Dreger: There hasn't been as much interest in the Senators UFAs as thought

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
They have some intriguing UFA's that could bolster lineups. I like Name and Boedker for teams wanting to beef up their 3rd lines, Hainsey, Boro, and DeMelo in that order would also be great options to beef up a blueline. The big issue with Name and Boedker I imagine is the cap hit, and how so many teams are feeling it.

Hainsey and Boro are probably the big ones for me. In fact, I see Boro being the easiest to trade and having more interest than Pageau merely because the price tag won't be as high and the cap hit isn't big. He's the one guy of the ones I've listed (maybe Hainsey) that I think the Sens should do whatever it takes to keep though. What he did last year made him the heart of the franchise. Absolute leader on and off the ice, and that org needs people like that.
Lol boedker is dog doo and hainsey is toasted

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Lol boedker is dog doo and hainsey is toasted

Even though he's been scratched, I think Boedker is actually a nice add. He's not going to get much besides a conditional 7th or something, but I truthfully believe with his wheels he can still be a player. If he was waived or dealt someone would bite. He's just not a fit for the system he's playing in.

Hainsey is the perfect #6/#7 for a cup run. He's loved and respected by teammates, plays a good quiet game, very good on the PK, and has cup experience.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
Even though he's been scratched, I think Boedker is actually a nice add. He's not going to get much besides a conditional 7th or something, but I truthfully believe with his wheels he can still be a player. If he was waived or dealt someone would bite. He's just not a fit for the system he's playing in.

Hainsey is the perfect #6/#7 for a cup run. He's loved and respected by teammates, plays a good quiet game, very good on the PK, and has cup experience.
He earns way too much for what he brings to the table. The Sens would have to add to get rid of him. He’s got negative value

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
There were tons of red flags suggesting it was an unsustainable run. I know hindsight is 20/20 but this was a huge topic of conversation at the time as well.
Ottawa protected themselves by choosing which year the pick was going to be from. Even if they weren't going to be able to replicate their playoff success, i wouldn't expect a team with Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, Hoffman, Chabot, Brassard, to be bottom 5 bad for two years in a row. I wasn't mad at all about the trade at the time, we even started that year pretty well before the trade was made (6-3-5) with the hope that the upgrade in Duchene would have certainly kept us out of the basement.

After the Sweden trip shortly after the trade, the wheels just fell off. The chance for an implosion is always there, though the probability that both years were going to be that bad wasn't very high.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kinda surprised Pageau and Namestnikov allegedly aren't generating much interest. Both seem like the sort of reasonably priced middle-6 utility pieces that teams always love to add at the deadline. Maybe the asking prices are too high? Not willing enough to retain salary to make a deal fit?

The rest of the Sens deadline fodder...meh, i wouldn't be at all surprised to see limited interest and ultimately maybe a late round pick after teams strike out on other options on deadline day.
I really like Pageau but he is a risk. He has 2 ES points in his last 13 games. He had 29 points in 40 games up to the end of December. Since January he has 5 points in 15 games. The price a team pays could be based on a very hot first 4o but the guy you get is the real Pageau who, while definitely a valuable guy to have on your team, in most years would not be worth a first as a rental. Tack on the possibility of an inflated salary to potentially resign him and I think most teams may be a bit shy on getting burned at both ends here. Either giving too much as a pure rental, or potentially getting stuck with an inflated contract to keep him.

Pageau is a very versatile player who I would love to have on the Oilers. But I'd be very hesitant to give up a 1st. In fact, I think that would be a mistake for the team. So my best offer would be a 2nd in 2020 and maybe a 4th in 2021. But that probably does not get it done. Maybe the Sens should just resign him and be done with it.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Pageau is a 3rd liner on any team that is making a run. He could be a 2nd liner on teams just trying to get into the playoffs. This is where the problem lies with his value. He fits the 3C job ideally he is good on the PK and can chip in 13 to 17 goals on a 3rd line. His numbers have been elevated by playing top 6 recently out of no other choice for the Sens. A top team is not going to be willing to offer a 2nd for a 3rd line rental and cusp teams are reluctant to move a 1st or 2nd for a rental knowing how good this draft is supposed to be. The best case scenario would be a 2nd for him or find a desperate team trying to get in that could add a B level guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad