Blue Jays Discussion: The waiting game sucks, so things are happening (Jays acquire Donaldson for Lawrie+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I'm ****ing ecstatic right now. HUGE deal. Anyone who watches baseball knows that Donaldson can play. One of the best 3B's in the league. Watch him get 35+ dingers too at Rogers Centre.

Wow.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Susan Slusser ‏@susanslusser 49s50 seconds ago
Beane says that #Athletics were pretty adamant they weren't going to deal Donaldson but #BlueJays essentially overwhelmed them.

I bet AA just kept saying "do it" over and over again before Beane lost his mind and said yes.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Can someone pinch me?

I honestly am still dumbfounded that we were able to upgrade Lawrie for Donaldson at the cost of a pair of #5 starters and a CF prospect 2 years away.

To top it off, after acquiring Donaldson. Sanchez, Norris and Pompey are STILL HERE!

As well as Pentecost and Hoffman who I know would have had to be players to be named later but still. Aside from Barreto the elite pieces of the prospect pool are retained and we got a perennial all star who's cheap and under team control. Just insane

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
why trade Dickey? isn't he our knuckleball ace?

Dickey isn't an ace anymore. That's what he was (possibly) brought here to do, but he's not. At this point he's over 40 years old. A blah #2, good #3 pitcher. Our rotation is going to get younger with Stroman, and Hutch already in it. Sanchez probably deserving of a chance next year. To make room for an actual ace(say Lester) we have to trade Buerhle or Dickey(and Happ). Buerhle has been good with the young guys as a mentor, and has a bigger salary so probably wouldn't return as much as Dickey will. Therefore if we were to acquire say Lester, you probably trade Dickey.

Lester
Stroman
Buerhle
Hutch
Sanchez

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
And the Jays will easily be able to pay him when the time comes (assuming he wants to stick around) since a lot of those big contracts will be off the books.

**** you, Jay Bruce. Have fun rotting in Cincy.

Why? Jay Bruce never used his no trade clause. If the Jays are really targeting him though I'm sure he would waive it after seeing this acquisition. :laugh:

Also the Jays could still really use a lefthanded bat.

As well as Pentecost and Hoffman who I know would have had to be players to be named later but still. Aside from Barreto the elite pieces of the prospect pool are retained and we got a perennial all star who's cheap and under team control. Just insane

Yeah he's not very expensive this year but he'll get pricey very soon. I'd lock him up to that Seager contract. Ball so hard AA, you tha best.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Honestly, its time for rogers to go all in.

The pieces are there to make this an absurd team it just needs to spend some money.

Spend what it takes to keep melky.

Sign lester.

Sign Torii Hunter to platoon CF, or look into another CF.

Adjust the bullpen through trades/cheap FAs.

Thats a WS contender.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I would offer him the Jose deal

$8, $14, $14, $14, $14, $14Team option

You're getting one free agent year + an option and paying 50M for 4 arbitration years. His arb years will get expensive towards the end as a super two but 50M for 4 arbitration years seems a bit much.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Beane says that #Athletics were pretty adamant they weren't going to deal Donaldson but #BlueJays essentially overwhelmed them.

I bet AA just kept saying "do it" over and over again before Beane lost his mind and said yes.

ok, now just do the same for Kershaw :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

So basically we overpaid because we wanted a player they didn't want to trade. That doesn't make sense to me since it doesn't look like an overpay type of offer.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
You're getting one free agent year + an option and paying 50M for 4 arbitration years. His arb years will get expensive towards the end as a super two but 50M for 4 arbitration years seems a bit much.

Think of the inflation and Rogers park effect might make on the tail end of his arb and free agency. Also, its an incentive for him to take the money upfront and could be a good deal for both sides.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Its time to go all in rogers.

Sign Melky who fits in already and is a perfect OBP player for us.

Sign Lester to be our #1 and trade Dickey for some depth especially relievers.

IMHO look at torii hunter for a stopgap CF veteran.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Know nothing about Donaldson being a casual fan but you guys going giddy in the last thread has me psyched.

One of the best defensive players in baseball, good bat, finished 4th in AL MVP voting.

Pretty much everything you could want in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad