OT: The Workout Thread Part II - I do 3 sets of nutrition

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Curls for the girls. If a man can't lift his own weight repeatedly, what is he worth? An autographed Jan Hrdina stick?

Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Body-Workout-Bar.jpg

This is how I do it (but only because Gary Roberts won't invite me to workout like supa-star James Neal).

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Curls for the girls. If a man can't lift his own weight repeatedly, what is he worth? An autographed Jan Hrdina stick?

This is how I do it (but only because Gary Roberts won't invite me to workout like supa-star James Neal).

I got the same door gym, i love it its good for different kinds of push ups and pull ups. Its just simple and great for building the upper body.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
@Johnniewalker

Do you have a significant iron deficiency? Iron can be very bad for you if you are taking in more than you need. I just wanted to call that out.

I'll list them here.

Glucosamine with NEM, tripple strength, Joint Ease Webber Naturals.

Chelazome Iron Trophic 25MG Iron

One 1 a day orange label for men is my vitamins

Multra with Iron Vitamin and Mineral Formula
10MG Iron (most of the back label is 10MG)

There is my 2 Iron's (35MG, might be a little high but i get EXTREME iron deficency, i almost can't walk or see right and almost collapse) that is Multra+Chelazome Iron, my 2 Vitamins (Multra+One 1 a Day), and my Glucosamine. It works SO MUCH, i feel like a brand new person. I had 2 hours sleep today because i could not find a good sleeping position but i'm WIDE awake, i'm now always wide awake. I'm just wondering what other pills i need for my body? I take 4 as it is.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Speaking of BodyBuilding.com.... their website is amazing. I order something in the morning and i get it the next day. It's ridiculous. Their shipping is so damn fast.

A BCAA to try out if you are looking for a new one is: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/rsp-nutrition/regen.html RSP ReGen is the easiest thing in the world to mix with water. I love the taste. I feel it does a good enough job.

Preworkout energy/focus: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/hyper-shred.html Hyper Shred by BSN. Pill form - great quick energy w/o crap jittery ****. I don't ever get anything from caffeine because I drink way to much, but this does a nice job for focus.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm trying to drop 10 pounds, but jesus christ smoking cigarettes is the worst thing you can do for your body. I used to be able to run 3x7 minute miles no problem, now I can only do 10 minute miles with a few breaks in between.

Tuna fish and veggies diet baby

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Does anyone here drink muscle milk? i've had it for a few weeks. I've read it's not bad for you, either. Zero sugar in it, 20G protein. It's a little pricey, like almost $3 per bottle.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm trying to drop 10 pounds, but jesus christ smoking cigarettes is the worst thing you can do for your body. I used to be able to run 3x7 minute miles no problem, now I can only do 10 minute miles with a few breaks in between.

Drop the smokes, you get more energy and a healthier body and no risk of lung cancer unless it's second hand.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

Still to this day I struggle with pull ups. I prefer to dangle while having 3 45's tied around my waist.

I've been doing 400 crunches, 100 push ups, 3 sets of 15 of 50lb curls, and 30 minutes a day on my heavy bag. My shoulders look pretty damn good. Only redeeming quality I have lol.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Instead of going to a tuna/veggies diet, i'd highly suggest just finding a diet that is right for you to actually live with. I watch too many people diet strictly then completely give it up. Portion control and finding alternatives is the best diet, IMO. Then you can really live the way your diet works for you.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So I weighed myself at 207, took a **** then moved scale and it said 228, moved it back to original spot and said 228, moved it upstairs and now I'm 220.....ok wut? So I'm no longer 207 pounds, now gained 13 pounds because I moved the scale???? Now ill only be able to say I've lost 33 pounds in 5 weeks but 20. I'm depressed...all that work now I'm up a lot. :( ok it's been 5 weeks and I've lost 20 pounds on Insanity.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
So I weighed myself at 207, took a **** then moved scale and it said 228, moved it back to original spot and said 228, moved it upstairs and now I'm 220.....ok wut? So I'm no longer 207 pounds, now gained 13 pounds because I moved the scale???? Now ill only be able to say I've lost 33 pounds in 5 weeks but 20. I'm depressed...all that work now I'm up a lot. :( ok it's been 5 weeks and I've lost 20 pounds on Insanity.

I started 2 years ago at 268, now down to 215. I'm 6"2 so close to my weight goal, now trying to lose the love handles and add some muscle burning fat

Don't give up

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Still to this day I struggle with pull ups. I prefer to dangle while having 3 45's tied around my waist.

I've been doing 400 crunches, 100 push ups, 3 sets of 15 of 50lb curls, and 30 minutes a day on my heavy bag. My shoulders look pretty damn good. Only redeeming quality I have lol.

If you can do one pull up, that's all you need for now. Here is an easy way to build yourself into a pull-up machine:

2-3 times a week do 12 sets of one pull up each. Rest 45s - min in between sets.

When you can do two pull-ups in a row, move it up to 6 sets 2 reps. Rest between sets.

Then when you can do three, do 4x3.

Keep slowly building up your reps per set and you'll be surprised how easily you can crank out pull-ups in a month or two. Then start experimenting with hand grip positions to make it harder.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You guys notice any difference with creatines? I just use quality creatine monohydrate powder. A friend's using that pricey CON-CRET stuff, but everything I've read suggests that as long as you get quality creatine, that CON-CRET jazz is just expensive window dressing.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I started 2 years ago at 268, now down to 215. I'm 6"2 so close to my weight goal, now trying to lose the love handles and add some muscle burning fat

Don't give up

Nice, good job. Guy at my work lost 87 pounds in 2 years walking up mountains, another lost 71.

What about the scale part? Should I subtract 13 pounds from it? Or pretend I gained 13 pounds and try losing it again? Would take me a month to do as I lose 2-3 pounds a week now. I dunno what to do about this problem. I never gained anything but if I subtract 13 pounds I'm cheating not starting at 0. I like watching my progress. I'm on recovery week of Insanity, I start the new month Monday.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

vader-impressive.jpg

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The life of an arthritic writer is a sedentary one...I'm thinking of getting an elliptical machine that will, almost certainly, not fit into my tiny little apartment...any (fairly) inexpensive recommendations?

johnniewalker

Dec 14, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
The life of an arthritic writer is a sedentary one...I'm thinking of getting an elliptical machine that will, almost certainly, not fit into my tiny little apartment...any (fairly) inexpensive recommendations?

About 6 years ago I bought a Schwinn 430 elliptical on Amazon.com for $600. It has held up really well from a quality standpoint, but it lacks some of the nice features you get on the gym-quality ones like articulating pedals and such. But for that kind of money, you can't expect too much, and it does provide every bit as good of a workout.

It looks like that one is no longer available, but has been replaced by either the 420 (http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-420-E...1371943840&sr=8-3&keywords=schwinn+elliptical) or the 425 (http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-100321-425-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B009K28INA/ref=dp_ob_title_sports)

The A40 looks really inexpensive, but kind of chintzy. That said, its lighter than the others and would probably still give a solid workout.

johnniewalker

Dec 14, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Nice, good job. Guy at my work lost 87 pounds in 2 years walking up mountains, another lost 71.

What about the scale part? Should I subtract 13 pounds from it? Or pretend I gained 13 pounds and try losing it again? Would take me a month to do as I lose 2-3 pounds a week now. I dunno what to do about this problem. I never gained anything but if I subtract 13 pounds I'm cheating not starting at 0. I like watching my progress. I'm on recovery week of Insanity, I start the new month Monday.

Move the scale to like 5 different spots and whatever the most consistent reading is... that is likely the true weight.

Scales do sometimes give a false reading in a certain spot, so that can happen. If you never moved the scale from that spot since you started your whole workout routine, then you can probably assume you were actually 13 pounds heavier when you started, too, and therefore you have still lost the same amount of weight.

I would also consider using waist circumference as a measure of progress, though, if I were you. Using a scale is tough, because as you get more fit, you will gain muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat, so there will come a time where your weight is not changing much despite a lot of effort, and it can be easy to get discouraged, but you will actually be losing inches off of your waist and such. You could technically lose an inch off your waist without gaining or losing any weight, and you'd look better and be healthier all the while.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Steel-cut oats. Eggs. Chicken. PB2. Squats. Deadlifts. Curls. Skullcrushers. Dumbbell lateral raises. Military press.

That's all you need.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Does anyone here drink muscle milk? i've had it for a few weeks. I've read it's not bad for you, either. Zero sugar in it, 20G protein. It's a little pricey, like almost $3 per bottle.

GNC_Total_Lean_Lean_Shake_Cookies_Cream_Protein_Powder.jpeg

This is what I drink. I get Vanilla, and the bottles that are already pre-made.

They're actually 25G of protein. Lactose free as well. It's like, 25% to 50% of all your daily needs in one drink. I love it. It's basically a meal replacement if you're trying to lose weight as well. It's got like 2% of your daily fat and only 150 calories I believe.

I've been taking Whey Protein, too. Found it's only $15.99 at Wal-Mart. Two scoops gets you 340 calories, 4% daily fat and 60G protein. Between that and a shake, I already get near 100G of protein.

Over the last 3 weeks, I got back into lifting and I've done this.

On days I can lift, I'll drink a shake, I'll eat one thing that is fattening, but will still give me protein, and make sure I get 2 scoops from the Whey Protein. Like, I'll get a plain sandwich from Primanti's when I'm out with work (JUST Steak and Cheese, NOTHING ELSE) and that has like 30G of fat, but it's also got high protein (I think 45G?) Right there, I'm already at 130G protein; which is already pretty good since I'm only 160 lbs myself.

Over these last couple weeks, I'm already seeing big results in my biceps, triceps and chest. I havn't gained weight (I make sure I lift and run off the grams of fat, so I never get near 65G a day) and I always drink water with meals. Nothing else.

Days I can't lift a lot, I end of eating a lot of chicken. I've tried to hold back on fattening food, so I cut back on things. However, If I am eating things fattening, I work off the Fat G's and get light workouts in if I don't go hard for the day.

Honestly can't remember when I ate Pizza last. I LOVE pizza, but my love for chicken has overtaken it now :amazed: That and my wife has made me steak ums or steak whenever she can :yo:

A few weeks back, I was going at 120 lbs for uncontrolled press (mind you, I'm a small dude; I'm more focused on staying in running shape for hockey) but I'm already up to 150. Starting to get results in my back as well. Here's what I generally do.

3 exercises of biceps. Minimum of 12-15 reps each set.
3 exercises of triceps. (See above)
3 exercises of shoulders.
3 exercises of chest.
3 exercises of abs.

I work in back lately, especially upper. I have to be careful, I have some shoulder damage right now. I usually focus on shoulders and back as "secondary" muscles. For example, if I go with a Vertical Press, I'm working my chest, but the secondary is my shoulders.

I get at least 60 minutes lifting, then spend 10 running (about 8 minute pace) then 10-15 on the stationary bike, or 15 minutes shooting hoops.

Any tips on losing stomach fat? Tips with underrated protein gaining foods that aren't fattening?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad