Thelen likely to re-enter draft

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
If he had stayed at college, he would have become an UFA at August 15th 2007, after his graduation.

Section 8.6 (c)(i) of the CBA:
If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

That's the new CBA. Isn't it the old that one that applies to him?

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada

He was drafted during the OLD CBA......so I think the old cba rules apply to him, just as the players drafted in the old cba make more on rookie contracts and didnt get forced to less like the rooks on the new cba.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Hurricanes have a tendency to pick up players that others let re-enter the draft (Willis, Zigomanis, Vagner, Zepp, etc.) so it wouldn't shock me in the least to see them use a 5th or something along those lines on picking up Thelen. Seems like the kind of project player that JR goes after every few years.

of course he has had little success with that so youd think he'd learn - but i agreed with you ....if anyone jumps the gun drafting this kid it'll be the canes.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
of course he has had little success with that so youd think he'd learn - but i agreed with you ....if anyone jumps the gun drafting this kid it'll be the canes.

i thought it was allready settled that he wasnt eligible for the 07 draft :dunno:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i thought it was allready settled that he wasnt eligible for the 07 draft :dunno:

based on what im reading here its as clear as mud what the real situation is. i know what youre saying but others are obviously still picking it apart. im just saying if he does go back in the canes are a definite possiblity. not sure what the problem with saying that is.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany

He was drafted during the OLD CBA......so I think the old cba rules apply to him, just as the players drafted in the old cba make more on rookie contracts and didnt get forced to less like the rooks on the new cba.

No, the new CBA applies to all of them.

Otherwise you would still hold the rights of all your unsigned european prospects because these rights wouldn't expire under the old CBA, where they were drafted. Conclusion, it doesn't matter under what CBA a player was drafted.

As previously said, Minnesota will lose Thelens rights at 1st June 2008, if they don't sign him before. As he is still property of the Wild, he will not reenter the Draft.

For the compensatory pick, the Wild don't get one this Draft, because Thelens rights doesn't expire. They get the 42nd pick in the 2008 Entry Draft, if they can't sign him before 1st June 2008, but they have to make a bonafide offer for him, and Thelen has to reject it. Otherwise they don't get a compensatory pick.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
based on what im reading here its as clear as mud what the real situation is. i know what youre saying but others are obviously still picking it apart. im just saying if he does go back in the canes are a definite possiblity. not sure what the problem with saying that is.

because there is no if hes going back in.

Midnight

Jun 17, 2006
San Jose

No, the new CBA applies to everyone without exception. The only reason the older draftees have a different entry level salary max is that the new CBA explicitly says in Exhibit 16(3)(a) that those draftees can be given the maximum base salary specified in the previous CBA. In other words, old CBA rules apply only if the new CBA explicitly grandfathers them under the new agreement.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
No, the new CBA applies to everyone without exception. The only reason the older draftees have a different entry level salary max is that the new CBA explicitly says in Exhibit 16(3)(a) that those draftees can be given the maximum base salary specified in the previous CBA. In other words, old CBA rules apply only if the new CBA explicitly grandfathers them under the new agreement.
Exactly. Under the old CBA, the Wild would have had until June 1, 2006 to retain the rights to Thelen (the "Mike Van Ryn" loophole) when Thelen left college for the WHL - but the new CBA wiped that loophole away. The key here is how Exhibit 16(2)(i) is applied:
For Unsigned Draft Choices in college who were drafted in the 2004 Entry Draft or before (or who subsequently became bona fide college students since being drafted), such Players will be subject to the Article 9 provisions governing college players. For Unsigned Draft Choices who were drafted from college, but who have subsequently left college and announced a commitment to play hockey elsewhere in North America or Europe, a Club's exclusive negotiating rights to such Players will automatically be extended through and including June 1, 2007.
So ... when did Thelen announce he was leaving school and going to the WHL, and at what point does the latter half of the above take effect? My personal take: if Thelen announced he was leaving prior to the new CBA being ratified, then the Wild retain his rights until June 1; if it was after the new CBA was ratified, then the Wild should have his rights until August 15.

But this is the source of disagreement here. I'll leave it to everyone else to fight it out. :D

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Exactly. Under the old CBA, the Wild would have had until June 1, 2006 to retain the rights to Thelen (the "Mike Van Ryn" loophole) when Thelen left college for the WHL - but the new CBA wiped that loophole away. The key here is how Exhibit 16(2)(i) is applied:

So ... when did Thelen announce he was leaving school and going to the WHL, and at what point does the latter half of the above take effect? My personal take: if Thelen announced he was leaving prior to the new CBA being ratified, then the Wild retain his rights until June 1; if it was after the new CBA was ratified, then the Wild should have his rights until August 15.

But this is the source of disagreement here. I'll leave it to everyone else to fight it out. :D

I thought Thelen was dismissed from the MSU team/left in March 05. He started playing in the WHL the next season 05-06.

habscout

Mar 6, 2002
Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Visit site
I read this blurb about Thelen's departure from his Michigan State back in March, 2005. It mentioned that he was dismissed from the team, but that his scholarship would still be intact so long as he kept his academic eligibility. I have to suspect that he has some personal problems that someone is not willing to discuss on the record. Together with an up-and-down pattern to his last 4 seasons (2003-04 & 2005-06 were good, 2004-05 & 2006-07 were bad) must have scared the Wild away.

http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=1228

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I read this blurb about Thelen's departure from his Michigan State back in March, 2005. It mentioned that he was dismissed from the team, but that his scholarship would still be intact so long as he kept his academic eligibility. I have to suspect that he has some personal problems that someone is not willing to discuss on the record. Together with an up-and-down pattern to his last 4 seasons (2003-04 & 2005-06 were good, 2004-05 & 2006-07 were bad) must have scared the Wild away.

http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=1228

im sorry. going WAAAAYYY of topic here, but can you tell me what the star next to your username means???lol.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
did that pick come out of thin air? how did they get it?...if anyone already said something on this im sorry but im just too laazy to read all of these

Transported Upstater

im sorry. going WAAAAYYY of topic here, but can you tell me what the star next to your username means???lol.

See that "Become a Sponsor" thing next to your "User CP" on the red toolbar?

Click on it and give HFBoards money. :D

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I thought Thelen was dismissed from the MSU team/left in March 05. He started playing in the WHL the next season 05-06.
Ah ... that clears things up. I wasn't up on my '04 draft class history. Then the Wild will indeed have his rights until June 1, 2007.

did that pick come out of thin air? how did they get it?...if anyone already said something on this im sorry but im just too laazy to read all of these
:teach: Read and learn. If you can't put forth the effort, I'm not explaining it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad