OT: The Workout Thread Part II - I do 3 sets of nutrition

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Keep it up :handclap:

I've lost 25 pounds in about 3 months, down to 205 which my goal was 200. Almost there but need to get a little bigger (chest and arms)

That's awesome! i'm at 202 right now. Now that i've found a new routine to work out i like it again (at night just before bed when i'm rested up). I'm not that commited, it's hard to find that level of commitment but i just do it anyway because it has to be done. Those 48 pounds were easy because i was pretty big and the bigger you are the more the fat melts off. I could have lost atleast 60 if i stayed commited the whole 2 months of round 1 but it's not a rush to the finish line but i want to be in shape by Christmas so i can start the new year in shape.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
That's awesome! i'm at 202 right now. Now that i've found a new routine to work out i like it again (at night just before bed when i'm rested up). I'm not that commited, it's hard to find that level of commitment but i just do it anyway because it has to be done. Those 48 pounds were easy because i was pretty big and the bigger you are the more the fat melts off. I could have lost atleast 60 if i stayed commited the whole 2 months of round 1 but it's not a rush to the finish line but i want to be in shape by Christmas so i can start the new year in shape.

That's awesome congrats as well. You can eat a little more for X-mas :)

I started off 5 years ago, after I got married I reached 270 pounds. That was a big no no. Wife got pregnant and I was really out of shape and wanted to change my eating and also getting back in shape. Went down to 220, 50 pounds in about a year and I've been around 220 and 230 for the past year until I decided to aim and be closer to 200. Joined the Gym 3 months ago and today I'm at 205. I'm 6'1 so I don't want to lose too much before getting bigger(chest arms) or people might think I'm dying or something. I've been really happy losing 65 pounds up to now from the time I started but it does take a lot of sacrifices and i'm my case ate a lot of salad during my lunch hours. Can't be happier and finally fit into what ever brand/designer then years ago I'd never imagine fitting into.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That's awesome congrats as well. You can eat a little more for X-mas :)

I started off 5 years ago, after I got married I reached 270 pounds. That was a big no no. Wife got pregnant and I was really out of shape and wanted to change my eating and also getting back in shape. Went down to 220, 50 pounds in about a year and I've been around 220 and 230 for the past year until I decided to aim and be closer to 200. Joined the Gym 3 months ago and today I'm at 205. I'm 6'1 so I don't want to lose too much before getting bigger(chest arms) or people might think I'm dying or something. I've been really happy losing 65 pounds up to now from the time I started but it does take a lot of sacrifices and i'm my case ate a lot of salad during my lunch hours. Can't be happier and finally fit into what ever brand/designer then years ago I'd never imagine fitting into.

Well keep it up, **** going back to that old life. It's dead, keep it that way!

Has anyone heard of the dolce diet? if so, is it any good? he is an elite nutritionist who helps with some of the UFC guys.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I went for a 5km run last night, did it in 24:33. I'm going again on Saturday with a friend from work, she runs a lot slower so I'll focus more on running further rather than speed.

Considering I haven't actually ran at all in the last 7 years I'm pretty happy how well my body is taking it. That was my 4th time jogging in the past 2 weeks since I started again, 2nd time jogging 5k.

Sh00terMcGavin

#Leadership
Jul 5, 2011
Pittsburgh
So basically over the past year I went from about 270 to 170, which I'm at currently. While I'm happy I'm down 100 pounds (eliminated a ton of health problems), I can't say I did it the right way; I watched what I ate but I practically never worked out. The problem I'm facing now is that while my waist, legs, buttocks (giggity), chest, etc. have gone down dramatically, I still have a pretty big belly. It may sound obvious, but is the solution to this just simply getting off my ass and exercising? I'm not saying I need a 6-pack, but I just want to have a relatively flat stomach (so I don't look like a proportional mess). Any advice?

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why not try some at home 15-20 minute exercises. Exercising doesn't mean going to the gym. Play a sport or do 15-20 minutes of stuff at home. Very natural/non-weighted workouts.

Push ups, pull ups, burpees, sit ups, and stretch. Make that a routine 2-3 days a week and then add some stuff, too. Maybe throw a sport in there to get cardio.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
When using weights use the kettlebells. Burpees, push-ups, pull-ups, kettlebells. Go for runs or hike up steep mountains or both.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I went for a 5km run last night, did it in 24:33. I'm going again on Saturday with a friend from work, she runs a lot slower so I'll focus more on running further rather than speed.

Considering I haven't actually ran at all in the last 7 years I'm pretty happy how well my body is taking it. That was my 4th time jogging in the past 2 weeks since I started again, 2nd time jogging 5k.

What shoes you wear? I'm thinking of getting toe shoes just because it looks cool.

Sh00terMcGavin

#Leadership
Jul 5, 2011
Pittsburgh
Why not try some at home 15-20 minute exercises. Exercising doesn't mean going to the gym. Play a sport or do 15-20 minutes of stuff at home. Very natural/non-weighted workouts.

Push ups, pull ups, burpees, sit ups, and stretch. Make that a routine 2-3 days a week and then add some stuff, too. Maybe throw a sport in there to get cardio.

When using weights use the kettlebells. Burpees, push-ups, pull-ups, kettlebells. Go for runs or hike up steep mountains or both.

Thanks for the advice boys. I'll be sure to update over the next couple of months.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Yeah, I used to be in terrible shape as well. I remember when I was fourteen years old, I was around 215 pounds. I think that I was 5'8" at that age. I started suffering from serious panic attacks. I thought I was suffering from a heart attack. So, I decided one day that I was done with being in poor shape, and I wanted to live a healthier life-style. I started eating less, and moving more. In the next three months, I lost around thirty pounds.

Now at seventeen years old, I am 190 pounds. I am currently 6'1" (I believe). But, I still wish to lose a little more weight. Or, maybe I could stay at the same weight, and add muscle.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah, I used to be in terrible shape as well. I remember when I was fourteen years old, I was around 215 pounds. I think that I was 5'8" at that age. I started suffering from serious panic attacks. I thought I was suffering from a heart attack. So, I decided one day that I was done with being in poor shape, and I wanted to live a healthier life-style. I started eating less, and moving more. In the next three months, I lost around thirty pounds.

Now at seventeen years old, I am 190 pounds. I am currently 6'1" (I believe). But, I still wish to lose a little more weight. Or, maybe I could stay at the same weight, and add muscle.

Wow that's some insane height reach in 3 years. I've been 5'10 since i was 13 years old and ****in hate it. I WISH I COULD GROW! 6'3-6'5 perhaps.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Wow that's some insane height reach in 3 years. I've been 5'10 since i was 13 years old and ****in hate it. I WISH I COULD GROW! 6'3-6'5 perhaps.

Damn, lol. I had a growth spurt last year. I do not come from a tall family. My father is 5'11", my mother is 5'3" (I think), and my sister is 5'5". I enjoy consuming a lot of dairy products, so that might have helped.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
So basically over the past year I went from about 270 to 170, which I'm at currently. While I'm happy I'm down 100 pounds (eliminated a ton of health problems), I can't say I did it the right way; I watched what I ate but I practically never worked out. The problem I'm facing now is that while my waist, legs, buttocks (giggity), chest, etc. have gone down dramatically, I still have a pretty big belly. It may sound obvious, but is the solution to this just simply getting off my ass and exercising? I'm not saying I need a 6-pack, but I just want to have a relatively flat stomach (so I don't look like a proportional mess). Any advice?

impressive to lose that much without doing exercise. You should be able to accomplish a lot once you add exercise into the mix.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
got these bad boys today. I don't do a lot of powerlifting, and I'm not gonna be a ****** and wear these when I do like regular BB type stuff, but looking forward to using them w/ front/back squats & deads.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Thinkin of giving up Insanity, P90X, those types of programs. I want to buy some kettlebells and find a routine using kettlebells, dumbells, jumpropes, maybe some battle ropes? the sledgehammer hitting a tire looks like it could be good.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Thinkin of giving up Insanity, P90X, those types of programs. I want to buy some kettlebells and find a routine using kettlebells, dumbells, jumpropes, maybe some battle ropes? the sledgehammer hitting a tire looks like it could be good.

The purpose of programs you listed is to put initiatively challenged folks to work, while bringing some $$$ to the program inventor's pocket, so if you have an idea what you want to do, just do it.

However, the reason I barged into this topic was to express my uttermost respect for your weapon of choice. Kettlebell is king! I do kettlebell as one part of the functional training to balance out the strength training with barbells and the funniest feeling is that a) you can feel aerobically totally destroyed after an intense kettlebell session and still b) notice DOMS in unexpected places the next day.

Last edited:

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
The best kettlebell workouts I had were simply doing KB swings using a 4-minute Tabata interval (20 sec on, 10 sec off). It would basically be 85-95 swings in 4 min. They were brutal. I need to bring those back in the mix during the off season.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
The best kettlebell workouts I had were simply doing KB swings using a 4-minute Tabata interval (20 sec on, 10 sec off). It would basically be 85-95 swings in 4 min. They were brutal. I need to bring those back in the mix during the off season.

Tabata in almost any form is brutal. To be honest, I haven't tried it with kettlebells yet, but could actually try it out of inspiration by your post. Doing burpees to Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill still stands as the longest 3 minutes 47 seconds of my life this far.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The purpose of programs you listed is to put initiatively challenged folks to work, while bringing some $$$ to the program inventor's pocket, so if you have an idea what you want to do, just do it.

However, the reason I barged into this topic was to express my uttermost respect for your weapon of choice. Kettlebell is king! I do kettlebell as one part of the functional training to balance out the strength training with barbells and the funniest feeling is that a) you can feel aerobically totally destroyed after an intense kettlebell session and still b) notice DOMS in unexpected places the next day.

Yeah it's basic workout, basic nutrition. I wanna do kettlebells because they look like fun and give you intense workouts. Thinking of looking up the ETK workbook which is enter the kettlebell, is follow Mike Dolce nutrition cookbook. Dolce is the nutritionist for the UFC.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Tabata in almost any form is brutal. To be honest, I haven't tried it with kettlebells yet, but could actually try it out of inspiration by your post. Doing burpees to Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill still stands as the longest 3 minutes 47 seconds of my life this far.

I think you will definitely like the KB swings. It activates a lot of functional muscles in your hamstrings/hips/(lower)back. Just remember to do them explosively. Using a heavy KB and getting every swing above your eyes helps to ensure that.

Burpees are great as well. I did them with a weighted vest last winter/spring and saw great results. Started out at 40 reps in 10 min and eventually got up to 90 in 10 with a 40lb vest. No Tabata, just did 4 reps/minute for 10 rounds. Worked my way up to 9/round. They were always hard.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
I think you will definitely like the KB swings. It activates a lot of functional muscles in your hamstrings/hips/(lower)back. Just remember to do them explosively. Using a heavy KB and getting every swing above your eyes helps to ensure that.

I've been doing 300-600 rep sessions on 16 kg (35 lbs) varying two-hand swings, one-hand swings, clean & presses, high pulls, low pulls and snatches in sets of 20, pacing myself just so that I'll be able to do every rep explosively.

The purpose of tabata is entirely different from that regime and I think I'll definitely try it, with only swings, like you said. For those, who are not familiar with tabata, it's most likely meant to be done perhaps once a week as it's as total as one exercise can go.

For 66-29-33, Enter the Kettlebell (if that's the book by that Russian guy Pavel Tsasouline) is a very good ground to start with the instrument. Good choice.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I just discovered a new protein powder that some of you may be interested in.

I won't do soy (estrogen). I can't do whey (intolerant for some reason). The vegan options I tasted were terrible. I had settled on rice - it didn't taste good but was more palatable than the vegan options.

I found one called Carnivor - it's a beef-based protein isolate. I got a jug of chocolate (2.3 lbs - $26). Tastes great and no reaction at all. It is well reviewed as well. I can't testify to specific results yet but it's got 24 grams of protein isolate for after workouts.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I'm thinking about picking up some protein powder. I've gotten pretty lean and like how I look and feel, now I just want to add a little extra bulk, maybe 10lbs or so. I do almost exclusively body weight exercises on my own, haven't been in a gym in a decade.

By May I want to be able to run 10km in 45 minutes and do 80 consecutive pushups (good form, I can do 59 right now). I would like to start squatting some serious weight and see what I can bench, maybe I should join a gym.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad