Thelen likely to re-enter draft

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/1164539.html

Thelen might be out

It's looking very likely the Wild will not even attempt to sign 2004 first-round choice A.J. Thelen, a Savage native, by the June 1 draft. The team, which has been disappointed with his development, has not yet contacted his representation.

In exchange for losing Thelen's rights and allowing him to re-enter the draft, the Wild will receive the 42nd pick in June's draft.

mikethompson

Mar 20, 2007
Maple Ridge
A.J is playing great right know with the Giants, he is the #4 defenceman with Mikkelsson and Thelen also helps quarterback the powerplay with his booming slap shot.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
This rule is meant to protect teams from unreasonable salary demands from their highly regarded prospects? Seems that more often it just protects them from bad draft picks, especially when the rookie contract is fairly standard to negotiate. I guess if you look at the bigger picture you could argue that it also protects the competitiveness of the league.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
A.J is playing great right know with the Giants, he is the #4 defenceman with Mikkelsson and Thelen also helps quarterback the powerplay with his booming slap shot.

That right there tells me all the more I need to know. He's a #4 defenseman in the WHL at 21? That's awful for anyone hoping to play in the NHL.

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
Jacob said:
That right there tells me all the more I need to know. He's a #4 defenseman in the WHL at 21? That's awful for anyone hoping to play in the NHL.
Ahead of him on the depth chart are John Blum, Cody Franson and Brendan Mikkelson, 3 top prospects. him being 4 says nothing about his nhl potential

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Why would they get the 42nd pick if they dont sign him?

The same reason Boston got the 37th pick for not signing Lars Jonsson. You get a compensation pick in the 2nd round (in the slot where he was drafted in the first round, Thelen drafted 12th, so 12th pick of 2nd round) if you don't sign one of your previous first rounders.

Last edited:

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

When he was with PA he was #1. Played every 2nd shift and was a workhorse. You can see the potential he has and his defensive game has really come around.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

At this point, the first problem is that he's the #4 defenseman.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site

I've been watching him with the Giants and I completely disagree. I often question whether he would see any ice at all if he wasn't a big name.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thelin is too old to re-enter the draft, and instead will be an UFA on June 1. Article is incorrect on that count.

He's a pretty decent WHL defender, but has limited pro upside. Skating is very average and his offensive game hasn't developed at all (and has probably regressed) since being drafted. Is a big body with a decent skill level, and his defensive game has improved a lot since entering the WHL. Someone will sign him, but I wouldn't expect much. Is probably a lesser prospect at this point than a guy like Busto who the Rangers signed this week.

He's actually probably the #5 defender on the Giants, as Festerling is a more important cog as well. But he would be top-3 on most WHL teams.

It is ridiculous that teams get compensated for bad picks. There should be some sort of threshold in place to ensure that picks are only handed out for players who choose not to sign - for ie, teams have to have made a contract offer to the player which represents at least 70% of the rookie cap in order to receive the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->