The World Cup Brazil 2014! Part 2. Germany are the World Champs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolClarkson*

They weren't that purposefully inept against Mexico or Costa Rica. They turned it down another level today.

They were going to stick with what was working no matter what. Dutch people are stubborn :)

Dutch soccer was in shambles after the 2012 Euro Cup. This run shows that we are back in it.

I just couldn't imagine being a fan of a team like Spain who was out right away. I am still happy from the Mexico win. And the Costa Rica win. These win or go home tourneys do that to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Against Costa Rica they were constantly trying to push the ball forward, but it's hard to generate opportunities against a team that refuses to go forward.

Against Argentina they controlled possession in the second half, but were tenative on the attack. Too afraid to go all in. Given the ability of Messi to setup a counter attack, it was probably the right strategy. But not entertaining.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Man! That was tight marking all game. Messi had two players on him almost the whole game and was getting mugged out there. I think he can expect more of the same from the Germans. If you can neutralize Messi then Argentina doesn't look nearly as dangerous.
Kudos to Robbens. He is just a joy to watch. That guy has a motor that never quits running and somehow he always gets in position.
Penalty kicks is a cruel way to decide a game
Cheering for the South Americans but I think they will be the underdogs.

LolClarkson*

Against Costa Rica they were constantly trying to push the ball forward, but it's hard to generate opportunities against a team that refuses to go forward.

Against Argentina they controlled possession in the second half, but were tenative on the attack. Too afraid to go all in. Given the ability of Messi to setup a counter attack, it was probably the right strategy. But not entertaining.
I would argue that they went all in because they subbed a forward on toward the end rather then save that bullet on Krug. They went all in on paper anyway.

LolClarkson*

Man! That was tight marking all game. Messi had two players on him almost the whole game and was getting mugged out there. I think he can expect more of the same from the Germans. If you can neutralize Messi then Argentina doesn't look nearly as dangerous.
Kudos to Robbens. He is just a joy to watch. That guy has a motor that never quits running and somehow he always gets in position.
Penalty kicks is a cruel way to decide a game
Cheering for the South Americans but I think they will be the underdogs.

Robben is 30 years old. He might just have one more in him.

One more :cry:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I would argue that they went all in because they subbed a forward on toward the end rather then save that bullet on Krug. They went all in on paper anyway.

Yeah - from that perspective.

In the first half, I though the Dutch were in a bit of trouble - giving up what, 3 corners in like 10 minutes. Messi's passing and Lavezzi's speed were giving them a lot of trouble, hence the Yellow on Martins Indi. Fortunately, without Di Maria, the Argentines lacked finish. The Netherlands' few forays forward in the first half were long balls to Van Persie, whose first touch seemed to fail him.

In the second half, it seemed the Netherlands was determined to retain possession, and did for the most part. But they were unable to penetrate the Argentina back line and were unwilling to take risks with the ball due to Messi's dangerous counter attack. The Argentine defense was far better than I expected - particularly Mascherano in the mid-field and Zabaleta on the back. The Dutch had a huge advantage in height and size, but were unable or unwilling to serve balls into the area where they would be contested. They seemed to just repeatedly kick it back out to setup again.

Anyways - I was hoping for a Netherlands - Germany final because the rivalry is about as intense as it gets. Germany - Argentina should be a good match up as well.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Certainly (barring injuries) should have at least another Euro at elite level. Not sure he (and Van Persie) has it in him to be the engine of the Dutch team at 34.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Anyone know what the spot to watch for Argentina supporters is?

Anywhere but here:

alpenclub-11.jpg

ubiquitous

*shink*
Aug 19, 2008
Prince George, BC
Sad to see the Dutch whimper out the way they did. Was really shocked to see RVP swapped when the Krul strategy worked so well last time. Oh well rooting for Messi now.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Hopefully Germany wins it all this year. Too many times being kicked out of the Semi's. Time to finally win one.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I predicted a Brazil-Argentina final, so I'm half right! Argentina has been one of the best defensive teams in the tournament, but their offensive hasn't clicked. Still, they have Messi who can break open a game.

Germany has been very impressive. They have best attack of the WC and constantly send 8 guys forward at once. However, their defense has never been really tested. In the Algeria game, they were exposed when balls were hit behind the two centre backs.

This will be a great final.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Argentina is incredible historically on kicks and the Netherlands should have known Argentina would try to dope them into a defensive match. Argentina loves going to penalties.

The Netherlands just burned away another great team by taking a far too defensive posture. Not finding a way to keep Van Persie and Huntelaar on the field at the same time was ultimately their undoing imo.

Will the 2018 team be as good? They likely wont have as many top notch players in their prime.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Brazil fans already rioted.....burn some bus already..........it just get worse after sunday if Argentina wins

Announced a few hours ago that the Brazilian Government will be launching an investigation how they lost to one of the best teams in the world. I was amused by this until their reports that some of the Brazilian players were seen up very late the night before having too much fun

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
If that's the case, it's up to the federation to suspend the players as they see fit (mind you, I'm thinking many of them will not play another game with the Selecao after Saturday anyways). However, the Brazilian government shouldn't have nothing to do with it, and I would hope that FIFA will look at providing suspensions to Brazil if the government does interfere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad