job in the world, PROTECT PETTERSSON, and he will carry your franchise.

And they still can't do it right.

Outside of McDavid, no other team is as reliant on their young superstar as the Canucks.

The entire roster should all be willing to be suspended if it meant sticking up for Pettersson.

At the end of the day, I blame management. It’s their fault for not building a proper culture.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I know it's crazy and certainly not true, but in my head I occasionally have the thought that ownership doesn't want Canucks hunting down other players for retaliation after the Moore/Bertuzzi/Crawford lawsuit

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This sort of play will happen to Pettersson (and McDavid, and Gaudreau, and Crosby) pretty much every game for his entire career. Regardless of how tough or not tough our roster is.

People get in the face of star players. It’s still a chippy physical game.

This was a nothing play between two young skill players who have a bit of a rivalry as top young players for rival hockey nations. They fell awkwardly.

I’m 1000000000x more upset about the non-reaction to a thug like Borowiecki taking a shot at Pettersson in the last game than I am about this fluke nothing play.
And it will happen much more if the team has a reputation for not standing up for its star players.

It's hockey. Reputations are built, respect is earned. This play is only one play in the grand scheme of things, but the lack of emotional and physical response was alarming. Just nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->