OT: The World Cup Brazil 2014! June 12 - July 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imuzi

Viaduct Villains
Mar 18, 2012
Representin' the COQ
football_england_badge.jpg

Hopefully some of the games this year will be at a respectable time so I can enjoy it at some cafes on commercial drive. I've noticed in the 'burbs that no one out here is crazy about the World Cup at all.

That's part of the fun though! Nothing like getting up(or staying up) at an ungodly hour to watch some world class football

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
There is actually two groups of death. Group D is the other.

3 teams in FIFAs top 11, and a combined 7 World Cups between them.

Group B is pretty tough too. Both finalists from 2010 and Chile is pretty good too (especially playing on home continent, which has historically been a big advantage).

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Game times look to be mid day for us which sucks for anyone working. 9am, noon and 3pm PST seem to be the game times for most matches.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Still disappointed with how Canada went out. Had a great opportunity this time....

And with Ireland also out....no one to cheer for.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I am a German fan through and through...
But Belgium is a popular dark horse pick.
They can go far.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
****ing group B. Of all the groups to get.

I would have liked our chances of winning maybe one game in all the other groups (except maybe G, suck it USA). But group ****ing B...

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Matteo kovacic for croatia is a fantastic young player on a very talented dark horse team.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Canada having it's own MLS teams with their associated development systems will have a big effect on Canadian soccer. We will probably start seeing the benefits of this somewhere around 2025.

Hey, thats fine with me. As long as we become respectable, I'm happy. I'd love to qualify one day.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Canada having it's own MLS teams with their associated development systems will have a big effect on Canadian soccer. We will probably start seeing the benefits of this somewhere around 2025.

The problem is...
Do you trust the Canadian Soccer Association to lead them into the right direction?
The CSA is arguably one of the most inept governing body in the world...
As they continue to be self-satisfied with poor results.
:shakehead

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
The problem is...
Do you trust the Canadian Soccer Association to lead them into the right direction?
The CSA is arguably one of the most inept governing body in the world...
As they continue to be self-satisfied with poor results.
:shakehead

Oh heck no. The CSA is brutal. :shakehead What I do believe is that the MLS teams will want to develop their own talent so they can compete in the future. I see them applying real presure on the CSA to make effective changes and eventually lead to Canada punching at it's weight in the soccer world, rather than punching like a toddler.

One can hope, anyways.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Would also help if some of our best Canadian soccer players elected to play for Canada.

But it's a chicken and egg sort of situation. They don't want to play for Canada until We have success at the international level. But we won't have success internationally until our best players play for Canada....

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Would also help if some of our best Canadian soccer players elected to play for Canada.

But it's a chicken and egg sort of situation. They don't want to play for Canada until We have success at the international level. But we won't have success internationally until our best players play for Canada....

Needs more national pride. Though if I was an aspiring football player, I'm not so sure I would play for Canada.

Though in hockey there are some cases where Canadian's play for their other countries because they can't make Canada.

can't win situations, we know that. :)

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Ah the vuvuzuelas... really in my opinion destroyed the atmosphere and my ear drums. I would rather hear the unique chants from fans than a bunch of wannabe musicians.

Glad Brazil doesn't have it.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

The guys that have grown up here, been trained by Canadian coaches, played through the Canadian system should have some loyalty you would think.

I think a more realistic timeline is 2034.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce