Speculation: The Wings are interested in Horvat

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
For millions of years, professional sports player unions fought hard and long for the right to free agency to increase players negotiating positions, because, oddly, it was thought that dealing with every team, instead of just one team was advantageous to the individual player.

That has seemingly suddenly changed now that Dylan Larkin is about to become a free agent. At least in the mind of one poster.

No further questions, your honor.
For millions of years? So when Australopithecus afarensis were barely figuring out how to walk upright there were sport leagues? And hate to break it to you but the NHLPA is probably the most ineffective sports union in North America and the last 3 CBAs have been very tilted towards ownership. The NHL requires the most years before a player can enter free agency, the lowest and most inflexible salary cap and a very stringent baseline player contract. But your lukewarm takes are hilarious.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
For millions of years? So when Australopithecus afarensis were barely figuring out how to walk upright there were sport leagues? And hate to break it to you but the NHLPA is probably the most ineffective sports union in North America and the last 3 CBAs have been very tilted towards ownership. The NHL requires the most years before a player can enter free agency, the lowest and most inflexible salary cap and a very stringent baseline player contract. But your lukewarm takes are hilarious.
So that's what Abdelkared was! :sarcasm:

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Would be nice, Only problem there are no guarantees he makes it to free agency.

So Allvin/Rutherford won't pay Horvat $8,000,000 but they'd pay Larkin $9,500,000+ I'd truly love to see that.
i dont know the numbers but i wouldnt be surprised if negotiations arent going well currently in both cases.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
hockey trade. larkin for horvat
Larkin would not go to that shit show of a team. The ownership, management and locker room are a mess and who knows who will be coaching in a week.

You really want Horvath via trade, prepare to give up one of Edvinsson or Kasper just to get talks started. The Rasmussen + Zadina + packages are laughable.

Reactions: taliababa

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You really want Horvath via trade, prepare to give up one of Edvinsson or Kasper just to get talks started. The Rasmussen + Zadina + packages are laughable.
There's a middle ground between Edvinsson/Kasper and Ras/Zadina.

The problem is that Canucks reportedly want young centers and RHD, two areas that we don't have many expandable players in. Even if we re-sign Larkin and bring in Horvat, Kasper is still very, very important to our long-term center depth.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Larkin would not go to that shit show of a team. The ownership, management and locker room are a mess and who knows who will be coaching in a week.

thats not what the canucks are looking for. they are not looking to rebuild according to their gm

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I just don't see how anything with Horvat makes sense without Larkin resign or Horvat coming back our way with an extension in place.

If you tell me we can get Horvat signed for around 8 and Larkin goes the other way resigned for 9-10 or whatever he wants, then sure! Can't see the Canucks not wanting to pay Horvat then down to pay more for Larkin though. Just my opinion.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

You're on the other side of the spectrum of wrong. We won't have to prepare for that as yzerman wouldn't do it without the guarantee of a long term extension. Vancouver won't let Horvat negotiate a long term extension before trade so giving up a real big asset like that won't happen. Yzerman would wait till the offseason or cut bait due to lack of worth.
I agree at the same time that many of the proposals are lacking, though.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If you made a Venn diagram of the players Yzerman was rumored to be interested in trading for while in Detroit, and the players he actually traded for - it would just be two circles with no overlap.
This is true. I'm not sure we're ever going to see Yzerman pull off the massive trade for the big name that some are hoping for; it hasn't been his style yet, and probably never will be.

I think Yzerman will probably keep making the more incremental trades like the ones we've seen (the Leddy deal, etc). As much as I'd love to see him pull off a Lindholm deal I'm not sure it's ever going to happen.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
This is true. I'm not sure we're ever going to see Yzerman pull off the massive trade for the big name that some are hoping for; it hasn't been his style yet, and probably never will be.

I think Yzerman will probably keep making the more incremental trades like the ones we've seen (the Leddy deal, etc). As much as I'd love to see him pull off a Lindholm deal I'm not sure it's ever going to happen.
Really? He pulled off some pretty big deals in Tampa:

- Drouin for Sergachev
- Namestnikov + 1st for McDonagh and Miller
- Conacher for Bishop
- St. Louis for Callahan

I believe TB was also in on Karlsson before he went to SJ.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

- Drouin for Sergachev
- Conacher for Bishop
- St. Louis for Callahan

Yeah, but so far here he's shown a different style. Maybe once we're contending it'll be different and we'll start trying to trade for more of the big fish.

I'm also not entirely convinced that these are serious discussions about trades, when we're shown to have interest, as they are simply our front office doing it's due diligence on these deals.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah, but so far here he's shown a different style. Maybe once we're contending it'll be different and we'll start trying to trade for more of the big fish.

I'm also not entirely convinced that these are serious discussions about trades, when we're shown to have interest, as they are simply our front office doing it's due diligence on these deals.
The Mantha trade was a pretty big move.

I think there's a lot of potential for fireworks in the next few months given the Larkin/Bertuzzi/Vrana situations.

I agree on the rumors though, I doubt there's much substance to any of these leaks.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

- Drouin for Sergachev
- Conacher for Bishop
- St. Louis for Callahan

Yeah most of those trades were obvious and predictable. Everyone knew St.Louis and Drouin were getting shipped. The McDonaugh trade was widely rumoured as well.

I guess it’s just more predictable what a contender needs to do/add and which players maybe don’t fit in.

Bottom feeders can go in So many different directions… making it a lot less obvious what will happen.

I’ve had a sense this Horvat thing has some legs. And I was getting that feeling last off-season… even before media started linking Wings. Mostly because I think Bo would be intigued by playing in Detroit. Whether it’s trade or later on in free agency, I could see Detroit being interested.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Yeah most of those trades were obvious and predictable. Everyone knew St.Louis and Drouin were getting shipped. The McDonaugh trade was widely rumoured as well.

I guess it’s just more predictable what a contender needs to do/add and which players maybe don’t fit in.

Bottom feeders can go in So many different directions… making it a lot less obvious what will happen.

I’ve had a sense this Horvat thing has some legs. And I was getting that feeling last off-season… even before media started linking Wings. Mostly because I think Bo would be intigued by playing in Detroit. Whether it’s trade or later on in free agency, I could see Detroit being interested.
There is an Athletic article on Horvat out there, Wings are listed as # 8 of 8 with them saying it ain't gonna happen, but they "inquired"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad