The Wiercioch is criminally underrated/Free Wiercioch Thread

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
OMG he made mistakes after sitting for how many games in a row...AHHHHHHHHHHH

PM better not bench him because he's more productive as a defender than Phillips by a million miles...he doesn't have to win many puck battles along the boards because he's able to move the puck to his teammates who are in a better position to get it out of the zone.

His outlets are outstanding and given time he'll learn to box people out and use his height to his advantage - he'll never be physical but he'll be very productive.

It seems this coaching staff is trying desperately to turn players into something they're not rather than utilizing their obvious strengths.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Did people not see him completely fumble the puck at the blueline on a PP which lead to a 2-on-1 going to the other way?

Yeah he got an assist right after but you guys are unbelievable: had that been Phillips you would be all over him

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
The difference is he hasn't played in how many games and is naturally going to fight nerves/jitters.

Christ if he makes one mistake the likelihood of him sitting goes through th roof...yet it's not the same for the dimwitted Cowen and certainly not the case for Phillips.

If anything Phillips should have less leeway than Patrick simply because he's a vet and is experienced.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Did people not see him completely fumble the puck at the blueline on a PP which lead to a 2-on-1 going to the other way?

Yeah he got an assist right after but you guys are unbelievable: had that been Phillips you would be all over him

and if he keeps doing that game after game then expect some posts about it. he's way better than phillips right now. end of story.

i get what the message is for him though. don't get stronger, don't play. so hopefully he comes back stronger next yr. and gets to play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Pucks will get bobbled from time to time for everyone, especially in florida. If it becomes a constant issue then I'll worry about it.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Wiercioch is a like Karlsson light. He is great offensively but makes mistakes defensively that catches up to him. The difference is Karlsson has the speed and stick abilities to make up for those. Patty, not so much.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Wiercioch is a like Karlsson light. He is great offensively but makes mistakes defensively that catches up to him. The difference is Karlsson has the speed and stick abilities to make up for those. Patty, not so much.

i don't think wier makes as many mistakes as karlsson. although karlsson has been better lately i think. pw just needs to get stronger and then probably play with a more defensive guy.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
i don't think wier makes as many mistakes as karlsson. although karlsson has been better lately i think. pw just needs to get stronger and then probably play with a more defensive guy.

You dont see him make as many mistakes because he rarely plays and when he does, his minutes are sheltered.

I watch at least 1-2 mistakes a game from him. He could out grow it, but I have a feeling he wont be doing the growing here.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Just before the MacArthur tip he fumbled the puck at the blue on the PP

He wasn't very good but the skill is there: he's probably worried as hell about making mistakes since he's played so little

Hopefully they let him play to close out the year so he can gain some confidence

PW is in good company because there isn't a Senators' D that hasn't committed that faux pas this season.

PW was fine, not sure what people expect from the guy.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I saw some good things from him and some bad. He played the 2-on-1 where Florida scored quite well. Slowed up the pass enough that Lehner could get across and have had a good chance to stop it.

The penalty in OT was a dive, but his stick shouldn't been up there. If he's turned it over, he should have forced the Panther into the boards like Methot would but his strength is questionable.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
You dont see him make as many mistakes because he rarely plays and when he does, his minutes are sheltered.

I watch at least 1-2 mistakes a game from him. He could out grow it, but I have a feeling he wont be doing the growing here.

Your right he will grow somewhere else and then people will say, I can't believe we let him go and kept Phillips. A guy that can move the puck like he does and still young at 24 yrs old still has room to grow mentally and physically where as someone like Phillips is at the end of his career and can only go down from here.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
yeah but good community guy + has played many games with the same team = wins = points = playoffs = cup
therefore Phillips > Wiercioch.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Won't surprise me if Wiercioch sits for the rest of the season. That penalty during OT was dumb to take.

I dont recall them sitting Turris when he did it. Far more on the line in that game as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Othello*

Play Weircioch the rest of the season let him develop and make mistakes

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Your right he will grow somewhere else and then people will say, I can't believe we let him go and kept Phillips. A guy that can move the puck like he does and still young at 24 yrs old still has room to grow mentally and physically where as someone like Phillips is at the end of his career and can only go down from here.

I don't think anyone currently wants to keep Phillips...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think anyone currently wants to keep Phillips...

its just odd that Phillips has weathered the storm of the past 5 years here in Ottawa while redden volchenkov chara mezsaros have all be thrown by the way side. not only that but keeps getting extended

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Have a feeling he's gonna get traded to fill a bigger need this summer. We have a logjam at D, even without him:

Phillips
Methot
Cowen
Borowiecki
Karlsson
Ceci
Gryba

And Claesson knocking. That's 7/8D and Murray's top priority this summer should be to add a top-four D... That's what, 8/9 D?

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
Have a feeling he's gonna get traded to fill a bigger need this summer. We have a logjam at D, even without him:

Phillips
Methot
Cowen
Borowiecki
Karlsson
Ceci
Gryba

And Claesson knocking. That's 7/8D and Murray's top priority this summer should be to add a top-four D... That's what, 8/9 D?

And some folks on the forum don't think the Phillips signing hurt us now, or will at any time in the future. If they trade Wier and keep Fruitlips, I'll be even more pissed off.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
And some folks on the forum don't think the Phillips signing hurt us now, or will at any time in the future. If they trade Wier and keep Fruitlips, I'll be even more pissed off.

Well, I heard people saying a team needs 8 NHL ready D at disposal just to compete so there is one more spot. Cleasson can stay in the AHL next year while Wier is scratched. There you go, Phillips can play now.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well, I heard people saying a team needs 8 NHL ready D at disposal just to compete so there is one more spot. Cleasson can stay in the AHL next year while Wier is scratched. There you go, Phillips can play now.

Phillips isn't good enough to be in our top 6. he has made mistakes this year that defenseman that are not ready for the NHL typically make. wiercioch makes less mistakes plus has offensive upside. Gryba makes less mistakes and is more physical. Cowen uh makes a lot of mistake but can improve. Ceci is flat out better than Phillips. none of us know how claessen will play so no comment. Borowiecki is better than Phillips.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Phillips isn't good enough to be in our top 6. he has made mistakes this year that defenseman that are not ready for the NHL typically make. wiercioch makes less mistakes plus has offensive upside. Gryba makes less mistakes and is more physical. Cowen uh makes a lot of mistake but can improve. Ceci is flat out better than Phillips. none of us know how claessen will play so no comment. Borowiecki is better than Phillips.

I know. Don't worry, I'm on the bashing/dumping Phillips train. But I still think he could be a useful 7th D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad