Post-Game Talk: There is no defense for bad soup, or 5 Reasons Why Nurses Shouldn’t Serve Soup

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I just watched highlights of game (or should I say lowlights) . It looks like Minny hit post short side early in game. Campbell is never square to the puck. He doesnt look like a goalie. The goals going in are terrible. Fleury made 2 big stops in game on our PP . Campbell cant do that
I just don't get it with this goalie. Not even Khabibulin and JDD were this bad. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie for the Oilers get this consistently lit up.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That list is terrible. All I see is a list of "how our goalie did in years when our team was terrible". I mean there are like 5 Vezina/Jennings/StanleyCup winners on that list.
That’s the point being made.

It’s another example of goalies can have bad years early, end or mid career and then they can have out of this world seasons at other times. Campbell has every potential of spinning even deeper into career oblivion or rising out of this funk and going full on Patrick Roy for this team.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Of the 68 goalies who have appeared in 10 plus games since Jan 2022, Campbell has the lowest save percentage out of all 68 at .880 in 35 games.

Mike Smith was 5 with a .921 in 22 games.

Koskinen was 34 with a .905 in 25 games

Peterson, who is 66 on the list, was just waived a few days ago.

• Wow
Reactions: Mav3rick07

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I just don't get it with this goalie. Not even Khabibulin and JDD were this bad. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie for the Oilers get this consistently lit up.
He dont even look like a goalie. His movements look like he doesnt have a clue about goaltending

So now I have a theory. Since we robbed Toronto so bad with the Hyman Signing, I think Toronto has kidnapped Campbell and sent us someone looking similiar. Who? I dont have a clue but he aint a goalie

Russell is an unsigned UFA I believe. Has not filed retirement papers. I’m not suggesting he’s a saviour but someone who plays like him and Keith did would be a big help to this core.
Do u have his number? I actually liked Russell

Reactions: brentashton

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
God Bless Stuart Skinner, if this team didn't have him I might be joining those teetering on the ledge around here

We never beat the Wild. Ever. But still it's frustrating to lose to them.

Need to pump the Habs tomorrow night and get back on track

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That’s the point being made.

It’s another example of goalies can have bad years early, end or mid career and then they can have out of this world seasons at other times. Campbell has every potential of spinning even deeper into career oblivion or rising out of this funk and going full on Patrick Roy for this team.

I think the expectations coming in as the key piece to a cup free agent starter signing this off season and his first year at making big money has put the zap on his head big time. He clearly has confidence issues and his game has gotten worse as the year has gone on.

With his confidence issues and the expectations put upon his shoulders getting him back just to average will be a tall order, in particular as it pertains to the support we can give him.

Other teams have full goaltending departments. Under the historically penny pinching Oilers we have Dustin Schwartz whom under his tutelage somehow makes goalies worse not better.

Players with confidence issues do not prosper with this organization (see Puljujarvi, Jesse). I think the chances of Campbell becoming what the expectations are of him are somewhere between slim and none.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I think the expectations coming in as the key piece to a cup free agent starter signing this off season and his first year at making big money has put the zap on his head big time. He clearly has confidence issues and his game has gotten worse as the year has gone on.

With his confidence issues and the expectations put upon his shoulders getting him back just to average will be a tall order, in particular as it pertains to the support we can give him.

Other teams have full goaltending departments. Under the historically penny pinching Oilers we have Dustin Schwartz whom under his tutelage somehow makes goalies worse not better.

Players with confidence issues do not prosper with this organization (see Puljujarvi, Jesse). I think the chances of Campbell becoming what the expectations are of him are somewhere between slim and none.
Yup. Real good points. It’s a long uphill road in this org given the circumstances. I just don’t know how you get out of a 5x5 (which didn’t seem bad at the time given what was out in the marketplace) so early in its term without giving up a lot. I guess why I’m trying to stay hopeful. It seems like the best way out of this, at this point.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Remember the big save that Skinner made at the end of the Blackhawks game ? Campbell rarely makes those saves at opportune times.

I say just roll with Skinner as our starter and pray that Campbell can get his shit together on the sideline mentally and can focus on stopping pucks.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I just watched highlights of game (or should I say lowlights) . It looks like Minny hit post short side early in game. Campbell is never square to the puck. He doesnt look like a goalie. The goals going in are terrible. Fleury made 2 big stops in game on our PP . Campbell cant do that

yep. He looks like ass

Reactions: Oilers in NS

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I don't think there is any salvaging this. He's mentally going to keep digging in worse and worse in this market now. Toast.

Makes the Markstrom signing look genius.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Back to the drawing board?

As stated above a bad forward is a lot easier to stomach than a bad goalie. We can't really hide this guy. Plus Holland is going to want to get some ROI even if its a sunk cost.

He can still turn it around but there's no way this signing isn't anything other than disastrous currently.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yup. Real good points. It’s a long uphill road in this org given the circumstances. I just don’t know how you get out of a 5x5 (which didn’t seem bad at the time given what was out in the marketplace) so early in its term without giving up a lot. I guess why I’m trying to stay hopeful. It seems like the best way out of this, at this point.

My container of Oiler hope is nearly empty but my container of Oiler frustration is like Campbells GAA, overflowing!

Good home stand coming to refill the hope container…

A2CF5C96-22F0-45BC-9690-9787A69C7948.jpeg

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Time for Skinner to be the number 1 here and play more; Jack can be the backup and get his head out of his ass!

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If he does not turn it around, the only way to get out of the deal maybe to eat 1/2 the contract and hope that someone will bite in the hope that he turns it around. It is not well structured for a buyout. You might get lucky if he can put together some decent games. Matt Murray's deal seemed unmovable, but it was only two years so its not quite the same situation.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If he does not turn it around, the only way to get out of the deal maybe to eat 1/2 the contract and hope that someone will bite in the hope that he turns it around. It is not well structured for a buyout. You might get lucky if he can put together some decent games. Matt Murray's deal seemed unmovable, but it was only two years so its not quite the same situation.
That the word buyout is already being tossed around not even halfway through his first season is so exasperating.

You fire the GM before you touch Campbell. I don't think anyone here would reasonably trust Holland to handle a potential Campbell situation.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That the word buyout is already being tossed around not even halfway through his first season is so exasperating.

You fire the GM before you touch Campbell. I don't think anyone here would reasonably trust Holland to handle a potential Campbell situation.
My guess is that Holland retires or moves upstairs if this year goes south. I don't think they will fire him. Nor do I think he will want to take steps backwards to right the ship if the team faulters.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yup. That’s probably the best that could be done.

And 4 more years at 2.5M dead cap just puts more handcuffs on a GM that struggles with capology.

Either way this is gross and I hope Campbell can right the ship.

Heavy sigh…

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
My guess is that Holland retires or moves upstairs if this year goes south. I don't think they will fire him. Nor do I think he will want to take steps backwards to right the ship if the team faulters.
You're probably right, because there permeates this stubborn pride and sense of brotherhood throughout the org. No matter how badly people fail they'll likely still collect a paycheque through one means or another. Why Bob Nicholson and Dustin Schwartz are still employed is a complete mystery to me.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Me too….. it makes zero sense….

Campbell the first half of last year with Toronto was a top 3 goalie. And Toronto had a BAD defense….

What has changed so much???

Campbell hasn’t shown anything this year outside of 1 decent start. It’s insane

His confidence is shot. Our d play like shit in front of him so he has absolutely no help in that regard and to top it off Schwartz is the goalie coach tasked with helping him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Better entertainment value going forward: 1) Campbell getting pwned. Or 2) Will Smith letting in more goals, but slapping the crap out of everyone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad