Movies: The Yearly debate: Die Hard: Xmas movie or an action movie that takes place during Xmas

DIe Hard is....?

• Total voters

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Alright, this is getting out of hand. Home Alone could’ve taken place during Summer vacation?! There’s a bunch of Xmas-related plot points (I doubt the family has trouble catching a flight home in August), not to mention the overall look of the film and the constant Xmas music playing.
They're also specifically going to France to celebrate Christmas with their relatives there. IIRC Kevin's mom actually gets back home on Christmas Morning and Kevin talked to the neighbor during Christmas Eve church services.

Same boat as Lethal Weapon. Clearly Christmas movies :sarcasm:

I argue Lethal Weapon is more of a Christmas movie than Die Hard given the theme of family in the movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I agree with you but all of these things are also true for Die Hard, so my point is why should these arguments be applied for Home Alone but not for Die Hard.

This is where we disagree. There’s way more of an argument to be made for Die Hard being able to take place at any time of year. Home Alone, on the other hand, doesn’t work if it’s not set during Christmas.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
The way I see it, the plot is a result of Christmas. The thieves break into houses during christmas because that's when people are away from them and/or have valuable presents available to steal. No Christmas? No Sticky Bandits. The storyline of Die Hard would have occured regardless of Christmas.

The plot of Die Hard relies on it being Christmas. It has already been stated that John McClane is only there because it is Christmas but, I will admit, another reason for him being there could have been created. The heist needed to happen at Christmas. Hostages were required to make the heist work and the Christmas party was the ideal time to pull it off. Everybody was isolated to that one floor except for the couple security guards at the entrance. Any other day there would be employees scattered throughout the building and the people working construction on the unfinished floors would have also been there. They also needed Takagi to be there just in case he did give them the codes to the vault.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Both, but that still makes it a Christmas movie. I wouldn't bother watching it any time soon, but if I did I'd want to watch it around Christmas.

There are plenty of films I only like to watch certain times of the year. For example other "Christmas" movies for me because they happen in Winter and in some cases have a hint of Christmas are True Grit (remake), Nobody's Fool, Dead Poet's Society and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
The plot of Die Hard relies on it being Christmas. It has already been stated that John McClane is only there because it is Christmas but, I will admit, another reason for him being there could have been created. The heist needed to happen at Christmas. Hostages were required to make the heist work and the Christmas party was the ideal time to pull it off. Everybody was isolated to that one floor except for the couple security guards at the entrance. Any other day there would be employees scattered throughout the building and the people working construction on the unfinished floors would have also been there. They also needed Takagi to be there just in case he did give them the codes to the vault.

Even still, I don't think there is enough emphasis on Christmas in Die Hard. They mention the holiday several times in the movie, but its littered everywhere in Home Alone. Christmas decor all over the house. Hell, even their wall paper is Christmas themed. Christmas is really in your face in Home Alone

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Even still, I don't think there is enough emphasis on Christmas in Die Hard. They mention the holiday several times in the movie, but its littered everywhere in Home Alone. Christmas decor all over the house. Hell, even their wall paper is Christmas themed. Christmas is really in your face in Home Alone
The entire movie centers around it being Christmas and that it's taking place during a Christmas party. All the same criticism that people use against it being a "Christmas movie" are equally as valid against Home Alone, and even more so against It's a Wonderful Life.

maxresdefault.jpg

710oudE3EsL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Reactions: The Nuge

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
The entire movie centers around it being Christmas and that it's taking place during a Christmas party. All the same criticism that people use against it being a "Christmas movie" are equally as valid against Home Alone, and even more so against It's a Wonderful Life.

maxresdefault.jpg

710oudE3EsL._AC_UX679_.jpg

It's a Wonderful Life should NOT be considered a Christmas movie

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Alright, this is getting out of hand. Home Alone could’ve taken place during Summer vacation?! There’s a bunch of Xmas-related plot points (I doubt the family has trouble catching a flight home in August), not to mention the overall look of the film and the constant Xmas music playing.

This is where we disagree. There’s way more of an argument to be made for Die Hard being able to take place at any time of year. Home Alone, on the other hand, doesn’t work if it’s not set during Christmas.

Home Alone can't happen at any other time of year? A family I know left one of their children behind when they went to church for a day. It absolutely could take place at any other time where travel is required as a family. You just need an excuse to be traveling and something preventing the family from turning back in a quick fashion. A tornado, a hurricane, a fire, a sharknado, whatever, it could be done. :laugh:

Die Hard uses Christmas for the heist to take place and for Mr. McClane to be there. There are references to Christmas everywhere, from wrapping paper, Santa hats, music, trees, lighting, to jokes. The whole plot is centered around McClane being a wholesome guy who just wants to spend Christmas with his family, despite his wife having left him (and changed her name!). It has a great lesson in the end, if you're a good person you'll survive and if you don't, you won't (Takagi was greedy and wouldn't give up the codes so he could keep the money all to himself). They each learned to love each other for who they are and they realized how much they each mean to each other. Then there's Al, who has a redemption story for the ages. He unfortunately shot a thirteen year old kid because he thought he had a gun and was obviously pained by this, but he redeemed himself by killing Karl at the end.

I don't know how you can look at this and come to any other conclusion than it is a Christmas movie.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Home Alone could have occurred during summer vacation or Thanksgiving.

And you could say the same thing about Die Hard: No Christmas? No John McClane in Los Angeles.

Would you say It's a Wonderful Life is not a Christmas film? Christmas has no bearing on whether the plot happens or not.
Not ever family goes on summer vacation at the same time. Thanksgiving perhaps, but I thought the extra Christmas gifts were part of the target.

Anyways, the obvious theme of family being together at Christmas is pretty strong in Home Alone. Christmas music is heard semi-frequently. The clothes, the weather, everything about Home Alone was chock full of elements of Christmas by the director that it feels like a Christmas movie. I don't see any of the above part of Die Hard.

Die Hard is a Christmas movie for people who don't like Christmas movies. Great movie though. It has been a while since I saw it though, so maybe they are there.

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
Not ever family goes on summer vacation at the same time. Thanksgiving perhaps, but I thought the extra Christmas gifts were part of the target.

As mentionned, Hans Gruber's heist cannot happened if there is no Christmas party. He needs the tower to be mostly empty, except for a floor or two since he needs hostages. It is also preferable for him to have Takagi among the hostages.

Anyways, the obvious theme of family being together at Christmas is pretty strong in Home Alone. Christmas music is heard semi-frequently.

Rewatch Die Hard. Like 75% of the music is renditions of Ode to Joy, soundtracks with sleigh bells or straight-up Christmas songs.

The clothes, the weather, everything about Home Alone was chock full of elements of Christmas by the director that it feels like a Christmas movie. I don't see any of the above part of Die Hard.

The screenplay of Home Alone has 37 mentions of "Christmas" whereas Die Hard's has 18 mentions. So, Home Alone does have more mentions of Christmas, but with 18 mentions, Die Hard still keeps referring to the holiday. How many mentions does a movie need to be seen as Christmassy? For instance, Bad Santa's script has 19 mentions of Christmas, just one over Die Hard.

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
Data suggests that Die Hard is increasingly being consumed by viewers as a Christmas movie. Here is the distribution of its Wikipedia pageviews:

Average-spread-of-annual-Wikipedia-pageviews-for-Die-Hard.png

There's a clear spikes of pageviews in December. Is this pattern typical for action films? Let's have look with other classics of the genre:

Average-spread-of-annual-Wikipedia-pageviews-for-top-action-movies.png

Contrarily to Die Hard, there is no pattern observed across the year. On the other hand, Wikipedia pages for Christmas movies have obviously a lot more views in December:

Average-spread-of-annual-Wikipedia-pageviews-for-top-Christmas-movies.png

Die Hard's spread is sort of in between the action film and Christmas movie patterns. However, Google Trends suggests that converged towards the 'Christmas movie' pattern, with the movie getting more Google searches in December over the years:

Google-trends-data-for-the-term-Die-Hard-in-the-US.png

I just had a look and the spikes for December 2018 reached 73, which is substantially higher than the 2017 spike (at 50).

Reactions: Blender
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
As mentionned, Hans Gruber's heist cannot happened if there is no Christmas party. He needs the tower to be mostly empty, except for a floor or two since he needs hostages. It is also preferable for him to have Takagi among the hostages.

Rewatch Die Hard. Like 75% of the music is renditions of Ode to Joy, soundtracks with sleigh bells or straight-up Christmas songs.

The screenplay of Home Alone has 37 mentions of "Christmas" whereas Die Hard's has 18 mentions. So, Home Alone does have more mentions of Christmas, but with 18 mentions, Die Hard still keeps referring to the holiday. How many mentions does a movie need to be seen as Christmassy? For instance, Bad Santa's script has 19 mentions of Christmas, just one over Die Hard.

Convincing points for sure. I suppose it really is one of those "in the eye of the beholder" things. Maybe what it is that makes it feel less "Christmasy" is the climate of Southern California. If the setting were a colder climate and the exposition shots had some snow it would help me get over the bits that don't feel like Christmas.

Finally, Die Hard may be just too good of an action film for me to see it as anything more than an action film that takes place at Christmas, if that makes sense. Cheers.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Uses Christmas as a plot device which could be easily interchanged with just a regular end of quarter or employee party. Def not a ‘Christmas movie’ in the sense of Home Alone or others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sega Dreamcast

archangel2

May 19, 2019
couple of fun factoids about Die hard and on of it sequels..

Die Hard is in fact a sequel. If that confuses you, this will to. Frank Sinatra starred in the original. The original was based upon a book called The Detectives written by Rodrick Thorp. Die Hard is based upon the sequel to the book called Nothing Lasts forever. According to the original contracts, when Die Hard was green lit, they had to offer 70 something Frankie the lead as he had it in his original contract he had the right of first refusal for any sequel. Frank was offered the role but after a white envelop changed hands, he agreed he was too old to star in the movie

If Die Hard 3 seemed a little like a Lethal Weapon movie it is because the script use was one that was rejected by that franchise

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ain't binary choices a bitch. I can't go with that "100%" proviso in choice "A" Die Hard is an action movie set during Christmas that has become a definite Christmas movie by now. Fun thread, for sure.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You just had to bump this :laugh:.

We should've had a thread last month named The yearly debate: Halloween: Halloween movie or horror movie that takes place during Halloween :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad