Speculation: The Wings are interested in Horvat

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Räty is viewed like McDavid+ by some around here.

Yeah... Aatu Räty reminds me a lot of.... Bo Horvat, how he plays.

We didn't have that styled/level of prospect, Kasper is better and has more potential, and not leaving. 1st would have been same valued with same protection, maybe put Fabbri there to be "beauvillier".

Same offer, but I would have never done that for pending UFA. If downgrading the Center prospect from Kasper to.... Niederbach... Canucks never makes the trade.

Think Vancouver did fine getting those assets and we did fine without pulling a stupid trade.

Lamoriello took a huge risk. But he is usually good with those.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah... Aatu Räty reminds me a lot of.... Bo Horvat, how he plays.

We didn't have that styled/level of prospect, Kasper is better and has more potential, and not leaving. 1st would have been same valued with same protection, maybe put Fabbri there to be "beauvillier".

Same offer, but I would have never done that for pending UFA. If downgrading the Center prospect from Kasper to.... Niederbach... Canucks never makes the trade.

Think Vancouver did fine getting those assets and we did fine without pulling a stupid trade.

Lamoriello took a huge risk. But he is usually good with those.
I'm guessing the 1st round pick was the dealbreaker. Can't see Yzerman risk losing an unprotected 2024 1st.
We probably were offering deals focused on some combination of Rasmussen/Veleno/Zadina and prospects/picks that do not include a 1st or Kasper/Edvinsson/Wallinder.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
With no contract extension in place (or apparently any contract talks at all), it's a pretty large price for a rental. But if you factor in that tampering is definitely rampant in the NHL, I'm sure Lou has an idea of Horvat's asking price, so Horvat not extending would be surprising.

That said, I just don't love this deal for either team. The Isles lock themselves even deeper into a contending window that might not be open anymore and essentially have to pay Horvat or else they will be the laughing stock of the league.

On the other hand, the Canucks got fine value for Horvat as a rental, but for some reason they didn't let teams discuss terms with Horvat's people. So even though they did "fine" they basically gave Horvat away for the lowest reasonable price. Alternatively they could have traded JT Miller for a king's ransom last year but here we are.... and they actually lost cap space for this upcoming year too. Only Raty returning to his pre-draft form and/or the draft pick becoming a high end player will see this deal remembered fondly in the future.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Only Raty returning to his pre-draft form and/or the draft pick becoming a high end player will see this deal remembered fondly in the future.
? His draft year was his only bad season. He was 1PPG in his D+1 season playing for Olli Jokinen, it was obviously a coaching issue.

That being said, he's probably in the AHL for another season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Don't really like this trade from the Canucks point of view solely on Beauvillier being the extra piece. Raty could be something maybe, but the 1st is mid to late, which very likely means a meh player at best, meaning something better than Beauvillier was necessary to make this a good trade.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I had read on a blog the Wings did offer their first, along with Bertuzzi and Zadina, obviously was turned down
Sounds like the blogger was reading HFBoards, lol. You should let him know that fan proposed offers aren't real. It's like those MOD: people that pop up every couple of months and post a trade proposal. This forum has absolutely no impact on what a GM does.

Vancouver has no use for Zadina and Bert. They specifically said they wanted a center or RHD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We didn’t land him. But Atleast we made our interest very public.

If he truly wants to play in Detroit. He knows an offer from The Wings will be waiting in Free Agency.
Maybe that was the end play because Stevie usually holds his card close to his chest.

Edit: So much for free agency, $8.5 x 8

I would have done that trade. Will be interesting to see if he can follow through on his career year now that he got his big paycheck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3