Movies: The Yearly debate: Die Hard: Xmas movie or an action movie that takes place during Xmas

DIe Hard is....?

• Total voters

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
I stand by my opinion that it's not a Christmas movie because it's not about the spirit of Christmas.

To illustrate that point, consider some of the Christmas movies that don't actually take place on Christmas or only have a few scenes on Christmas, such as: It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, A Christmas Story, Elf, Home Alone 1 and 2, Christmas Vacation, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, and so on.

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I stand by my opinion that it's not a Christmas movie because it's not about the spirit of Christmas.

To illustrate that point, consider some of the Christmas movies that don't actually take place on Christmas or only have a few scenes on Christmas, such as: It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, A Christmas Story, Elf, Home Alone 1 and 2, Christmas Vacation, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, and so on.

FINALLY someone is speaking my language. This is kind of like the "is a hot dog a sandwich debate?" Sure, from a purely logical taxonomy point of view you can argue that a hot dog is a sandwich, but in no way does a hot dog exemplify the spirit of BEING a sandwich, and as far as I'm concerned Die Hard is a fantastic movie, that takes place at Christmas, but make no mistake Die Hard is not a hot dog

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I agree that Christmas movies are about the holiday, not just set at the holiday. It should be hard, if not impossible, to take Christmas out of them. It'd be easy to take Christmas out of Die Hard, though, because only a few decorations, references and songs would need to be removed and it'd still be the same great movie.
FINALLY someone is speaking my language. This is kind of like the "is a hot dog a sandwich debate?" Sure, from a purely logical taxonomy point of view you can argue that a hot dog is a sandwich, but in no way does a hot dog exemplify the spirit of BEING a sandwich, and as far as I'm concerned Die Hard is a fantastic movie, that takes place at Christmas, but make no mistake Die Hard is not a hot dog

Finally, someone is speaking my language!

Last edited:
Reactions: Primary Assist

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Somehow watching Harry and Takagi‘s brains splatter all over my screen doesn’t give me that Christmas spirit.

Big Die Hard fan, but I’m weird like that.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's a way for me to sneak a movie I love in a schedule of movies I at most mildly tolerate during the month of December.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
If simply having elements of Christmas (songs, decor) does not qualify Die Hard as a Christmas movie then one could argue that simply having action also does not qualify it as being an action movie. That's just stuff that's there.

If the ABOUT is what it's all about not how it's about it then Die Hard clearly is ... a family drama. A lonely man seeks reconciliation with his estranged family. The stuff that happens all around that is just stuff. :D

I want a hot dog.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If simply having elements of Christmas (songs, decor) does not qualify Die Hard as a Christmas movie then one could argue that simply having action also does not qualify it as being an action movie. That's just stuff that's there.

If the ABOUT is what it's all about not how it's about it then Die Hard clearly is ... a family drama. A lonely man seeks reconciliation with his estranged family. The stuff that happens all around that is just stuff. :D

I want a hot dog.

Have you forgotten the lesson from How the Grinch Stole Christmas? Christmas isn't just decorations and presents. Christmas means a little bit more! ;)

Seriously, Die Hard would be a very different movie without any action. It'd still be essentially the same movie without the Christmas decorations. That's really the argument.

To put it another way, Christmas in Die Hard isn't the sausage or the bun. It's the relish. If you take away the relish, you're still left with a pretty tasty hot dog. :D

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I feel like all these "If Die Hard is a Christmas movie, then so is X" arguments end up falling on deaf ears and fail as a gotcha, because people who don't care that Die Hard is considered a Christmas movie and don't find it wrong probably similarly wouldn't be appalled by the idea of any of these other things being considered a Christmas movie anyways, assuming that they are as much of a tradition at around this time of year.

Regarding it being "about Christmas", I feel like you could replace Christmas with Thanksgiving or a birthday and just about all of those movies would still work the same anyways.

Regarding it being "in the spirit of Christmas", wouldn't virtually anything conventionally positive/non-bleak be in the spirit of Christmas, including "reconciling with your family"?

Last edited:
Reactions: barriers

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I’ve never even see it

does this make me a crazy person?

Certainly not! It means only that you've been living under a rock, are uncultured and ignorant and have wasted your whole life 'til this point. :sarcasm:

I've been watching reaction videos on YouTube of people seeing Die Hard for the first time. It's been satisfying to see it live up to the hype with most of them, even though it's older than they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Macho King

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Have you forgotten the lesson from How the Grinch Stole Christmas? Christmas isn't just decorations and presents. Christmas means a little bit more! ;)

Seriously, Die Hard would be a very different movie without any action. It'd still be essentially the same movie without the Christmas decorations. That's really the argument.

To put it another way, Christmas in Die Hard isn't the sausage or the bun. It's the relish. If you take away the relish, you're still left with a pretty tasty hot dog. :D

AHHH, but what could be more Christmasy than the desire to reconnect and be with one's loved ones? That's at the heart of many a Christmas tale.

You could make the same argument that It's a Wonderful Life is merely a movie set at Christmas, but not a Christmas movie. The time period could be shifted elsewhere in the calendar and the movie's the same (Easter, funny enough, would be more thematically fitting).

I still want a hot dog. :laugh:

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Die Hard is an action-film set during Christmas. However film analysts see the narrative as multi-layered where the Christmas setting and the action scenes hide the real underlying plot of the movie which is considered a dubious ideological manoeuvre to reassert the values of patriarchy and supremacy. While the audience is focused on action and suspense, the skill of the movie pushes the story of an American male who asserts himself through through macho values, brute force and physical bravery. While fighting the terrorists he is also trying to save his family. On the surface there is an external terrorist threat, underneath McClane is trying to reclaim his wife, and he can do so only by rescuing the hostages and defeating the terrorists. The conscious part of the movie is the action narrative, the unconscious part is the defense of the family and Christmas which is under threat just like Fox News tells us it is.

Not saying I necessarily believe all this but i've read it somewhere :naughty:

Last edited:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The "its a christmas movie" narrative is just hipsters wanting to be edgy

Die Hard is no more of a Christmas movie than Lethal Weapon is.

edit: A Christmas movie is a movie where the plot falls apart if you remove Christmas from it.

Seriously. It's the exact same thing, and yet I never hear people refer to Lethal Weapon as an Xmas movie.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I’ve never even see it

I mean - it's a terrific action movie. Basically spawned a genre of action movies (away from the Stallone/Ahnold muscle to "every man in an impossible situation"-types that dominated the 90s). If you like action movies, definitely a good watch, and it got some great performances from all over the cast.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Seriously. It's the exact same thing, and yet I never hear people refer to Lethal Weapon as an Xmas movie.
That's because Lethal Weapon kinda sucks.

Well - it doesn't suck, but it doesn't "hold up" particularly well. It's fine, but that's it. It's just fine.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Die Hard is an action-film set during Christmas. However film analysts see the narrative as multi-layered where the Christmas setting and the action scenes hide the real underlying plot of the movie which is considered a dubious ideological manoeuvre to reassert the values of patriarchy and supremacy. While the audience is focused on action and suspense, the skill of the movie pushes the story of an American male who asserts himself through through macho values, brute force and physical bravery. While fighting the terrorists he is also trying to save his family. On the surface there is an external terrorist threat, underneath McClane is trying to reclaim his wife, and he can do so only by rescuing the hostages and defeating the terrorists. The conscious part of the movie is the action narrative, the unconscious part is the defense of the family and Christmas which is under threat just like Fox News tells us it is.

Similarly, Home Alone isn't just an innocent, fun movie for the whole family. It's secretly a defense of Christmas and traditional family values and an argument for xenophobia and castle doctrine.

Reactions: Puck

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I’ve never even see it

Pretty reasonable-- movie's aren't hard to not watch in general-- it's not like never having heard some popular musician or something. Personally, I only find Die Hard merely moderately enjoyable and serviceable, not some incredible can't-miss experience, and I'm not sure I even admire it much for being influential because a lot of the stuff that it influenced (typically stuff a lot weaker than Die Hard) seemed to end up being the kinds of formulaic summer blockbuster staples that annoy and underwhelm me most. I also like the John Woo/Chow Yun Fat gun-ballet movies more as far as pure dorky action goes.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

A supreme patriarchal Christmas movie. I'm okay with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad