Thelen likely to re-enter draft

Divine Wind

42nd pick eh. Not bad.

As for Thelen. I'd take a chance on him after the 4th or 5th round.

With 4 picks in the first two rounds, it might not be a bad idea for the Oilers to take him if he is still available in the third round. They have an entire farm team roster to fill, so a defenceman who is ready to sign a pro contract might be a good pick up.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
The same reason Boston got the 37th pick for not signing Lars Jonsson. You get a compensation pick in the 2nd round (in the slot where he was drafted in the first round, Thelen drafted 12th, so 12th pick of 2nd round) if you don't sign one of your previous first rounders.

Same as with Buffalo and Kriukov.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
The same reason Boston got the 37th pick for not signing Lars Jonsson. You get a compensation pick in the 2nd round (in the slot where he was drafted in the first round, Thelen drafted 12th, so 12th pick of 2nd round) if you don't sign one of your previous first rounders.

Wow i cant believe I didnt know that already........ok that said what the hell.......thats ridiculous that they get compensated for making a brutal first round pick really isnt it?

Its one thing if the guy says to the team no im never coming over im playing in europe for my career.......a completely different thing when you make a brutal pick and get an early 2nd round pick to make up for it.

mikethompson

Mar 20, 2007
Maple Ridge
hey jin do you have season tickets to the giants? i sit section 10 row 4 seat 5 and have had those seats for 3 years. where are yours if you have one.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
At this point, the first problem is that he's the #4 defenseman.

Personally who ever said he the Giants #4 dman doesn't no what hes talking about. In addition to Mikkelson, Franson and Blum, Festerling the Giants captain and most physical dman is way ahead of him and Regner gets as much or more icetime then him and is way better rounded, a decent sleeper pick in his own right.

LeafsrGods*

sucks for the wild not picking up a player like Stafford, Radulov, etc., etc., and picked up this guy. :(

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
wild get a good deal there with the 42nd pick..

Its a no brainer if they wouldn't take him before the 42nd pick themselves.

Kudos to the Wild staff for making this move and thereby be willing to admit they were wrong for the benefit of the team.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
geez the wild retain his rights until august 15th 2008
just like the canucks with corey schneider. AJ was drafted out of the ncaa and with the cba there is no more loopholes like previous(comrie, van ryn etc...)
show proof or a link that he would re-enter this years draft ? while it does look less and less like he will be signed he isnt eligible for the 07 draft unless the wild were to release him.

and yes i saw the first post but check the cba and it will disprove the article

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Think anybody will sign him as a free agent? His development may not be up to standards but he may be worth a gamble if he's willing to spend a season or two in the AHL.

The Hurricanes have a tendency to pick up players that others let re-enter the draft (Willis, Zigomanis, Vagner, Zepp, etc.) so it wouldn't shock me in the least to see them use a 5th or something along those lines on picking up Thelen. Seems like the kind of project player that JR goes after every few years.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
dannoabram is right, the Wild doesn't lose Thelen's rights on June 1. As Thelen was drafted in 2004, the Wild own his rights until June 1 2008.

Section 8.6 (c)(ii) of the CBA:

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
dannoabram is right, the Wild doesn't lose Thelen's rights on June 1. As Thelen was drafted in 2004, the Wild own his rights until June 1 2008.

Section 8.6 (c)(ii) of the CBA:

where did i get august 15th from ? i was under the impression it was something about august 15th the summer of his graduating class. where does that come into play ?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
where did i get august 15th from ? i was under the impression it was something about august 15th the summer of his graduating class. where does that come into play ?

I think that's when NCAA players must be signed by (August 15th of the season after they graduate). I didn't know that Minnesota maintained Thelen's rights over this, so does that meen they won't end up with the 42nd overall pick now? Obviously he's not re-entering the draft unless they release his rights.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany

If he had stayed at college, he would have become an UFA at August 15th 2007, after his graduation.

Section 8.6 (c)(i) of the CBA:

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I think that's when NCAA players must be signed by (August 15th of the season after they graduate). I didn't know that Minnesota maintained Thelen's rights over this, so does that meen they won't end up with the 42nd overall pick now? Obviously he's not re-entering the draft unless they release his rights.

he is not re-entering the draft no matter what!!! he is to old. late born 86 players are the oldest NA players eligible for the draft and he is born in march so that makes him NOT ELIGIBLE!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->