Confirmed with Link: The "We got Karlsson!" all-day, all-night, party all the time thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Have him sign a Melker Jersey.

well it would certainly have kitsch value.

1091139.jpg

Reactions: Lebanezer

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The deal is a win for San Jose either way IMO.

Will San Jose fans be happy with the deal if EK refuses to sign an extension?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I can see that perspective.
How far will you have to go in the post season to view it as a win?

Personally, if he were to walk after the season I would say that a success would be nothing less than making it to the Final. We've had enough "Close but not quite" playoff runs without Karlsson. Obviously actually winning the cup would be the truest successful season, but if we were to make it out of the west then even if we lose I would probably be.... let's say "less disappointed" by the prospect of Karlsson leaving after this year.

But the Sharks have a strong track record of retaining players they receive in trade (except Brian Campbell, but **** that guy), so I'm not as worried about this prospect as I might otherwise be.

Reactions: Phu

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the fact that Doug Wilson often gets torn apart here by his poor drafting choices, which is sometimes over-blown and sometimes very true...

But one thing he’s REALLY good at is turning his own draft picks and homegrown players into superstars via trades. The Boyle deal, Thornton deal, Kane, this deal — they were built almost entirely from drafted, home grown players.

So, we either underrate the prospects or he’s a brilliant salesman (more the latter I think), but it really is kind of a remarkable thing

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the fact that Doug Wilson often gets torn apart here by his poor drafting choices, which is sometimes over-blown and sometimes very true...

But one thing he’s REALLY good at is turning his own draft picks and homegrown players into superstars via trades. The Boyle deal, Thornton deal, Kane, this deal — they were built almost entirely from drafted, home grown players.

So, we either underrate the prospects or he’s a brilliant salesman (more the latter I think), but it really is kind of a remarkable thing

I was thinking about this as well. Part of the Kane trade was undoubtedly O’Regan. A late round pick who just happened to be besties with Eichel. And then when it happened again with Norris and Tkachuk, I almost wonder if the front office isn’t targeting these guys who happen to be friends of future superstars. Would be an interesting angle the say the least.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nem, the conditional pick for the trading to the East would either be 2021 or 2022 as there was confirmation that the pick would be no later than 2022 and since 2019 and 2020 are already accounted for, those are the only two picks left.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I was thinking about this as well. Part of the Kane trade was undoubtedly O’Regan. A late round pick who just happened to be besties with Eichel. And then when it happened again with Norris and Tkachuk, I almost wonder if the front office isn’t targeting these guys who happen to be friends of future superstars. Would be an interesting angle the say the least.

You can't target like that simply because too many things would need to line up just right to allow for that situation to happen.

1) You'd have to correctly identify a player in a current/near past/near future draft or existing prospect pool that expects to be a "build around this guy" superstar for another team.
2) You'd have to correctly identify a player on the other team from (1) that said team will want/need to move in the near future.
3) Said player from (2) would have to be something the Sharks know they need now or in the near future.
4) You'd have to correctly identify a teammate of said future superstar from (1) that plays for the same amateur team as said player that you can target at the draft with one of your picks in a totally non-suspicious way (ie the pick would have to seem at least reasonably valid/defensible on its own merit, ignoring any consideration for this sort of plan)
5) You'd have to also bank on the fact that the player from (4) will develop enough as a prospect to have viable potential future NHL value.
6) You'd also have to correctly predict that the player from (4) will be of a type/position/style that will prove valuable and desirable to the team from (1).
7) You'd have to also also correctly predict that your package to get the player from (2) from team (1) will be more than attractive enough by including player (4) that it trumps any other offer that another team could pony up. Because obviously just having a Norris/O'Regan in your system to trade wouldn't matter if, for example, Buffalo swooped in and said they'd give Mittelstadt to the Sens for Karlsson.

At worst it was pure dumb luck that the prospects that Buffalo/Ottawa found attractive had existing connections with players from their team. At best it was a happy accident that helped increase their attractiveness and increased the value of the Sharks' package by some likely very marginal amount. It's not something you could ever really bank on or plan for. You simply have to resort to the standard draft protocol: pick the best players you can out of the draft and hope that they progress enough to be useful either internally on your roster or externally as trade chips.

For Doug Wilson to pull this off he would basically have to be the greatest GM in the history of professional sports and perhaps the greatest manager in any sort of managerial context of any industry if he were able to pull the strings so perfectly to accomplish this.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Nem, the conditional pick for the trading to the East would either be 2021 or 2022 as there was confirmation that the pick would be no later than 2022 and since 2019 and 2020 are already accounted for, those are the only two picks left.

I'll adjust that. Thanks.

Now we just need Friedman to fact-check/proofread his tweets and figure out what's the deal with the alleged 2019 1st that we can't possibly trade.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I think this is mostly narrative nonsense, with some GMs spinning it this way to justify a trade.

Still reels me that Erik Karlsson is a Shark.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I'm not all that worried bout the future, we kept Hertl, Meier, Merkley, and even Labanc. If Karlsson resigns things look good, could always just run 1b2A type centers, while Merkley learns from the best.

Reactions: Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
What happens if you trade away a conditional pick then the condition triggers afterward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad