The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 5.0

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I am coming to Montreal for either Feb. 10th, Nashville game or 26th Flyers game. Anybody have any tips best hotel to stay, good seats and other things to take in while in Montreal?
Check out the 1st post in this thread for details on everything. If you're coming mid-winter, probably best to stay near the downtown core to minimize commuting.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Check out the 1st post in this thread for details on everything. If you're coming mid-winter, probably best to stay near the downtown core to minimize commuting.
Habs having so-so season....on Flyers 20th of Feb. game...where could I get best seats? Scalpers I imagine as many seats not occupied

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Habs having so-so season....on Flyers 20th of Feb. game...where could I get best seats? Scalpers I imagine as many seats not occupied
There are always plenty of scalpers outside the Bell Centre. I've never bought from them, but if you're willing to negotiate and gamble you might score a last-minute deal. There's a definite dip in fan motivation this season, therefore more tickets are being resold at a discount.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Hello Habs fans. My wife and I are coming up for the game next Saturday and are looking for advice on Sunday activities. It seems there are several spots in the city to cross-country ski and outdoor skate. Which places do people prefer? Other suggestions for must-do winter activities are also greatly appreciated, as I've only visited in the summer. Merci, et bonne chance Samedi prochain.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is the second in a series on where visiting hockey fans can get comfort food when traveling to another city to cheer on their team. Last month we took a look at Buffalo, NY.

Montréal has an excellent public transportation network of subway (Metro) and buses and Uber is a popular option. The 24 hour unlimited transit pass is a fine value.

Montréal is famous for its smoked meat sandwiches and locals fiercely debate where you can get the best sandwich. Here are my personal favorites.

Schwartz's (Charcuterie Hebraique de Montréal) 3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard - (514) 842-4813 CASH ONLY - is the best known and it can get very crowded on weekends Celine Dion is one of the owners.
jCsmJgN.png

fP52DZ8.png

They also serve poutine there but I would go with the smoked meat. We will discuss poutine options later.

Directly across the street is their biggest rival, the Main Deli Steak House, 3864 Saint Laurent Boulevard ( 514-843-8126) Accepts credit and debit cards - is the preferred choice of many locals.

xeleWW9.png

8Fo3Wft.png

Lester's Deli, 1057 Avenue Bernard, Outremont (514 213-1313 Accepts credit and debit cards) is a personal favorite but is a little further away from downtown and closes at 9 PM and all day Sunday

q5dGwlH.png

XlpeIoF.png

Dunn's Famous,1249 Rue Metcalfe (514-395-1927 - Accepts credit, debit cards) is the closest to Centre Bell and never closes but I have found it to be inconsistent compared to the other 3 places mentioned.

VVmUMsE.png

spGkE7r.png

POUTINE

It seems every fast food place in the city offers poutine in one form or another. Here are two places that locals have told me about.

La Banquise,994 rue Rachel Est (514 525 2415 - Accepts credit and debit cards - Open 24 hours ) can offer you poutine in its most basic form or exotic creations you would never dream of.

xeFOT4J.png

W1E2ayA.png

RSg5dLV.png

Poutineville, 1365 Ontario Est ( 514-419-5444 - Accepts credit and debit cards ) To name your restaurant with the word poutine in Montreal you have to be very confident in your product.

lqpmZiK.png

oMTvQ7O.png

BREAKFAST

I am only writing about one location as it is the only place I will go for breakfast in Montréal.

Beauty's Luncheonette, 93 Avenue du Mont-Royal Ouest (514-849-8883 - Accepts credit and debit cards- Open until 3 during the week, 4 PM weekends ) If you want to get a feel for what it is like to live in Montréal go here,

kTt6O91.png

uDlrvoH.png

These are my recommendations after many years of going to Montréal for Bruins games. I'm sure the locals from the Canadiens board will offer more suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just a heads up for Montrealers... Rogers Hometown Hockey will be in town from Mar 31 - Apr 1.

Mar 31 - Apr 1 Montréal, QC Place Des Festivals, Rue Jeanne-Mance, 175 Rue Sainte-Catherine, Montréal, QC H2X 1Y9

Rogers Hometown Hockey

Won't post a bunch of marketing stuff here as there's plenty of it, but for those of you with kids or if you're still a kid at heart, there's a lot of activities and freebies to be had.

Since I'm from the GTA, for my Ontario-based homies, they are also rolling into various towns starting a little after mid-February:

Feb 24 - 25 Belleville, ON City Hall, 169 Front St, Downtown Belleville, ON K8N 2Y8
Mar 3 - 4 Markham, ON Markham Centre, 179 Enterprise Blvd, Markham ON, L6G 0E7
Mar 10 -11 Brampton, ON Garden Square, 12 Main St N, Brampton, ON L6V 1N6
Mar 17 - 18 Cornwall, ON Cornwall Civic Complex, 100 Water St E, Cornwall, ON K6H 6G4

Reactions: ArsHabs

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Two questions:

1. What do you guys say is the best pizza place in mtl; and

2. Best record store to buy vinyl?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Two questions:

1. What do you guys say is the best pizza place in mtl; and

2. Best record store to buy vinyl?

Aux 33 tour for the vinyls. My buddy works there and it's a really nice spot
1373 Mont- Royal Est

For the pizza it gets tricky there's a lot of em :huh:

Reactions: Shabs

Dirk Kuyt

Feb 7, 2018
NJ
Greetings Habs fans.

I'm a New Yorker traveling up for the Habs-Rangers game next Thursday. This thread has been very helpful in planning my trip for the weekend.

I have one question in particular that I was hoping that someone may be able to help me with. I'm a big Liverpool supporter. They happen to be playing Saturday morning at 10 AM. I was wondering if there are any good soccer bars that would be open at that time for the morning Premier League games.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Greetings Habs fans.

I'm a New Yorker traveling up for the Habs-Rangers game next Thursday. This thread has been very helpful in planning my trip for the weekend.

I have one question in particular that I was hoping that someone may be able to help me with. I'm a big Liverpool supporter. They happen to be playing Saturday morning at 10 AM. I was wondering if there are any good soccer bars that would be open at that time for the morning Premier League games.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Burgundy Lion seems to be very popuar spot to watch football. Looks like it opens at 9:30 Sat.

Dirk Kuyt

Feb 7, 2018
NJ
Burgundy Lion seems to be very popuar spot to watch football. Looks like it opens at 9:30 Sat.

It definitely seems as though that would be the best place to catch a match. I'll be heading there for sure. I appreciate the recommendation.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Not sure this is the right thread, but where can we sell Hockey Cards?

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
I am going to be in Montreal this week, Tuesday thru Saturday. I have been a few times and am looking forward to returning, but I do have one question I don't know the answer to:

Does anyone know of any bars to watch the NCAA Tournament? Would this be commonly on at sports bars regardless? Specifically, my school (West Virginia University) plays Friday, so I need somewhere to watch the game. I don't want to, but if nowhere has it, I guess I will order room service and watch in my room on my laptop. I see TSN has the broadcast rights to the tournament in general, so I hope they have the game.

I called Peel Pub and the guy seemed unsure but said it would be on, so I planned on going there, unless someone thinks this is unwise.

Thanks for any help and have a great day.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
For those interested, the Irish Embassy went up in flames this morning - well established fixture on Bishop's for watching games

I am going to be in Montreal this week, Tuesday thru Saturday. I have been a few times and am looking forward to returning, but I do have one question I don't know the answer to:

Does anyone know of any bars to watch the NCAA Tournament? Would this be commonly on at sports bars regardless? Specifically, my school (West Virginia University) plays Friday, so I need somewhere to watch the game. I don't want to, but if nowhere has it, I guess I will order room service and watch in my room on my laptop. I see TSN has the broadcast rights to the tournament in general, so I hope they have the game.

I called Peel Pub and the guy seemed unsure but said it would be on, so I planned on going there, unless someone thinks this is unwise.

Thanks for any help and have a great day.

Peel pub or Maclean's have traditionally had March Madness stuff on. If the guy on the phone didn't know maybe it was that you didn't refer to the tourny's nickname?

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Lots of activities to do in MTL I can see! Definitely on my bucket list for future travels, it's like a very beautiful city with amazing people! I now have to practice French before going there! Merci!

Reactions: Electricity

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Bruins fan in peace

Visiting MTL with the girlfriend for my first time since I was a child. Really have no plan. We live close by so we figured why not. We will be going mid May.

Looking for any broad recommendations that I can get.

- What’s a good neighborhood/area to rent an place in? We are in our mid 20’s so preferably somewhere with walking distance to bars and other attractions like that
- Good bar to watch a hockey game in?
- Any good restaurant or place to visit? Breweries?

Appreciate any help I can get

shello

Mar 5, 2011
Dana Point, CA
Hey guys. coming back to Montreal and the West Island for the summer. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any cool under the radar spots for photos... or really anything fun/different to do in the West Island

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Hey guys. coming back to Montreal and the West Island for the summer. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any cool under the radar spots for photos... or really anything fun/different to do in the West Island
Eco Museum in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue.

Ecomuseum - A zoo in montreal - Zoo Ecomuseum

Also, the village itself is really nice waterfront.

Then there's the park at l'anse a l'orme, also very nice.

Anse-à-l’Orme Nature Park — Ville de Montréal Nature Parks

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Headed to Montreal in mid September for an Als-Lions game. Should I get tickets now or should I wait until around that time because the team will probably be very bad (but to be honest the whole East is probably going to be bad, my TiCats included) and the secondary market will be a buyer's one? Also have to factor in the exchange rate right now is very favorable, next time I'm in NY I may get a few hundred Canadian for the trip at a currency place because of that. Next day I am going to Fenway to see my Mets play the Sox so it's going to be quite the trip.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
My wife surprised me yesterday with some Jamaican feast from Lloyde's.

It brought tears to my eyes. That jerk chicken and those fried plantains brought me back to my honeymoon at the Grand Palladium lady hamilton in Montego Bay.

Definitely a must for those that like Caribbean flavors.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Pointe-Claire village is very nice in the evening. A couple of good restaurants, an ice cream parlor and beautiful view of the lake.
Also Cap-St-Jacques, l'Anse-a-l'Orme trail, Ecomuseum

Reactions: shello

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->