Blue Jays Discussion: The waiting game sucks, so things are happening (Jays acquire Donaldson for Lawrie+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This was only the second time he has posted a positive DRS since the 2008 season. His range seems to be the main culprit, and he even spent a couple of starts at first last season (for whatever that's worth).

I'm not exactly sure how defensive metrics are calculated, but I wonder if Adam Jones is somewhat responsible for the previously poor results? It's odd because Adam Jones finally put up a good season defensively, and it seems Markakis did along with him. I definitely think Markakis would be a better defensive option than Melky in LF though, for sure.

Yep.
Melky was straight up terrible defensively last season. He makes a few nice catchs here and there or a strong throw for outfield assists, but his range is brutal.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Davidi was on MLB Tonight on MLB Network. Said the Blue Jays have 10-12M to spend.

I hope he means, after calculating the projected arb salaries of ALL candidates as well as the guys we will surely move like Happ and Navarro, that would leave us with a $145 million budget.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'm still a Lawrie fan, so I'll defend him right here.

Those comments by him were pretty bad, but I think that has more to do with how much he wanted to be a Jay. He keeps bringing up how he was a Canadian and how honoured he was to be playing for his favourite team and representing his country. I just think he wanted to badly be part of a Jays team that was a contender. He seems really disappointed and as a result bitter. I'll cut him a bit of slack.

Same. From the way AA described it, he was crushed by the news. He probably didn't mean it in those exact words. Emotions are flowing. I'll let it slide considering the circumstances.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's fairly hard to predict starting pitching consistently. Performance-wise, I think it is fair to predict regression.

Those numbers are most definitely not 'average'.

Maybe not worth 13+ million, but a lot of teams, including the Jays, would be happy with that production.

career wRC+ of 112. Last 5 seasons he's been 116/105/126/88/106.

1-2 WAR a year isn't "average" in the context of all MLB OFs, but it is for starters. Since his 2nd/3rd year he hasn't been above 2.5, which is in the range of role player to solid starter.

Again, it comes down to the fact that you have to look at what Markakis brings to the table? He doesn't hit for higher than normal average, he doesn't have power to speak of, he doesn't have speed worth mentioning, his defence is surprisingly underwhelming. The biggest thing you can say about Markakis is that he doesn't suck. If we're filling a hole in LF, I'd rather find someone that brings at least one remarkable tool to the table. Like Melky with his hit tool or someone with power or speed. at $13m or more a season, I'd want a guy that's better than a bunch of C+s across the board.

We might as well platoon Dirks and, I dunno, Mayberry in LF and get output approaching Markakis' for a fraction of the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad