Blue Jays Discussion: The waiting game sucks, so things are happening (Jays acquire Donaldson for Lawrie+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
And he wont trade Dickey or Buehrle i gather in order to free up some salary

so LF DH 2B and relevers are going to have come cheap

Dickey is very tradeable. Buehrle not so much. He's making 20 mill next season. You'd probably need to part with a semi decent prospect for the other team to eat Buehrle's salary.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
last year by WAR (fangraphs):

Offense: 5th MLB
Rotation: 7th MLB

Bullpen: 22nd MLB
Defense: 24th MLB

AA has already made some bigtime defensive upgrades, which is nice, especially since ut hasn't cost us any offense.

now he has to fix the bullpen.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Seems as if Gordon Beckham will be non-tendered. Angels are still interested in bringing him back as a backup infielder, though.

Unless they trade Kendricks or Freese, it will be tough for him to get playing time. Beckham will likely want to sign with a team that will give him an everyday role.

If Jays can't sign Lowrie or Drew, I think he would be a decent option.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dickey is very tradeable. Buehrle not so much. He's making 20 mill next season. You'd probably need to part with a semi decent prospect for the other team to eat Buehrle's salary.

buehrle was one of the best pitchers in baseball last year, and only has one year commitment. he's very tradeable, for a good return. of course, trading him would mean we get much weaker, so that makes no sense.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA

Doesn'y sound like it
If you believe:

AA on PTS: "I would be surprised if we considered moving one of our current five starters" #jays

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I would be really happy if we could get Alberto Callaspo, Melky Cabrera and maybe one of David Robertson or Andrew Miller.

1. Jose Reyes (SS)
2. Russell Martin (C)
3. Edwin Encarnacion (1B)
4. Jose Bautista (RF)
5. Josh Donaldson (3B)
6. Melky Cabrera (LF)
7. Justin Smoak/Dioner Navarro (DH)
8. Dalton Pompey (CF)
9. Alberto Callaspo (2B)

Pompey is still really young but they could actually rely on the CF position for defence and any offence out of the rookie would be a bonus.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
buehrle was one of the best pitchers in baseball last year, and only has one year commitment. he's very tradeable, for a good return. of course, trading him would mean we get much weaker, so that makes no sense.

In the first half was. His 2nd half ERA was heading towards 5. 20 mill salary is hard to justify.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I would be really happy if we could get Alberto Callaspo, Melky Cabrera and maybe one of David Robertson or Andrew Miller.

1. Jose Reyes (SS)
2. Russell Martin (C)
3. Edwin Encarnacion (1B)
4. Jose Bautista (RF)
5. Josh Donaldson (3B)
6. Melky Cabrera (LF)
7. Justin Smoak/Dioner Navarro (DH)
8. Dalton Pompey (CF)
9. Alberto Callaspo (2B)

Pompey is still really young but they could actually rely on the CF position for defence and any offence out of the rookie would be a bonus.

Callaspo sucks. Might as well roll with Izturis if they're gonna have to go out and get Callaspo. I'm hard-pressed to even say what Callaspo brings that's enough of an upgrade on our current 2B crop of candidates to be worth the FA $$$. He's a mediocre-to-poor hitter with 0 power and a hard groundball tendency without the speed to beat out those IF dribblers. And his defence isn't stellar either. Especially at 2nd, where he's posted sizeable UZR/150 deficits and negative DRS figures too. He doesn't have the athleticism or range to be a regular 2B

And I've already made my thoughts on spending for premium FA bullpen arms known.

Meanwhile, if not for the fact that the team is RHB heavy, an interesting buy-low FA option for a bench bat/DH would be Michael Morse. He strikes out a fair bit and looked awful in 2013 in Seattle/Baltimore, but he's been a good hitter in his time in Washington and San Fran, generally hitting somewhere in teh range of .280/.340/.840ish. And yeah, his play in the OF is something resembling a dumpster fire, but that's less of an issue as a 1B/DH/PH type guy. And chances are that his $6m price tag from the last couple seasons isn't going to be much of an upward drag on his salary coming up given that he's not much more than a part-timer now.

Last edited:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Looks like markakis might leave Baltimore. Lefty bat , plays the field. Looks like similar numbers as Melke but must have better defense? Both command around the same $$$?

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Romero still is taking up $7,750,000 on the cap

:naughty::naughty:

If Romero days are done as a starter with the Jays why not at least put him in the pen this year and get some use out of it. He must be able to get one lefty out

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Looks like markakis might leave Baltimore. Lefty bat , plays the field. Looks like similar numbers as Melke but must have better defense? Both command around the same $$$?

If someone's gonna make that FA money, Melky is probably better because at least he has 1 elite tool.

Markakis is mediocre in the proper use of the word (where it means "average" and not "averageish, but in a negative context"). He looked so promising as a rookie, but he's basically been the same player since then. Decent OF D, hitting in the .270-.280 range, OBPing around .350-.360, 10-15 HRs, a lot of walks, few strikeouts, and remarkable consistency in a bland, flavorless sort of way. He's the vanilla ice cream of MLB players.

On the cheap, he'd be a nice piece to add to plug into an OF hole. But if the Jays (or any team, really) is gonna spend $13m+ on a free agent outfielder, I would want a guy that at least does something better than average that can be leveraged for value. A guy like Markakis you would sign and then bat like 7th in the Jays' lineup and just sort of be there, not sucking but not really heavily contributing.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
From a SportsNet tweet

@Sportsnet: Lawrie on trade: "This is a team that likes to win. I haven’t been on that side of the coin."

Glad one of the main cancers is gone.

What a huge douchenozzle. He's obviously not a pro. You should learn never to burn bridges and talk down previous organizations. Other clubs will notice that stuff.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
From a SportsNet tweet

@Sportsnet: Lawrie on trade: "This is a team that likes to win. I haven’t been on that side of the coin."

Glad one of the main cancers is gone.

Of course you weren't Brett...you were on the DL half that time to realize it and try and do something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad