The 'What About Svech?' Thread

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don't believe this is accurate. If he was 100% for the past 2 years, he wouldn't be having/have had any trouble playing his way into the lineup, imo. We don't have enough valuable forwards for his waiver status to be a priority.

He'll replace a replaceable player, when he's up to speed and fully on track, imo.

It's more that it prevents it from being a difficult decision. If I know I can keep Evgeny in the AHL getting stronger while rehabbing against a lower level of talent AND I can cycle in a bunch of reclamation projects to maybe hit a homerun, I'll do it. If I had to worry about losing Svechnikov by picking up Erne, Perlini, and Fabbri, it would give me more pause. But if I can keep Svech and let him play himself into shape to replace one of those replaceable guys... AND I can freely use excess assets to pick up guys who could be a lucky scratchy lottery ticket, then I'm all for that. I would say that Svech's waiver status is very relevant.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
It's more that it prevents it from being a difficult decision. If I know I can keep Evgeny in the AHL getting stronger while rehabbing against a lower level of talent AND I can cycle in a bunch of reclamation projects to maybe hit a homerun, I'll do it. If I had to worry about losing Svechnikov by picking up Erne, Perlini, and Fabbri, it would give me more pause. But if I can keep Svech and let him play himself into shape to replace one of those replaceable guys... AND I can freely use excess assets to pick up guys who could be a lucky scratchy lottery ticket, then I'm all for that. I would say that Svech's waiver status is very relevant.

It's a relevant consideration and variable, I absolutely agree. I just don't think it is the determining factor in the context of how this conversation has been framed, however.

In other words, if the team was further along in it's development, and Svech's knee was further along in recovery, his waiver status wouldn't matter, because the gains you would get in his development at the NHL level would more than offset the loss in whatever asset that would get pushed down the line.

I think in this case, Svech was up on a terrible team, accounted well enough for himself from a WinsAboveReplacement perspective, but the org asked the question "what would we/he have to gain, by playing in this environment in this condition?" The answer would be way more complicated if he wasn't waiver exempt, for sure, but I don't think it is the reason he is in GR and not DET right now.

If you are of the opinion that he's more or less as recovered as he's going to get, and he's been downgraded as a prospect overall, and so his development is taking a back seat to other mechanations in the organization, I don't think that's unreasonable, I'm just not ready to make that determination about him yet.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
This is weird. I feel like he deserves to play. Hopefully he gets PP time and extended minutes on his next call up. At a certain point we need to see if he can hang in the NHL...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Holland would be keeping Svechnikov down, people would riot in here. :)

Funny how these "dumb" and "moronic" moves are now smart, when Yzerman does exactly same.
I don't think it's smart at all, but I'm not gonna riot over it regardless of who the GM is.

I'm more bothered by having to watch Hirose get run over every game.

Reactions: hkydave04

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think it's smart at all, but I'm not gonna riot over it regardless of who the GM is.

I'm more bothered by having to watch Hirose get run over every game.

Hirose is now scratched and Fabbri was great. I think it doesn't take long when Hirose goes down and Svechnikov comes up.

Ehn and Hirose are waiver-exempt, Ehn is needed for the center position, but winger swap between Hirose <> Svechnikov should be realistic now.

Caffeine

Apr 27, 2017
Petrozavodsk
I think Svech should take Ernes spot and then we could have 3rd line such as Perlini Nielsen Svech. Erne has been among our worst forwards so far and he shouldn't be gifted top 9 spot based on his time in Tampa. Erne healthy scratch and Hirose goes down.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hirose is now scratched and Fabbri was great. I think it doesn't take long when Hirose goes down and Svechnikov comes up.

Ehn and Hirose are waiver-exempt, Ehn is needed for the center position, but winger swap between Hirose <> Svechnikov should be realistic now.
If I understand the waivers rule correctly, Ehn only has 9 more games before his exemption runs out. I don't see any team picking him up either way, he's a complete offensive black hole. He's a strong kid though, it's just too bad Hirose isn't built like that. Ehn really should be in the AHL to work on his offense.

I watched the whole game last night, Hirose is getting sent down as soon as LGD comes back. The PP looked so much better without him, nice clean passes, and set up for a shooter in the slot instead of the blue line. Exactly the change I wanted to see in the PP.

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad