The Yzerplan

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Apparently either Eddie Lack or Jacob Markstrom is getting dealt out of Vancouver. I wouldn't mind bringing in Lack while Vasy develops in Syracuse. $1.15m for one year, has proven he can win in the NHL.

Depends what they want but Lack would be perfect. Markstrom might be Lindback 2.0.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Depends what they want but Lack would be perfect. Markstrom might be Lindback 2.0.

Yeah, Lack is safer, and I'd be willing to pay more for him, even if he's more/less a rental. Bishop/Lack would have won us the president's trophy this year.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
The problem with Lack is what do you do with him after next season? Do you keep him and then play musical chairs with him, Bishop, and Vasya?

Bishop's deal kicks in this summer and he'll be here for 2 more years, I honestly don't see him being usurped in that time because he's incredibly solid.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I say you sign a veteran. Let Kristers and vet battle for back up. Explain to Vasy if Bishop gets hurt you are the new number one.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Vasy needs game and to build his endurance. The only way he gets that is being a starter.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The problem with Lack is what do you do with him after next season? Do you keep him and then play musical chairs with him, Bishop, and Vasya?

Bishop's deal kicks in this summer and he'll be here for 2 more years, I honestly don't see him being usurped in that time because he's incredibly solid.

In all likelihood, Lack is going to want a starting gig at the conclusion of his current contract. So it would be a one-off with him. But I'm fine with that. Our window is quite clearly open now. If we were to land him, he'd give us a year where we didn't have to worry too much about Bish getting injured or whatnot and we could rest him whenever needed.

Vasy, meanwhile, would be putting in reps in the AHL. At this time next year, we see where he's at and hash out our options. Maybe he needs more time in the AHL, maybe he can settle into an NHL backup job where he won't get much work. Right now though, he needs more minutes than we can give him in the AHL. Bish is the man here, and it won't be easy for Vasy to take his job.

Vasy needs game and to build his endurance. The only way he gets that is being a starter.

In the AHL, yeah.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I think Yzerman and Cooper made a mistake keeping Vasi up here just to ride pine. I understand he's the 2nd best goaltender in the organization, but if we were simply trying to play the 23 most skilled players then Carle, Sustr, Morrow and Brown would all be sitting while Nesterov, Koekkoek, Drouin and JAM all got their time. I thought it then and I think it now, keep Vasi as the #1 in the AHL until he proves his way out of it.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
In the AHL, yeah.

This. This. This. This. This. This.

Seriously, Bishop's a excellent goalie. The guy played with an very serious injury for goalies and still put up a show worthy performance.

Our goaltending is set.

Take Vasi, and throw him in the AHL. Give the kid a ton of practice and let him start 50+ games.

Bring Guds up, show him off a bit and get some trade value for him.

He's "starter" worthy, just not in our organization.

If we can show he's solid, maybe we can trade for another player (not really sure where we need to fill a hole yet until we see next season's roster) that helps us.

There's just no place for him on our team in the next decade unfortunately, which means we need to move him before he just leaves on his own.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think Yzerman and Cooper made a mistake keeping Vasi up here just to ride pine. I understand he's the 2nd best goaltender in the organization, but if we were simply trying to play the 23 most skilled players then Carle, Sustr, Morrow and Brown would all be sitting while Nesterov, Koekkoek, Drouin and JAM all got their time. I thought it then and I think it now, keep Vasi as the #1 in the AHL until he proves his way out of it.

na we need to decrease bishops's starts next season no reason vasy should not get 25-30 starts. Why give up assets for eddie lack ? no need to we have bishop, Vasy, guds and Wilcox that's a pretty strong top 4 goalies. I think Wilcox is too good for the echl so our ahl goalies are guds and Wilcox.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This. This. This. This. This. This.

Seriously, Bishop's a excellent goalie. The guy played with an very serious injury for goalies and still put up a show worthy performance.

Our goaltending is set.

Take Vasi, and throw him in the AHL. Give the kid a ton of practice and let him start 50+ games.

Bring Guds up, show him off a bit and get some trade value for him.

He's "starter" worthy, just not in our organization.

If we can show he's solid, maybe we can trade for another player (not really sure where we need to fill a hole yet until we see next season's roster) that helps us.

There's just no place for him on our team in the next decade unfortunately, which means we need to move him before he just leaves on his own.
No points are going to be too important! we finished two points behind montreal in the divison! If we have bishop and vasy all season next year I see no reason why we can't win our divison. having Nabokov till December cost us the divison!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
na we need to decrease bishops's starts next season no reason vasy should not get 25-30 starts. Why give up assets for eddie lack ? no need to we have bishop, Vasy, guds and Wilcox that's a pretty strong top 4 goalies. I think Wilcox is too good for the echl so our ahl goalies are guds and Wilcox.

Never said to get Eddie Lack. Bring Guds up to backup Bishop. Vasi is the future and he should be getting groomed properly for that.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Never said to get Eddie Lack. Bring Guds up to backup Bishop. Vasi is the future and he should be getting groomed properly for that.

guds is not a good enough back up goalie for the nhl I want as many points as we can get keep bishop and vasy in the nhl.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i think goaltending is least of our debate or problems

now what i want?? I thought a lot about it

carle tossed brown moved morrow done sustr maybe dealt barberio dealt

go sign oduya and richards we should have the money we made money this year so can use all of ohlunds money not sure who can slide back to ahl?? not sure on cap how to work it get 20 people on roster before day one and use ohlunds money to get these two in house??and not sure who would be final piece or pieces

but stamkos drouin kuherov
palat tyjo richards
filppula killorn callahan
boyle paquette namestnkov

marshmellow? erne ?? is another kid supposed to be another killorn in ahl we signed figure have more???

lines hedman oduya
stralman garrison
coburn nesterov
sustr

call ups witkowski and koekkoek
bishop vasilevskis I feel that is a cup team
if we have guys go down we have a few kids to make i but that d ranks has to be close to best in nhl

having 5-6 centers and many guys capable up and down lines?? I just like it myself that third line would beast way better then the chicago team we faced

not sure can fit the money think would be tight but also i think we would sweep most teams in playoffs and get a cup if healthy

and yes if richards couldnt do top line go back to triplets etc..

just think it works think would put us way over the top not a little over the top coburn letting nestea move oduya letting heddy do same garrison and stralman together would be a rock I think

is not much down side I came up with

so anyways thoughts? arguments?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i think goaltending is least of our debate or problems

now what i want?? I thought a lot about it

carle tossed brown moved morrow done sustr maybe dealt barberio dealt

go sign oduya and richards we should have the money we made money this year so can use all of ohlunds money not sure who can slide back to ahl?? not sure on cap how to work it get 20 people on roster before day one and use ohlunds money to get these two in house??and not sure who would be final piece or pieces

but stamkos drouin kuherov
palat tyjo richards
filppula killorn callahan
boyle paquette namestnkov

marshmellow? erne ?? is another kid supposed to be another killorn in ahl we signed figure have more???

lines hedman oduya
stralman garrison
coburn nesterov
sustr

call ups witkowski and koekkoek
bishop vasilevskis I feel that is a cup team
if we have guys go down we have a few kids to make i but that d ranks has to be close to best in nhl

having 5-6 centers and many guys capable up and down lines?? I just like it myself that third line would beast way better then the chicago team we faced

not sure can fit the money think would be tight but also i think we would sweep most teams in playoffs and get a cup if healthy

and yes if richards couldnt do top line go back to triplets etc..

just think it works think would put us way over the top not a little over the top coburn letting nestea move oduya letting heddy do same garrison and stralman together would be a rock I think

is not much down side I came up with

so anyways thoughts? arguments?
holy cow if we can pull those moves off! we win the cup next year if we can stay healthy enough! Richards could happen but oduya would be indeed pretty high in demand. Richards could be a very good vet guy to help the kids on the power play. that might get brad Richards his 3rd Stanley cup. But why did stevie pass on Richards last year ? I thought brad had strong interest in coming here last offseason ? then we went morrow ?

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
JGEpuSP.jpg

Hope...

Carle is released.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Agree with all people that have said that Vasy needs to be in the A. Kid needs starts and playing time. He won't get it backing up Bishop.

We do need a good backup though, is the problem. I'm honestly willing to overpay for one. Nabokov cost us the President's Trophy, I have no doubt about that. I'm not sure Guds is good enough, but "good enough" might just be what Yzerman sticks with for that situation this next season.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
holy cow if we can pull those moves off! we win the cup next year if we can stay healthy enough! Richards could happen but oduya would be indeed pretty high in demand. Richards could be a very good vet guy to help the kids on the power play. that might get brad Richards his 3rd Stanley cup. But why did stevie pass on Richards last year ? I thought brad had strong interest in coming here last offseason ? then we went morrow ?

not the report i heard richards wanted to go to chicago they had a spot with us drouin etc.. wasnt same situation and he took league min or close to go to chicago he knew could have third line center for chicago they had cup shot etc..

i figure richards could be 3.5 range oduya 4.25 to 5 range deending on years

carle is 5.5 brown is 1 million ohlund 3.65 million barberio was like 700k

so to me the money range is there but we cannot use ohlund till after the deadline date so somehow have to have 20 up till that point then can bring up the other three etc...
so not sure we can swing it or not without having exact numbers of capgeek no more:(

yet i think richards said he would like to come back someday i think him and oduya are casualties brad does a pitch like callahan did for us and we win :)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
not the report i heard richards wanted to go to chicago they had a spot with us drouin etc.. wasnt same situation and he took league min or close to go to chicago he knew could have third line center for chicago they had cup shot etc..

i figure richards could be 3.5 range oduya 4.25 to 5 range deending on years

carle is 5.5 brown is 1 million ohlund 3.65 million barberio was like 700k

so to me the money range is there but we cannot use ohlund till after the deadline date so somehow have to have 20 up till that point then can bring up the other three etc...
so not sure we can swing it or not without having exact numbers of capgeek no more:(

yet i think richards said he would like to come back someday i think him and oduya are casualties brad does a pitch like callahan did for us and we win :)

Why are we bringing in another bottom pair D for over 4.5? Why are we bringing in a 3C for 3.5? We need to shed salary and fill from within. If we need to bring someone in its at the deadline with them being a pending UFA.

Unless Stamkos doesn't ask for a raise nobody over 1 year should be considered. We have 5 major contracts in the next few offseasons to worry about, we need our prospects to step up or short cheap deals.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Agree with all people that have said that Vasy needs to be in the A. Kid needs starts and playing time. He won't get it backing up Bishop.

We do need a good backup though, is the problem. I'm honestly willing to overpay for one. Nabokov cost us the President's Trophy, I have no doubt about that. I'm not sure Guds is good enough, but "good enough" might just be what Yzerman sticks with for that situation this next season.

Then you'll have to find a more than decent goalie being ok to sign for just one year here, because Bishop ain't gonna play 60 games again next year. Good luck finding that gem. Vasy starting next season with Syracuse is one thing, him spending a full year without getting nhl experience is a complete waste on the other hand.... Which would happen if Bishop and "the gem" remain healthy.

Plus Gudļevskis deserves his share of playing time in the A too, it's not like Vasy is going to start every game for Syracuse, so what's better for Vasy, 40 starts in the ahl or 30 starts in the nhl ? Ask Vasy, I'm sure he'll tell you what.

Last edited:

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Then you'll have to find a more than decent goalie being ok to sign for just one year here, because Bishop ain't gonna play 60 games again next year. Good luck finding that gem. Vasy starting next season with Syracuse is one thing, him spending a full year without getting nhl experience is a complete waste on the other hand.... Which would happen if Bishop and "the gem" remain healthy.

Plus Gudļevskis deserves his share of playing time in the A too, it's not like Vasy is going to start every game for Syracuse, so what's better for Vasy, 40 starts in the ahl or 30 starts in the nhl ? Ask Vasy, I'm sure he'll tell you what.

Bishop is a 60 games/year goalie. So long as he doesn't have injuries, he's fine.

Vasi NEEDS playing time. Send him down, give him 50 starts there. Have Guds come up and give him the other 22 in the NHL. Wilcox can back up Vasi in the A.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Bishop is a 60 games/year goalie. So long as he doesn't have injuries, he's fine.

Vasi NEEDS playing time. Send him down, give him 50 starts there. Have Guds come up and give him the other 22 in the NHL. Wilcox can back up Vasi in the A.

Look i love Bishop. Let's be honest here though. If we want an extended run in the playoffs he shouldn't be getting 60 reps in. Around 50, then given the reigns in playoffs.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Well firstly Bishop has been frequently injured and I'm maybe wrong but I thought the coaching staff acknowledged Bishop will have trouble to play 87 (!!!) games again avoiding the injury concern if they wanted to make another deep run. It's not as if Tampa had a young player, being nhl ready and in needs of nhl experience in the pipes right ?
Secondly, from what I read, if there's one goalie that needs more seasoning in the A, it's Kristers, lots of talent but still raw, the kid could become a late bloomer though and that's fine.
I'm trying my best but I can't find the logic behind signing another goalie or call-up Kristers instead of giving Vasy 30-35 starts. I have just one question that comes to mind.

Why make it simple when we can make it complicated ? ;)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Why are we bringing in another bottom pair D for over 4.5? Why are we bringing in a 3C for 3.5? We need to shed salary and fill from within. If we need to bring someone in its at the deadline with them being a pending UFA.

Unless Stamkos doesn't ask for a raise nobody over 1 year should be considered. We have 5 major contracts in the next few offseasons to worry about, we need our prospects to step up or short cheap deals.
Who cares the Hawks cap out get cups then dump and retool! It's about getting what's puts us over the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad