Podcast (Audio) The Wally and Methot Show

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Speculated that Zaitsev might be on waivers to start the year. Too chaotic out there with the puck, like he's jittery from taking sudafed, lol. Pretty harsh...

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Speculated that Zaitsev might be on waivers to start the year. Too chaotic out there with the puck, like he's jittery from taking sudafed, lol. Pretty harsh...

The Sudafed comment was definitely harsh but accurate to say he had no puck poise and dragged down Chabot when they were paired together.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I suspect that Holden & Zaitsev could be the shutdown tandem & PK duo to start the yr, it's much more likely that Brannstrom will be the odd man out. The defence is the biggest quesion mark to start the yr.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I suspect that Holden & Zaitsev could be the shutdown tandem & PK duo to start the yr, it's much more likely that Brannstrom will be the odd man out. The defence is the biggest quesion mark to start the yr.
I feel the org has telegraphed that Brannstrom will be in and Zaitsev will be out.

Reactions: Bileur and Loach

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They did say Zaitsev was in great shape, spent all summer training in Ottawa, and played injured last year.

Who knows, maybe he’ll kill it as a bottom pairing and PKer.

He definitely has that role in him at his best in my opinion.

Reactions: aragorn

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
They did say Zaitsev was in great shape, spent all summer training in Ottawa, and played injured last year.

I agree on that last part, but I don't think it's super likely.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Not worth his salary in that role whatsoever.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Nice to hear Zaitsev is in good shape.

Being fitter and stronger should allow him to make poor decisions faster and harder.

I wish him the best.

What he really needs is not physical unfortunately

Reactions: Bileur

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That was Wallace looking into things and making assumptions.

He heard zaitsev stayed in Ottawa to train assuming that meant he was more dedicated to working out completely forgetting he obviously wasn't going to go back to Russia.

He even later said he has no idea what he normally did for training and if he's done anything different at all.

People just assume extra dedication when they stay in town during the summer but in this case, with a Russian, it was obvious.

Reactions: HSF

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I have no idea what will happen with Zaitsev, but maybe they put him on waivers and he spends the season in the AHL.

The counter argument is they try to make him look good by giving him sheltered minutes (& a lesser role) so they can trade him. They won't get much but it might lower the negative return somewhat.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That was Wallace looking into things and making assumptions.

He heard zaitsev stayed in Ottawa to train assuming that meant he was more dedicated to working out completely forgetting he obviously wasn't going to go back to Russia.

He even later said he has no idea what he normally did for training and if he's done anything different at all.

People just assume extra dedication when they stay in town during the summer but in this case, with a Russian, it was obvious.
Actually it was DJ who was talking about it in terms of what I was saying.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Actually it was DJ who was talking about it in terms of what I was saying.

Oh I thought you were talking about Wallace the other episode going on about how he stayed in Ottawa so it must mean good things. He stayed in Ottawa because of the war, not to put in extra focus...even if that was a side effect.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oh I thought you were talking about Wallace the other episode going on about how he stayed in Ottawa so it must mean good things. He stayed in Ottawa because of the war, not to put in extra focus...even if that was a side effect.
DJ was interviewed not long ago, and he mentioned how Z was in great shape and was playing injured last year. Didn’t heap praise or anything, but mentioned him as another guy who would be competing for a spot. Same interview where he said that Zub would be playing with Chabot.

Reactions: jbeck5

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Dorion came on the Locked on Sens podcast.

Wally really shout himself in the foot by going after him on the show. I mean he wasn’t wrong too I would have done the same but I guess it’s a learning moment

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Wally really shout himself in the foot by going after him on the show. I mean he wasn’t wrong too I would have done the same but I guess it’s a learning moment
Did Dorion comment on it?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Wally is piling up the learning moments …

Reactions: Samsquanch

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

It is an interesting thought. As hard as Ian was on the organization and of course with his big watershed story about Melnyk, it always seemed fair, professional, and never came off as personal the way it did from Wallace. Justified or not, their chosen paths seem to have led them in different directions and Ian appears to be welcomed by the organization right now.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Did Dorion comment on it?
lol no that was the biggest softball waste of time podcast in my life.

Was hoping for a question like. "How big of a loss would it be to lose a guy like Zub off your roster right now." something along the lines of not asking about a contract but getting the GM to expand a little on the situation.

R2010

May 23, 2011
It is an interesting thought. As hard as Ian was on the organization and of course with his big watershed story about Melnyk, it always seemed fair, professional, and never came off as personal the way it did from Wallace. Justified or not, their chosen paths seem to have led them in different directions and Ian appears to be welcomed by the organization right now.

Well didn't the org basically get Wallace let go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad