The 'What About Svech?' Thread

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Evgeny Svechnikov, 23, has to be wondering where he stands in the Wings organization.
He was called up and sat in the pressbox, with Blashill saying something like, "He's a pro. He can handle not playing."
And after a few games - when he played less minutes than Givani Smith, he was demoted to Grand Rapids.

I came into this season with hopes Svechnikov could establish himself as a legit top 9 powerforward.
He's got size. He can work the boards and the net front. He's got good hands, stickhandling ability and passing ability.
His main issue is skating. And major knee surgery didn't help him.

So in the last few months, Yzerman has made a few moves that lead me to believe he doesn't see Svechnikov as a legit top 9 forward anytime in the near future.

* Traded for Adam Erne, 23-year-old winger.
* Kept Taro Hirose, 23-year-old winger, in the NHL over Svech.
* Traded for Brendan Perlini, 23-year-old winger.
* Traded for Robbie Fabbri, 23-year-old winger.

Keep in mind that AA is 25. Mantha is 25. Bertuzzi is 24. Other prospects like Rasmussen, 20, Zadina, 19, and Smith, 21, could also be on that way in the next 12 months.

Svechnikov's demise is partly his own doing. After a very good freshman year, he stepped backwards in his sophomore AHL campaign.
And then, just when he needed to reassert himself, he blew up his knee and missed the season.

But I thought he'd done enough in exhibition season to earn a spot on the team.
Preseason leading scorers"
Svech 2-2-4 in 53 minutes
Hirose 1-3-4 in 103 minutes
Veleno 0-3-3 in 88 minutes
Erne 0-2-2 in 80 minutes.
Ras 2-0-2 in 100 minutes
Smith 1-1-2 in 62 minutes
Zadina 0-1-1 in 91 minutes

But what about his callup? Zero points. -1. 2 PIM.
Nothing special in 8:20 a night.
How about the underlying numbers?
CF%
Svech 49.09
Perlini 41.43
Hirose 45.27
Erne 45.0

Individual Shots/60
Svech 13,91
Perlini 9.31
Erne 7.92
Hirose 3.55

The numbers match what I saw with my own eyes.
Svech, more than these other guys, has the ability to get the puck on net.

I hope Yzerman hasn't given up on Svech.
But if he has, I hope he finds away to get value for him.
Because he's a top 9 forward, in my book. He's got the hands, the size and skill and IQ.
They're good enough to make up for his skating issues.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If Yzerman can somehow trade one of Abby, Helm, Nielsen, I would like to see the following...

BLM
Hirose-Fabbri-AA
Perlini-Flip-Svech
guy-LGD-guy

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I feel like we're buying time and letting him develop in GR with our other young studs. He has looked great, I would have loved to see him on the second line this year. It's clear to see that Erne and Perlini aren't half the player Svech was when he was up. Hopefully Stevie isn't blind.
Appreciate the research and stats tho!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's a long season. Svech missed a lot of hockey and clearly Blash isn't ready to give him "real" minutes. So he's better off getting in games in the AHL. He's our property and is waiver exempt so there's no rush.
I think Yzerman is in "throw sh*t at the wall and see what sticks"-mode. Svechnikov will likely get more chances.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Only thing about Svech I've noticed more than anything is the guy goes to the ice an awful lot. And usually in odd looking ways. But I don't watch any Griffins hockey. This is just from 8 minutes a night thru 4 games. Those of you who watch GR, is it the same? I'm wondering if he's trying to ramp up his game and the knee truly isn't there yet. Or is it just his style of play?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Only thing about Svech I've noticed more than anything is the guy goes to the ice an awful lot. And usually in odd looking ways. But I don't watch any Griffins hockey. This is just from 8 minutes a night thru 4 games. Those of you who watch GR, is it the same? I'm wondering if he's trying to ramp up his game and the knee truly isn't there yet. Or is it just his style of play?
Larkin used to do that a lot. Ice time should help with that.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
he showed that he has NHL top 6 potential, in my opinion ( not just on the embarrassing red wings). I really like him, seems to be an awesome guy and i like him as a player a lot. Big and tough, but skilled. I think he'll be up at one point during the season, getting more minutes, and staying with the big club for good. He is too talented.

Reactions: LazyT

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
he showed that he has NHL top 6 potential, in my opinion ( not just on the embarrassing red wings). I really like him, seems to be an awesome guy and i like him as a player a lot. Big and tough, but skilled. I think he'll be up at one point during the season, getting more minutes, and staying with the big club for good. He is too talented.

He's going to have to round out his game. Being a one trick top 6er in the NHL means you need to be really good at that trick. There's a lot to like, and you listed all of it, but I can see where the reservations from the Wings rest when it comes to putting him out there on the current team.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I don't think they've given up on him. I think they believe it's better for his development if he plays in Grand Rapids right now.

Also, you keep acting as if Svechnikov is in the same phase of his career as guys like Perlini and Fabbri. You can argue about their potential, what these players will be like 5 years from now. But as of right now Perlini has actual NHL seasons of production such as 17-13-30, 14-7-21 and Fabbri has actual NHL seasons of production such as 18-19-37 and 11-18-29. Svechnikov does not yet.

Edited to correct my Perlini stat lines.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I think top 6 potential has passed both Svechnikov and Fabbri for the time being. But they do have top 6 acumen, along with life experience that has made them mature beyond their years.

In a cap world, we have a couple guys in the wings now, that could really be outperforming their role and paygrade in the future, as well as helping to set a standard for resilience and professionalism within the player base.

Svechnikov is a special player and person imo. I don't subscribe to the idea that he is anywhere near being phased out. He's going to be like Brent Gilchrist/Doug Brown infused with tiger blood imo.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What about him?

he is a developing prospect coming off a significant injury while playing a significant role in a developmental league. Not much to see here to be honest

This is the right answer. Hes 2 seasons removed from playing good hockey. 2 years ago he was bad until the last 15 games of the year, took a lot of bad penalties too. Last year he missed the entire season. This thread is overreaction considering we're a month into the season. Theyre letting him get his strength and hockey legs back in Grand Rapids, with the rest of the future young core.

They dont want to screw up Svechnikov by having him in the NHL where no one besides Larkin, Mantha and Bertuzzi score. They want him scoring in a lower league to build confidence back. Guys like Perlini and Fabbri they care less about screwing up because theyre other teams first rounders who they got for low ball prices.

Svech will get NHL time this year, theres lots of season left and a trade deadline that by the looks of Yzerman now will be pretty active.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Eh, Yzerman clearly doesn't care about icing the best possible NHL team right now. Which is the correct approach. He wants Svech to develop and be ready for next year. If he does that better with more important minutes in the AHL then so be it. There's no reason to rush him.

The most bizarre thing to me was getting called up only to be a healthy scratch. Not sure how that helped anyone. Maybe he needed the money?

I dunno, the most important thing is what's being told to Svech behind closed doors, and we aren't going to be privy to that so whatever.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This is the right answer. Hes 2 seasons removed from playing good hockey. 2 years ago he was bad until the last 15 games of the year, took a lot of bad penalties too. Last year he missed the entire season. This thread is overreaction considering we're a month into the season. Theyre letting him get his strength and hockey legs back in Grand Rapids, with the rest of the future young core.

They dont want to screw up Svechnikov by having him in the NHL where no one besides Larkin, Mantha and Bertuzzi score. They want him scoring in a lower league to build confidence back. Guys like Perlini and Fabbri they care less about screwing up because theyre other teams first rounders who they got for low ball prices.

Svech will get NHL time this year, theres lots of season left and a trade deadline that by the looks of Yzerman now will be pretty active.

In just a few shifts with AA... he showed the ability to help that line create offense.
So I don't buy it.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
In just a few shifts with AA... he showed the ability to help that line create offense.
So I don't buy it.

What does this have to do with what the experts in long term/sustainable rehabilitation of recent severe injuries would have to say?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Svech is an RFA, just like: Erne/Hirose/Fabbri/Perlini/Ehn etc. So he's getting his strength/conditioning/confidence back with our younger core in GR...he'll be back. SY will move some more bodies @ TDL, probably some even before, he's not Holland.

upload_2019-11-7_13-37-44.png

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Why not say the same about Rasmussen? I mean he was up here all last year, didn't get injured and can't make the roster this year? If you're going to bag on Svech then where's the "What about Rasmussen?" thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad