The Werenski Dream is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Also, and this is straight Michigan Homer talk, I’m kinda pissed at University of Michigan boy Werenski here. f***ing any city but Columbus. Why did it have to be Columbus?

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, I think he would have been in favor of coming back here… but when you’ve got leverage, you use the hell out of that leverage. He and his agent knew he had Columbus bent over a barrel. They almost had to pay him whatever he wanted, because they couldn’t lose him AND Jones just like Nashville couldn’t lose Weber AND Suter in the same offseason, so Nashville matched that absurd offersheet from Philly

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I do expect that we eventually see Werenski in a Wings jersey, but sadly it’ll be a broken down aged Werenski we get on a deal like a Trevor Daley in 2028 or something.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
With that contract I am kind of glad he won't be coming here. He is very good, but to me he isn't nearly 10 million good. 8.5 at most seems fair for him.

Reactions: rangersblues

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
It’s gonna be a bit before I’m not salty about it though. Wanted Werenski pretty bad since the Frozen Four when he was dominant.

Also, it’s the double f*** you of the Suter-Parise bullshit where we lost to family and all that… and then when the shoe is on the other foot, the guy not only decides to not come home but extend in Michigan’s and the University of Michigan’s most hated city in the country.

Larkin and Hyman gonna give him some mad shit when they play each other now

Reactions: Bench

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
People were acting like they had inside knowledge on Werenski coming to Detroit, no?

The Red Wings don't have great ties to UofM - especially since Babcock left.
Yeah, they have Larkin. They had Glendening and Merrill.
Babcock was a big fan of the Michigan program. But there's no real connection anymore.

It's actually pretty surprising how few kids from Michigan this team has drafted over the years.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I think Wings fans are going to have to start accepting the fact that Detroit is not an attractive destination for free agents. Even homegrown ones.

In the 90s we had a winning culture and the money to overcome the fact that Metro Detroit is probably one of the worst 5 NHL cities to live in. We don't have that anymore, and it's going to be extremely difficult to rebuild when you can't get top-3 picks and you can't get good free agents to come here.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1900L and CPTN71

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And I will continue to smoke that shit.

Same. He could always Seth Jones his way out in the future if he wants. We can always hope.

But can't blame the kid for taking $57 million dollars on the table. That's insane money. There's no guarantee he gets that cash in Detroit, and injuries happen fast in the NHL, so you just gotta take what's given. This is why most folks re-sign with their current team even if they have their heart elsewhere.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Same. He could always Seth Jones his way out in the future if he wants. We can always hope.

But can't blame the kid for taking $57 million dollars on the table. That's insane money. There's no guarantee he gets that cash in Detroit, and injuries happen fast in the NHL, so you just gotta take what's given. This is why most folks re-sign with their current team even if they have their heart elsewhere.
Lol, his situation has nothing to do with Jones but sure go ahead and keep praying something else happens.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Lol, his situation has nothing to do with Jones but sure go ahead and keep praying something else happens.
I understand saying it might have never been realistic to get him to the Wings. Or that you think the contract Werenski just signed is worth it. But to say that locking up your one last good defenseman has NOTHING to do with immediately having lost the other one because he demanded to get out of town? C'mon now.

Reactions: SoupNazi

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I understand saying it might have never been realistic to get him to the Wings. Or that you think the contract Werenski just signed is worth it. But to say that locking up your one last good defenseman has NOTHING to do with immediately having lost the other one because he demanded to get out of town? C'mon now.
When did I say that in my prior posts?

But yeah, of course we tried to get him to stay long term, just like… ANY other team would have done in our situation. In case you need a refresher, CBJ doesn’t just give away players :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad