Post-Game Talk: The worst game they’ve played in over two months

Who would you start in Game 4?

• Total voters

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And oddly, Skinner has matched his save % in the playoffs
Teams tend to be a little better calibre in the playoffs.

Woodcroft seems intent to go with Skinner. The majority who voted in this poll disagree.

If we lose because of that decision and the defensive zone coverage Woodcroft incorporates stays the same we at the very least have to bring in another coach who knows how to set up a defense. This coaching staff as is apparently can not.

Like I said before, Ekholm doesn't even look good playing this lackluster easily bamboozled system.

At some juncture when every defenceman and center on the team looks like junk you have to consider either the strategy being coached is flawed or being completely ignored. Whichever it is, likely some combination, it's a major concern not only in these playoffs.
Whoa, cowboy, pull the reins back a bit. They had a bad game. Everyone on the team looked bad. Ekholm had the same issues. Woodcroft and the team looked like aces on Saturday night. Did he get stupid in 2 days? Looked to me liked they all had heavy boots.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
meh. Its hard being on a Canadian team during playoffs. Theres a level of atmosphere here that doesn't happen in other markets. The team being out on the road for last game in LA through to two games in Vegas may be the right call as it gets the Oilers out of town and able to be in places where they can actually breathe, go to a store, relax, see some entertainment etc. The life of a Canadian player in a Canadian city in the playoffs is more and more getting to be in the bubble. you pretty much have to wear disguise to leave the house.

The Oilers players, themselves would have been all over this decision, would have been consulted, and would have chosen being out of town. Don't tell that to the spouses.

Team identity is found on the road. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. ;)
I think their game stayed in Vegas. Lol

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
This was my mindset too for the 1st round but at this point in the playoffs the only 'starting' goalie with worse numbers that's still playing is Vanacek (and he's splitting with Schmid). As big of a risk Campbell might be I cant imagine him being any worse than Skinner has been.

It’s funny because I’ve been one of the harder “stick with Stu guys” for a long time.

But man. Ive lost so much confidence in him.

I still think he is the guy to go back to. But game 4 should be a very short leash.
Fair enough.

He did bounce back well in game 2 though.

Tough call either way.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I'm not taking any stock into momentum game to game. In most of these playoffs a team who has gotten blown out has come back and won, many times having a blow out game themselves. lol

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I don't know if I agree with this, he had a great playoffs just last year. Not defending his play this year at all, but those were big games in 2022 and he did well.
He had a great series vs. Calgary.

In Round 1, he had zero EV points (1PPA) in games 4, 5, 6, 7 combined

In Round 3, he went 1g1a -2 in the 8-6 loss game 1, then his production for the rest of the series was 1 goal.

He didn't show up for the Jets series the year before that and he hasn't shown up in the first 2 rounds of this year.

Hes had a good series in 1 of his last 6 playoff series. He's not built for playoffs.

CaptainUgly

27 Time World Champions
Apr 22, 2018
Was worried your goaltending could be a problem. Hopefully it corrects itself in game 4.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Dallas announcer mentioned something about all the odd man rushes the Oilers missed before the game went sideways. It is deeply concerning how they can't convert these.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Dallas announcer mentioned something about all the odd man rushes the Oilers missed before the game went sideways. It is deeply concerning how they can't convert these.
Yup. Seems like EDM has had a lot of troubles getting that next goal to get some breathing room all playoffs. Then the other team gets a few and it changes the entire game. The only exception has been a few games.

Reactions: Duke74

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Hope Oil win. Teams down 3-1 have like a ~9.4% historic chance of winning

Didn't Jersey just do it too

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Hope Oil win. Teams down 3-1 have like a ~9.4% historic chance of winning

Didn't Jersey just do it too
Florida coming back from 3-1 is probably the only comeback we'll get all playoffs after a team is down 3-1 or 3-0. Not sure what the record is for most times it happened in one playoff year.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Are people really on Skinner for game 3? I mean he has been shaky at times in the playoffs (rookie problems) but maybe, just maybe, don't give Vegas all day and wide open lanes to pick their shots so often? I dunno seems too easy right?

UHHHH SON

Sep 29, 2010
Kane needs to save us.

We need 5 top performers, 2 are a given and Skinner will be the third.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
Said every crook or gangster who worked Vegas.

That place is full up on individuals driven by evil and degeneracy and a professional athlete would be the biggest score of a lifetime for 99% of them. The other 1% is you know who.

Did you do some pervert shit there? I guess I'll never know and glad of it.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

That place is full up on individuals driven by evil and degeneracy and a professional athlete would be the biggest score of a lifetime for 99% of them. The other 1% is you know who.

EC9019D2-EDF2-4BCB-BE74-BEC1658CA1C5.gif

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

backyard-becky-karen.gif

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I mean you have been advocating for Campbell all season which to be honest defies logic. So your stand here isnt really a surprise. You want to see Campbell play and thats fine.
Can confirm. Campbell seems to have his fans for whatever reason. That said, I’m not overly comfortable with Skinner either. The Calder talk, the allstar appearance. It’s kinda overstated imo. Skinner is a rookie and he’s done better than I expected but he’s no allstar, and he’s showing that with his performance in the playoffs so far. Couple really good games. Couple OK games. Couple terrible games. That’s not really an allstar by my definition of the word. For me, that Whitecloud goal in particular was terrible. He takes one step forward to face the shooter and that goal never gets by him. If the team can’t count on the goalie to stop those shots, they are in trouble.

Not blaming him at all. I think there is a very good chance that he’s burned out mentally from the roller coaster season, the heavy workload, the changes in family life and now the pressure of the playoffs. It would be a lot for anyone.

Don’t envy Woody his decision on who starts tomorrow. I doubt that either guy has his full confidence. Tough to roll the dice in a game four when a bad performance would probably mean the end of the season. For that reason I suspect he goes with Skinner. I’d be really tempted to go with Campbell myself, but that’s easy to say from the anonymity of my sofa.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Can confirm. Campbell seems to have his fans for whatever reason. That said, I’m not overly comfortable with Skinner either. The Calder talk, the allstar appearance. It’s kinda overstated imo. Skinner is a rookie and he’s done better than I expected but he’s no allstar, and he’s showing that with his performance in the playoffs so far. Couple really good games. Couple OK games. Couple terrible games. That’s not really an allstar by my definition of the word. For me, that Whitecloud goal in particular was terrible. He takes one step forward to face the shooter and that goal never gets by him. If the team can’t count on the goalie to stop those shots, they are in trouble.

Not blaming him at all. I think there is a very good chance that he’s burned out mentally from the roller coaster season, the heavy workload, the changes in family life and now the pressure of the playoffs. It would be a lot for anyone.

Don’t envy Woody his decision on who starts tomorrow. I doubt that either guy has his full confidence. Tough to roll the dice in a game four when a bad performance would probably mean the end of the season. For that reason I suspect he goes with Skinner. I’d be really tempted to go with Campbell myself, but that’s easy to say from the anonymity of my sofa.
Absolutely fair take.
Skinner never seems to get to the place where he just closes the door. As a fan I never get the feeling like he just isnt going to let another one in.

I saw an angle of the Eichel goal yesterday that may suggest that he could have had that one. The Whitecloud shot though was perfectly placed...right over the left shoulder just under the bar.
I think that shot goes in on most if not all NHL goalies.

All that being said I get why there are fans that arent confident with Skinner in net.
For me....I have no allegiance to Skinner.
I just think that Skinner gives the team a better chance to win and thats all I care about.
I wish that the $5M acquisition wasnt so brutal that he didnt force the team to ride with a rookie goalie for the entirety of the season.

I mean Campbell should be embarrassed...not only at his inability to give this team consistent goaltending this season but that his best was ECHL quality goaltending.

So the bottom line for me...I have faith in the rookie goalie that he will offer at least average goaltending.
I have no faith that Campbell can do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad