The worst part about getting eliminated would be....

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
After Game 2, they had jumped to the second favorite in Vegas at only like +250 to win the Cup. When you get this far and are up 2-0 in the ECF, you want the Cup. The worst part will therefore be not winning the Cup.

There's no gravy or house money or exceeding expectations or any of that for me.

And obviously disappointment in not seeing Cup final games (or even skating around with the Cup) from the seats I saw them win Game 7 PGH and Gamd 6 CAR -- two of my favorite sporting events ever.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I would easily pay the spots from end of 2nd round to end of first to get our kids the experience of playing in the ECF against a veteran double stanley cup champion team in an (at least 6) game series. That alone will impact this organization far more than those spots. This is how winning culture is earned.
I think the experience angle is being oversold.

They picked up a ton of experience in the first two rounds. I'm not sure there is anything specific about a 6 or 7 game series against Tampa Bay that teaches them THAT much more. More, yes, but how much? They are learning lessons in a series loss, but had they lost the Carolina series, would they not have learned lessons there too?

If the difference between the first round pick and the second round pick is Brennan Othmann vs. Karl Henricksson, it's not worth it. If the difference is Joe Veleno compared to Ivan Morozov, perhaps it was worth it.

But don't just dismiss the loss of the first. It's substantial.

If "winning culture" being learned by undertalented forwards was enough, the mid-2010's Rangers would have won back to back Cups.

They didn't. You need overwhelming offensive talent too.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If we lose in 6, we can expect a flood of posts from Toronto fans about how their team was clearly better, since they took Tampa to 7 games.

• Haha
Reactions: FUZfan

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The worst part, for me, is that even though no one really expected us to be here and this year is an unequivocal success...you never know when or if you'll be back. I remember after losing to the Kings, I thought, "Henrik is in his prime, we have a great core, we'll be back in no time." And then, we weren't. We blow it the next couple years and then bam, it's a rebuild. We never got back. Henrik never got back.

As great as this year has been, and as promising as the future looks, you just never know. That's the worst part for me. You pack your bags, go home, and hope you can make it back to this point--and farther--but don't actually know if it will happen.

Lundkvist was 32 at that time, though.

Shesterkin is 26.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I wouldn’t be mad if it was any other team. I’m not too mad anyway because this wasn’t hard to see coming against the Lightning.

You know, I just realized there hasn’t been an interesting Stanley Cup Final since Vancouver-Boston.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I wouldn’t be mad if it was any other team. I’m not too mad anyway because this wasn’t hard to see coming against the Lightning.

You know, I just realized there hasn’t been an interesting Stanley Cup Final since Vancouver-Boston.

Rangers-Avs or Lightning-Avs would both be great Finals. Popular and well known teams historically

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Well IF we get eliminated the worse part would be the fact that the kid line could have played a lot more and gained even more experience then they already have.

The best part of getting eliminated is that GG, Panarin, Strome and Trouba were all exposed.
Perhaps GG can learn from it and play our young forwards more
Hopefully the result is strome is gone and pan and tru come back in next year's POs better and hungrier and ....smarter??

Overall great season and it's not even over yet
LGR!

Reactions: CLW

anthonyd46

May 29, 2015
Greenwich, CT
www.survivorgif.com
The regular season was just such a grind. The worst part will be how long it takes to get back to this point next year.
That's the thing and when you have so many teams make the playoffs the paths change each year too. Just look at the last week of the season Rangers were tied for the Metro lead if they had won that the Penguins series happens maybe a round later or not at all and the Penguins now have a fully healthy goalie and who knows how different the series would be.

That's why you gotta grasp these chances when you can. This is still a winnable series. I don't think the team feels defeated and that is what matters.

The city hasn't even had a major sports team play in a finals since what the Mets in 2015? So it would be nice to see them pull this off and see what happens from there (obviously hopefully win, but after being up 2-0 you would think you would have a high chance to at least get there).

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
That's the thing and when you have so many teams make the playoffs the paths change each year too. Just look at the last week of the season Rangers were tied for the Metro lead if they had won that the Penguins series happens maybe a round later or not at all and the Penguins now have a fully healthy goalie and who knows how different the series would be.

That's why you gotta grasp these chances when you can. This is still a winnable series. I don't think the team feels defeated and that is what matters.

The city hasn't even had a major sports team play in a finals since what the Mets in 2015? So it would be nice to see them pull this off and see what happens from there (obviously hopefully win, but after being up 2-0 you would think you would have a high chance to at least get there).

Yea I hope they aren't down on themseleves. Hope we can pull G6 and then G7 is a tossup.

But if they do get eliminated it will take a full calendar year for us to watch them get another shot. That sucks.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
If Kaako, Laf, Chytil and Miller can build on what they accomplished in the playoffs that makes me feel better about not having a first. Also it helps that Othmann had a good season and Kravstov might play for us.

Reactions: McRanger92

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The worst part about it is that there is A LOT of luck and bounces involved in the playoffs and making it this far, so it’s sad we are likely done. Next year we could easily have a better team and get eliminated in the first round.

A lot went right for us this year, it’s unfortunate it didn’t continue.

Reactions: FultonReed

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
They didn't. You need overwhelming offensive talent too.
yeah but Tampa doesn't really have that either right now and they have a chance as good as anyone to beat Colorado. Palat being the difference is not "overwhelming" offensive talent against us.

We are *right* there.

But anyways, what's funny is the way palat scored two goals in the waning minutes to win, like Kreider did against Pitt in game 6.

Just lol

This would be the hardest part because it took 50 + regular season wins + 10 playoff wins to even get to that point.
It took Tampa 5 years to finally get it done. We have a lot of grinding left to do, a lot. Unfortunately that's how it works.

Tampa WILL suck b@lls in a few years. Like last place garbage tier. We will be in their current position year after year soon enough if not already.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
if our rebuild was good enough I don't think we need to worry about not getting back here. I think it was. Especially with Shesterkin and Fox and the emegernece of the younger players

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
The worst part for me would be:

-Having seen a group of youngsters rise to the occasion and find themselves. Would hate to see Laffy & Chytil turn into stars in this league.
-Knowing that our entire group has gained invaluable experience which could lead to us having a MUCH better shot in future playoffs
-Still having the best goalie in the world, who by the way now has multiple 7 game series under his belt
-Knowing we have mutiple young prospects who may be ready to come in and help this team get even better
-Seeing K'Andre Miller be an absolute wizard, and knowing that he's not even in his prime yet
-Having proven that this squad absolutely will NOT quit, great culture and team leadership
-Knowing we have the best open ice hitter in the NHL who has the ability to change a playoff series

Probably more but that's what I got for now.
With how tight these series have been checking wise, watching the kid line create space for themselves means they should be more productive next year. It will feel like Olympic ice with how much time and space it will feel like in comparison.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I think I know what TominNC is feeling that you're not getting maybe. It's like you're playing your videogame and close to getting to the big boss and you've run out of lives and have to start over.

With next season starting normally first week of October, it's going to be a quick off-season, and they are getting right back to it.
It's that and the insufferable negative Rangers fans who will discount everything next season and tar these players as guys who failed in one way or another in the playoffs.

I know and you know that this has been a rousing success regardless of what happens over the next few days.

That's loser talk. (just like the OP)
Then you've totally misunderstood my original post.

Reactions: Go Rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad