GDT: There’s a game in like 3 hours so…

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
This team is very Jekyll and Hyde. For all the talk about our goaltending woes, Kotchetkov has allowed only 3 goals in the last 3 games. It’d be great if we could get the Raanta offense with the Kotchetkov goaltending.
You know damn well after all these years that this team doesn't function that way. When the goaltending sucks we tend to implode and are lucky to win 6-5. When the goaltending is awesome we go brain-dead on offense and are lucky to win 2-1. There's a reason we probably have more 1-goal games than any other team in the league the past few years. I remember looking at random blocks of 10 games last year for a bunch of teams, and most weeks we averaged maybe 2 multi-goal wins/losses. Most teams averaged 5-6 multi-goal wins/losses. For better or worse, we were magicians at making games close (either by giving up multi-goal leads, or by getting just enough to stay in it)

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Noesen and Drury both passing some people in scoring is good and concerning at the same time.

Noesen outperforming Coconut, Bunting, and Staal.

Drury is deserving of more ice time especially since he can win a faceoff and is showing some offense.

Staal leading the team in +/- and -12 and might not crack 10 goals this year.

Team just feels like a long list of guys underperforming. Burns, Staal, Turbo, Fast, Pesce, Raanta and a few bright spots Chatfield, Noesen, Drury, Skjei

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Everyone has bad games and yes I’ve been critical of certain players in the past but man was I disappointed in the power play, especially the first unit, especially after the past few games where it looked pretty good. Even the goal that got called off was the second unit which looked noticeably more dangerous

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
It feels like it's time to move on. 4 years for Staal was just way too long and I kinda wish at this point we could move on after this year.

I am ready for a retool, I think we have taken this iteration of the Canes as far as we can.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Thinking about it more, we've earned 6 points out the last possible 8. That's something we'd have been begging for a month ago.

So now we just have to focus on Vegas, put forth a better effort, and make it 8 out of the last possible 10.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Everyone has bad games and yes I’ve been critical of certain players in the past but man was I disappointed in the power play, especially the first unit, especially after the past few games where it looked pretty good. Even the goal that got called off was the second unit which looked noticeably more dangerous
I didn't understand why he blendered the units after that and didn't play the original 2nd one more.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Got this in email

Attachments

• IMG_0179.png
    IMG_0179.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 2

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
We said the same thing about Skinner. But then you consider how much better our defense would be
Really a poor comparison. Necas takes risks offensively which can result in chances against, etc. But actually in the D zone he's not that bad and he makes an effort to backcheck consistently. Skinner did none of those things well. Necas' "bad D" is really overblown. And he led the team in points last year and can drive offense on a line by himself when he's on and confident. His inconsistency offensively has me hesitant to hand him a long term deal but I still think he's a critically important piece of this team. Unless we're getting an elite top line forward in a large package it doesn't make sense to move him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Really a poor comparison. Necas takes risks offensively which can result in chances against, etc. But actually in the D zone he's not that bad and he makes an effort to backcheck consistently. Skinner did none of those things well. Necas' "bad D" is really overblown. And he led the team in points last year and can drive offense on a line by himself when he's on and confident. His inconsistency offensively has me hesitant to hand him a long term deal but I still think he's a critically important piece of this team. Unless we're getting an elite top line forward in a large package it doesn't make sense to move him.
The comparison was solely based on a guy scoring a lot is negated by his the goals he gives up. Skinner didn’t give up the puck much he just gave up too many not getting back. Different styles, same results.

Necas bad defense isn’t overblown. He has somehow forgotten the structure of offense and defense. Just last game he marked a guy burns was already covering, a forward. Then in OT, in the rare occasion Washington tried to score, Necas decided to come off the bench skate right in the middle of Washington’s triangle. What are you doing dude? Take the guy near the bench. Instead he aimlessly skated in the middle of them and it led to a 2 on 1 break. Thats just last game.

Now let’s talk about offense. Like it or not the offense is built on cycling and creating chances. The defenders generally will substitute or half specific wall placements to support the offense when gaining the zone. Necas either needs to maintain puck possession or get the puck deep to allow the forecheck to go to work /allow the defense to change unencumbered. What does necas do? Leaves the puck behind as he makes a cut or loses the puck in a non physical puck battle. So the defenders are out of position trying to get to the bench or to their offensive positions and odd man rushes happen the other way.

Necas isn’t the only one with the O or D zone issues. Jarvis, kk, Bunting etc have all had these hiccups but, none with the regularity of necas this season. I agree he shouldn’t be traded without an upgrade, I just hope we find it this offseason.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Necas probably sees it as his offensive success comes from ignoring the system.

He probably also sees himself as a top 3 scorer on the team and knows he isn't a good grinder.

Maybe Rod's system could be more flexible to the personnel he has because to be successful the team needs to find a way to utilize its high end scorers to the best of their ability.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm fully on board with trading Necas in a 1v1 trade for a more straight line player or straight shooter that fits both teams. It's not worth changing our whole system just to accommodate one guy. He is still young but year after year he feels round peg in a square hole on this roster.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I'm fully on board with trading Necas in a 1v1 trade for a more straight line player or straight shooter that fits both teams. It's not worth changing our whole system just to accommodate one guy. He is still young but year after year he feels round peg in a square hole on this roster.
I think it's fair to question whether Rod's system as it currently is will get us a Cup. Not saying get rid of Rod or change or overhaul the entire thing, but it might not be such a bad thing to give 1 or both of the top 6 lines some leeway to work outside the system. SAT line has had some incredible offensive success in the past not doing the grinding thing but creatively moving the puck and working the rush. 3 very very talented forwards who complement each other well and fit with each other. Together they would naturally play the opposite of Rod's ideal style like the Staal line has perfected but they've had success. I'm an advocate of going back to that line once Svech is back and giving them the leeway to play a freer game.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I think it's fair to question whether Rod's system as it currently is will get us a Cup. Not saying get rid of Rod or change or overhaul the entire thing, but it might not be such a bad thing to give 1 or both of the top 6 lines some leeway to work outside the system. SAT line has had some incredible offensive success in the past not doing the grinding thing but creatively moving the puck and working the rush. 3 very very talented forwards who complement each other well and fit with each other. Together they would naturally play the opposite of Rod's ideal style like the Staal line has perfected but they've had success. I'm an advocate of going back to that line once Svech is back and giving them the leeway to play a freer game.
The problem is how to get Rod to want to go that route of putting that line together and letting them go because it seems he has no desire to do so. Yes Svech has been injured but even when healthy we haven't seen that combo beyond a period or two. And when they don't immediately light up the score board it goes away.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The problem is how to get Rod to want to go that route of putting that line together and letting them go because it seems he has no desire to do so. Yes Svech has been injured but even when healthy we haven't seen that combo beyond a period or two. And when they don't immediately light up the score board it goes away.
Yes which is my biggest complaint about Rod. I know many other coaches change up lines too but I don't think any of them do it to the degree Rod does (except for the Staal line). We need to let the guys actually build some chemistry together on consistent lines over the course of the season. Not going to the blender every single time we go a couple periods without scoring or when we lose games. Put SAT back together and ride with them for 20+ games (barring injury). But yeah I don't think we'll get Rod to do it no matter how much we may bitch and moan

BadgerCane58

Jul 10, 2023
Kuzmenko is a healthy scratch tonight… could he be on the move before the freeze?? Svech’s close to returning and Kuz isn’t an RBA type of player. But…. He is a sniper!!

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Kuzmenko is a healthy scratch tonight… could he be on the move before the freeze?? Svech’s close to returning and Kuz isn’t an RBA type of player. But…. He is a sniper!!

Everything I've heard is that he's going to Washington if he's moved.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
WSH thinks he's theirs.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Weird he was basically untouchable to Vancouver last year and now he's being healthy scratched this year. It sounds like apparently if he isn't actively forechecking, he isn't worth a damn. He was also playing with EP last year and I don't think he is as much this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad