The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 5.0

Puzzles

nice sauce
Jun 22, 2012
Montreal
Hey everyone, a couple of friends and I are planning to go to a concert in mid-March at the Corona Theatre, the show is on a Sunday and I just wanted to pick your brains for like hotel recommendations, bars near by, stuff like that. Driving up from Long Island, thanks in advance.

Burgundy Lion, Drinkerie

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Making my annual trip in March for the game against Dallas on the 8th...the team better have pulled its head out of its collective ass by then.

I hope to see Price

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have guests coming in from France this August. Was hoping the 375th celebrations would be in full swing but they're only beginning in December.

The jazz fest would have been great were they coming earlier.

Now, I'm scrambling ... a day in Quebec city, a day in Ottawa, a day at the outlets ... and what else is usually going on in August in our city? No Habs. No Grand Prix. Might have to bring them to see the Impact. :sarcasm:

Any suggestions? I had a great time when I went to France for a week, they planned the whole week, saw sand dunes, chateaux and attended multiple wine tastings and an outdoor festival. These guests will be here for two weeks and likely living at my home. I need to plan.

Campoozmstnz

May 27, 2013
I'm planning on bringing my kids to an Armada game next week-end. Are rink side tickets a good thing or it's better to sit a little further to enjoy the game?

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
I'm planning on bringing my kids to an Armada game next week-end. Are rink side tickets a good thing or it's better to sit a little further to enjoy the game?

There's only 12 rows.
Sit at the top of a blue section, you will see the play develop a lot better.
If you plan on cheering for the Armada, choose one of sections 101, 102, 116 or 117.
If you are cheering for the opposition, choose one of sections 104, 105, 113 or 114.

Campoozmstnz

May 27, 2013
There's only 12 rows.
Sit at the top of a blue section, you will see the play develop a lot better.
If you plan on cheering for the Armada, choose one of sections 101, 102, 116 or 117.
If you are cheering for the opposition, choose one of sections 104, 105, 113 or 114.

Thx!:yo:

Skrudland

Registered Eweser
Apr 15, 2004
Ottawa
Hey guys! My wife and I are going to be in Montreal this weekend staying near Chinatown. Any suggestions for a Sunday brunch in that area or within walking distance? Also any thoughts on nice-but-not-too-fancy restaurants in the area? Thanks!

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Hey guys! My wife and I are going to be in Montreal this weekend staying near Chinatown. Any suggestions for a Sunday brunch in that area or within walking distance? Also any thoughts on nice-but-not-too-fancy restaurants in the area? Thanks!

Do you guys actually enjoy asian cuisine? If so, here are a few of my favorites

Dim Sum -> Kam Fung (1111 St-Urbain)

Dumplings (handmade) -> Qing Hua (1019 St-Laurent)

Vietnamese (best Pho) -> Pho Bac (1016 St-Laurent)

Korean -> Chez Bong (1021 St-Laurent)

Mind you none of these places can be considered "fancy", but they definitely give you a great bang for your buck.

FYI Pho Bac and Qing Hua are cash-only

Skrudland

Registered Eweser
Apr 15, 2004
Ottawa
Do you guys actually enjoy asian cuisine? If so, here are a few of my favorites

Dim Sum -> Kam Fung (1111 St-Urbain)

Dumplings (handmade) -> Qing Hua (1019 St-Laurent)

Vietnamese (best Pho) -> Pho Bac (1016 St-Laurent)

Korean -> Chez Bong (1021 St-Laurent)

Mind you none of these places can be considered "fancy", but they definitely give you a great bang for your buck.

FYI Pho Bac and Qing Hua are cash-only

We've been to Kam Fung before and would be going again but we're going to do a traditional brunch this time. We'll definitely give Pho Bac a try. Thanks!

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
We've been to Kam Fung before and would be going again but we're going to do a traditional brunch this time. We'll definitely give Pho Bac a try. Thanks!

Didn't know you were being literal about brunch :). In that case I don't really have anything to recommend in Chinatown... Sorry

Puzzles

nice sauce
Jun 22, 2012
Montreal

If you're thinking traditional brunch, you should walk down south to Vieux Port and check out places there. One of my favourites is Verses, which is attached to a hotel and it's pretty nice. If you're willing to travel a little further, one of my favourite 'hipster' brunch spots is Le Cartet. Alternatively, Cafe Parvis is a pretty unique hipster brunch experience, hidden away kind of near Place des Arts.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I like "L’Arrivage" restaurant (in the Pointe-à-Callière Museum. SW corner of the Old Port) for brunch. decent menu, fair prices, great view.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
gonna be in town for the March 8th game, pumped (it's my 12th time, wife's 2nd game, but she lived in mtl)

is chez swann a nice hotel? the name sounds skanky but it looks decent online, a bit smaller which is nice. booked real cheap there via hotwire

anyone have any good vegetarian restaurant suggestions? (for her)

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
gonna be in town for the March 8th game, pumped (it's my 12th time, wife's 2nd game, but she lived in mtl)

is chez swann a nice hotel? the name sounds skanky but it looks decent online, a bit smaller which is nice. booked real cheap there via hotwire

Hipster spot but very good food.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/le-cagibi-montréal-2

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
The older I get, the more I like Burgundy Lion. It's got some pretty damn good food, cocktails a decent beer selection and many, many scotches. I'm a fan.

Definitely going to check that one out, will probably bar hop around the Bell Centre on March 12th when I'm up there, since where I'm staying is real close, I'd love to actually get in to the Habs Wild game but I'm not made of money lol.

Puzzles

nice sauce
Jun 22, 2012
Montreal

ChuChai (mock meat place, good if you're a meat eater, http://www.yelp.ca/biz/chuchai-montréal-3)

Lola Rosa (http://www.yelp.ca/biz/lola-rosa-park-montréal)

Aux Vivres (http://www.yelp.ca/biz/aux-vivres-montréal-3)

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I have guests coming in from France this August. Was hoping the 375th celebrations would be in full swing but they're only beginning in December.

The jazz fest would have been great were they coming earlier.

Now, I'm scrambling ... a day in Quebec city, a day in Ottawa, a day at the outlets ... and what else is usually going on in August in our city? No Habs. No Grand Prix. Might have to bring them to see the Impact. :sarcasm:

Any suggestions? I had a great time when I went to France for a week, they planned the whole week, saw sand dunes, chateaux and attended multiple wine tastings and an outdoor festival. These guests will be here for two weeks and likely living at my home. I need to plan.

take them up north for a couple of days. lakes, forest, bonfires...

Skrudland

Registered Eweser
Apr 15, 2004
Ottawa
During our weekend excursion during the cold snap we ended up going to Deville Dinerbar, Restaurant Holder and Le Montréalais. Deville was a pretty fun spot and we were both quite impressed with the menu although my Old Fashioned had the faint odour of cleaning solution :/. Holder was a good, traditional place with a nice wine selection. Le Montréalais was a pretty standard brunch but good quality food at least. We would definitely hit up Deville again.

Puzzles

nice sauce
Jun 22, 2012
Montreal
During our weekend excursion during the cold snap we ended up going to Deville Dinerbar, Restaurant Holder and Le Montréalais. Deville was a pretty fun spot and we were both quite impressed with the menu although my Old Fashioned had the faint odour of cleaning solution :/. Holder was a good, traditional place with a nice wine selection. Le Montréalais was a pretty standard brunch but good quality food at least. We would definitely hit up Deville again.

The burgers at Deville are great. If you/your wife are into dessert next time get the Applie Pie Ice Cream Sandwich.

Montrealais is old person brunch, if you want something more gastronomique try Chez Sophie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad