OT: The Workout Thread Part II - I do 3 sets of nutrition

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I just discovered a new protein powder that some of you may be interested in.

I won't do soy (estrogen). I can't do whey (intolerant for some reason). The vegan options I tasted were terrible. I had settled on rice - it didn't taste good but was more palatable than the vegan options.

I found one called Carnivor - it's a beef-based protein isolate. I got a jug of chocolate (2.3 lbs - $26). Tastes great and no reaction at all. It is well reviewed as well. I can't testify to specific results yet but it's got 24 grams of protein isolate for after workouts.

Why do you believe soy to have a negative effect on your endocrine system? Have you come across any medical studies that demonstrate soy having a negative effect on testosterone or T/E ratio? As far as I can tell, soy affecting your hormones is all internet bro-science that has never been demonstrated to be true in a controlled study.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why do you believe soy to have a negative effect on your endocrine system? Have you come across any medical studies that demonstrate soy having a negative effect on testosterone or T/E ratio? As far as I can tell, soy affecting your hormones is all internet bro-science that has never been demonstrated to be true in a controlled study.

I would agree with this assessment.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC

My wife has done a lot of research and believes it. My holistic doctor has also told me to avoid it. That's enough for me.

Beyond that, there's the whole Monsanto/GMO issue that I'm not going to get into here.:(

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I can only read that abstract, but the study design (questionnaire) does not sound strong. Compare that to the study design and results of a meta study on the same subject:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19524224/

I'm not actually worried about "isoflavone intake on T, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), free T, and free androgen index (FAI) in men" and can't sort through all of that to find out if it addresses what I'm really worried about: Man Boobs. :laugh:

What does that all mean regarding moobs?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Oh, I don't care either way. I just wanted to be snarky, so I googled the topic on Google Scholar and posted the first link. Sorry for wasting your time.

It's not a waste of my time. I genuinely am interested in reading medical literature regarding the effects of soy intake. If it really is bad for you, I don't want to be consuming it either.

My point was that this subject has been studied ad nauseam and there has never been anything to conclusively show a significant correlation. I read that article that you posted (it was only 4 pages) and it was one of the worst articles I have ever read. There was no baseline to work off of, it introduced all kinds of recall bias with the subjects, and the only figures they could produce were literally the numerical outputs of their statistical computer program. Their ultimate conclusion could be correct, but it contradicts the conclusions of several other studies that actually use baseline data of their participants, among other parameters that make a stronger case. If you are going to go about proving something (internet rumor?) that everyone else has already disproven, your study better be ironclad and reproducible. This one was neither.

Last edited:

member 51464

Haha, wow. That is sort of interesting that something so poorly put together was the first result. Google needs to pick up its game.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
My wife has done a lot of research and believes it. My holistic doctor has also told me to avoid it. That's enough for me.

Beyond that, there's the whole Monsanto/GMO issue that I'm not going to get into here.:(

Buy organic soy. Problem solved.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
yoga requires intense focus and concentration...

yoga classes are also jam packed with hot women wearing almost no clothing...

thus, yoga is a minefield if you are a fan of the ladies

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
down to 10% body fat. ill call that a win.. paleo FTW

It does work, I've leaned up considerably since changing my diet and I still eat a lot (and cheat too often).

As for my plan of running 10k 3x a week....haven't done it since my last post, been sticking to 5-8k runs lately. I haven't ran since Thursday because this cold I got knocked me right on my ass and waking up at 5:30am when it's below freezing with my sinuses all blocked up isn't my idea of fun.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It does work, I've leaned up considerably since changing my diet and I still eat a lot (and cheat too often).

As for my plan of running 10k 3x a week....haven't done it since my last post, been sticking to 5-8k runs lately. I haven't ran since Thursday because this cold I got knocked me right on my ass and waking up at 5:30am when it's below freezing with my sinuses all blocked up isn't my idea of fun.

I hate how people give that a label. Yes, if you eat more meat, you get more vitamin B12, which helps you break down carbs and convert it to energy, you also get more amino acids that help with protein absorption. Then when you work out in addition to that diet, your body is going to regulate it even better and you'll feel better when you work out, you'll lift more, get more out of your workouts, etc. Not to mention the natural sugars from fruit and the omega 3 from the nuts as well as other sources of protein you are getting from the nuts and meats. I remember when my doctor and I had our talk before my physical and he was like, what do you do to train, you're in good shape for your age and I told him and he was like, well they have a name for that diet now, it used to be common sense, but now they have one that they can use to market it better.

I hate diets like that, I have always eaten that diet since I was a kid, before it was given a catchy name and became a trend.

Of course it works, lol.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I hate how people give that a label. Yes, if you eat more meat, you get more vitamin B12, which helps you break down carbs and convert it to energy, you also get more amino acids that help with protein absorption. Then when you work out in addition to that diet, your body is going to regulate it even better and you'll feel better when you work out, you'll lift more, get more out of your workouts, etc. Not to mention the natural sugars from fruit and the omega 3 from the nuts as well as other sources of protein you are getting from the nuts and meats. I remember when my doctor and I had our talk before my physical and he was like, what do you do to train, you're in good shape for your age and I told him and he was like, well they have a name for that diet now, it used to be common sense, but now they have one that they can use to market it better.

I hate diets like that, I have always eaten that diet since I was a kid, before it was given a catchy name and became a trend.

Of course it works, lol.

It's too bad when people hear the word "diet" they automatically think of someone skipping meals and counting calories. When I say I changed my diet to start eating healthier, people say "why are you on a diet?" Or that I've started running "Why do you need to run? Seriously?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Are there any fast Paleo recipes? bought a recipe book a while back and it had like 20 different things. Who's got time to spend all day in the kitchen?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Are there any fast Paleo recipes? bought a recipe book a while back and it had like 20 different things. Who's got time to spend all day in the kitchen?

It's simple, go eat a breast of chicken with some veggies and quinoa.

Paleo diet.

For a snack, eat a hand full of almonds and an apple.

Paleo diet.

Catchy name doe!

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC

It's simple, go eat a breast of chicken with some veggies and quinoa.

Paleo diet.

For a snack, eat a hand full of almonds and an apple.

Paleo diet.

Catchy name doe!

Cook a bunch of chicken breasts a couple times a week and chop broccoli or your veggie(s) of choice so they're ready - grab one breast for lunch with some veggies and one for dinner with some veggies. Virtually eliminates prep time (and thinking about it).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

But absolutely no wheat. Apparently, if neanderthals didn't eat it (and they ate basically nothing that we eat today) you shouldn't eat it.

The Paleo diet is ********. The basic premise of the diet is correct, eat lean proteins, tons of fruit and veggies, and nuts but the science and history of it is super sketchy. At the end of the day, it's just a marketing ploy. A successful one, mind you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad