The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 5.0

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I'll look into the trail for sure! I should've been more clear but I grew up in the West Island so a few of these spots are always pretty familiar.

Pre Claire village is nice but quite small . You can go about 10-15 min west of pre Claire village to St Anne de Bellevue and walk on a boardwalk.plenty of restaurants along side of the boardwalk.

Great trails in MTL. Im also from the West island but grew up in the East end. The poster mentioned some great trails
I've been to Cap St Jacques and Lanse a Lorne .. beautiful. Careful in the warmer months at Cap (ticks)..
Theres also Bois de Liesse ...very nice. Bois de nature in Il Bizard .. there's another place called Angell Woods (private land) trail is little rougher since not owned by the city.
I have a husky so I take him to these places

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
For my birthday, my adorable wife surprised me with a trip to Montreal that includes tickets to the Boston game. I haven't seen the Habs play in Montreal since 1976-77 (GOAT, of course).

Can anyone recommend places for vegan food?

Scottish Hab

Mar 2, 2018
Glasgow
Heading over this weekend for the Boston game on Monday, anything unique going on in the city for the festive season worth a look? Xmas markets etc. Cheers

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Heading over this weekend for the Boston game on Monday, anything unique going on in the city for the festive season worth a look? Xmas markets etc. Cheers
Ste-Catherine street is the major shopping, restaurant venue, with many of the attractions between Guy St. and St-Laurent Blvd. Mont-Royal Ave. is another pretty good action filled place in a more French area. Or you could spend hours if not days wandering the underground part of the city, away from the cold.

MTLstandup

Jan 3, 2014
Hi,
I apologize in advance as it probably was asked before but I am lacking time to do a big research.

I am from Gatineau and did not visit Montreal for the last 3 years. I bought tickets for a game late March. My wife is a foodie and we are looking for a good food experience before the game (Saturday 7pm).
It does not need to be top 100 canada restaurant but it needs to stand out at some degree wheter it’s italian/korean/burgers/tacos.... by it’s food and the restaurant itself and ideally be close to the Bell centre.

Thanks

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
Hi,
I apologize in advance as it probably was asked before but I am lacking time to do a big research.

I am from Gatineau and did not visit Montreal for the last 3 years. I bought tickets for a game late March. My wife is a foodie and we are looking for a good food experience before the game (Saturday 7pm).
It does not need to be top 100 canada restaurant but it needs to stand out at some degree wheter it’s italian/korean/burgers/tacos.... by it’s food and the restaurant itself and ideally be close to the Bell centre.

Thanks

I'd recommend Escondite on Drummond. Mexican. Only downside is they seem to open only at 5:30, but it's right by the Centre Bell.

Reactions: MTLstandup

MTLstandup

Jan 3, 2014
I'd recommend Escondite on Drummond. Mexican. Only downside is they seem to open only at 5:30, but it's right by the Centre Bell.

Thanks for the suggestion ! We just looked at the menu and it’s very interesting. Even though it opens on the late side, tacos or tapas should be ate pretty fast and if it’s close to Bell Centre, it shouldn’t be a problem.

... And I don’t have anything against finishing my food craving with a poutine at La Banquise or a pizza somewhere late night !

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hey all!
I am coming to Montreal this weekend with the family. My boys are visiting the Shriners Hospital for a consultation. We have 3 days to spend there, and I am looking for some cheaper things to do with the kids (age 4 and 6). I thought about tobogganing, indoor swimming/water park, english movie theatre, and maybe an indoor playground? Any suggestions for those things?

Or any other suggestions for kids activities and kid friendly restaurants? We are staying at the Courtyard Marriott the first night, and La Tour Belvedere hotel the next 2 nights.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Hey all!
I am coming to Montreal this weekend with the family. My boys are visiting the Shriners Hospital for a consultation. We have 3 days to spend there, and I am looking for some cheaper things to do with the kids (age 4 and 6). I thought about tobogganing, indoor swimming/water park, english movie theatre, and maybe an indoor playground? Any suggestions for those things?

Or any other suggestions for kids activities and kid friendly restaurants? We are staying at the Courtyard Marriott the first night, and La Tour Belvedere hotel the next 2 nights.

I don't know about the rest but for movie theatres:

You have the AMC forum very close from Belvedere hotel although it doesn't always play the newest(popular) movies. The Scotia Bank theatre near Peel would be the next best option.

I have honestly no idea where you'd find some of those other activities in downtown Montreal but I'm not a parent so I wouldn't know.

Hope you get good news with the consultation, cheers.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Hey all!

Head to the mountain(Mt.Royal) for tobogganing, all movie theaters downtown have english movies, 1000 LaGauchetiere has an indoor skating rink, real nice and they rent skates.

Atrium Le 1000

8 Best Places in Montreal for Winter Sledding

Reactions: Hawkaholic

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
Hey all!

The centre des sciences by the old port is always a big winner for kids.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I'm planning a trip to Montreal from Phoenix for the playoffs with my two kiddos age 12/14. What is the best way to obtain playoff tickets? And where would you recommend staying at in Montreal we will have a couple of days.
thanks.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Sabres fan thinking of visiting Montreal next weekend. I plan on skiing Mt Tremblant and maybe catching a game. I also think it might be fun to just watch the game at an establishment.

My only question is how up to date is the OP?

ABR8185

Jul 5, 2016
Hey fellas, what are the best public golf courses in the Montreal area? Still a couple months away from getting the clubs out, but still interested what some experienced golfers have to say about the courses in MTL. Thanks.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Leafs Fan coming in peace.

We have planned to go to Montreal for a friend's Bachelor party in June.

Can anyone give me some information on what area we should stay, where we should go out, what festivals or events are in June, where to avoid etc. ?

Edit: Lshap already let me know to warn the Police Leafs fans will be entering the city and to contact my lawyer and Insurance company beforehand lol

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm planning a trip to Montreal from Phoenix for the playoffs with my two kiddos age 12/14. What is the best way to obtain playoff tickets? And where would you recommend staying at in Montreal we will have a couple of days.
thanks.
First of all, thanks for the positive vibe that Montreal will be in the playoffs! Playoff tickets are mostly grabbed up by season-ticket holders. Odds are you'll find what's left through the resale market online or, if you're feeling adventurous, scalpers around the Bell Centre on game-day. As you can imagine, playoff tickets in this market are a real commodity and not cheap.

Accommodations can be anywhere if you have a car. Aside from rush hour, commuting isn't too bad. If you're close to a Metro station (subway) and don't mind public transit you could get almost anywhere and avoid parking issues. That said, staying downtown is always cool and closer to where you'd probably be going, but it's also more expensive.

Reactions: azcanuck

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Sabres fan thinking of visiting Montreal next weekend. I plan on skiing Mt Tremblant and maybe catching a game. I also think it might be fun to just watch the game at an establishment.

My only question is how up to date is the OP?
Most of the OP was copy-pasted from an older OP. Most of the restaurants & bars are still around, but I'm not 100% sure. Obviously, many outdoor activities like amusement parks won't be open in early March.

There are plenty of nice sports bars to watch the game. You could also go to nicer restaurants and watch in the bar area, which is what my wife and I do often. Most places in the city have a string of TVs behind the bar showing the hockey game.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I'm going to be in Montreal this May for my cousin's wedding. It will be my first time back in Montreal since I was a young child. How well will I fare in the metro area with basic conversational French? Do most people/businesses speak English? Will they give me dirty looks?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'm going to be in Montreal this May for my cousin's wedding. It will be my first time back in Montreal since I was a young child. How well will I fare in the metro area with basic conversational French? Do most people/businesses speak English? Will they give me dirty looks?
Just bring a supply of Nanaimo bars and you'll be OK. :laugh:

Seriously, you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I'll be in Montreal 3/10-13. Staying downtown walking distance from the arena. Looking for recommendations for sports cards and used books stores. Ideally downtown or accessible via subway.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Wow, I dont want to quote the OP since that's a while back but thanks a lot. I've been in Montreal for concerts and around it (Laval and Bromont) but now that my gf and I are going I was looking for something in particular to do since shes never been.

Cheers again OP for the damn good effort put in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad