Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
desktops may be losing wind due to portability issues, but laptops? How could you be surprised that people still use laptops?

Just for streaming games, Amazon, Netflix. I find phones and tablets so much easier than a laptop.
I guess you use what you have.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That's the majority of his full season experience.

I'm talking about literally like 20ip here.

2012 was his first year pro, and at 17 he was great at high rookie and A- levels - already way ahead of all but the best prospects:

9gs, 43.2ip, 27.2k%, 8.3b%, 2.27er, 3.12fip

This is similar to what, say, Thor put up at the exact same levels - but Thor was over a year and a half older.

Then in 2013, at 18 in full season ball, he started off the season on ridiculous fire:

7gs, 33.0ip, 33.1k%, 3.9b%, 2.43era 2.83fip

Then got hurt his next start, and tried to pitch thru it for 2 more starts before going for surgery (you can really see it in his command):

3gs, 9.0ip, 18.4k%, 12.2b%, 17.00era, 6.89fip

Then he came back the next year, as a 19yr old in A+, and started off like this:

5gs, 12.2ip, 27.0k%, 12.7k%, 9.24era, 5.14fip

And then got his game back together and dominated again (again, you can really see it in his command):

3gs, 10.1ip, 36.6k%, 2.4b%, 2.61era, 2.33fip

The next year, he was a dominant closer in MLB at 20.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why anybody would stream on their phone rather then a laptop is completely beyond me.

I had the game on my iPad bluetoothed to all the speakers in the house, I went to gym between innings where the sound automatically connected in my truck, when I got to the gym, I turned on my headset and the sound switched over to those and I watched while rode a bike for an hour.
It was seemless without any interruptions.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It was OK. The games they had on before the Jays game were horrible .

Side. Note: I’m surprised that many still use a pc or laptop. Even when I worked full time I always used my iPad /iPhone for streaming.

I watched it all the way home from work.....to walmart....to rogers store....and then thru dinner. It was perfect.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I watched it all the way home from work.....to walmart....to rogers store....and then thru dinner. It was perfect.

I was between innings and only listened while I was in my truck.

BTW I liked those little profiles they did between innings.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Are we done worrying about how the team is going to score runs yet?

It's nice what they're doing but who's the best pitcher we've faced so far this season, Severino? Then again, there aren't really a lot of great rotations in the AL I think other than Boston, Houston, and Cleveland so it may not matter.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's nice what they're doing but who's the best pitcher we've faced so far this season, Severino? Then again, there aren't really a lot of great rotations in the AL I think other than Boston, Houston, and Cleveland so it may not matter.

I am still skeptical. I mean, Solarte is the clean up hitter. Although, he has having a great start to his season. I am not sold yet. Hopefully we still see some of this in August and September.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I am still skeptical. I mean, Solarte is the clean up hitter. Although, he has having a great start to his season. I am not sold yet. Hopefully we still see some of this in August and September.

There are players that are overachieving, but on the flip slide, there are others that are underachieving. Unlike last yer there are very few holes on this team. Guys like Diaz and Solarte are in the lineup instead of Goins and Barney. Maile's start is obviously unsustainable but I am pretty sure he could get an OPS around .620 which as a backup catcher is great. If Martin goes down, Jansen comes up from AAA instead of the plug catchers they called up last year.

The depth within the organization is much better this year than last year. JD goes down and Teoscar comes up and smashes.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I think Solarte will be solid. He hit 18 hr last season while playing in Petco. Should be able to make it 25 in Rogers with the new baseball's.

We'll definitely hit more home runs (6th in slugging right now), especially with a Teoscar up. Just gotta hope we keep getting on base consistently (only 12th right now) so those homers aren't solo shots. We're also 24th in strikeouts per game, which I guess is a fair tradeoff for the power.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Way too early but something interesting. - With 145 games left - if the Jays played 500 the rest of the way they’d have 84.5 wins. Or since that’s not possible if they go 73-72 = 85W. That got in last year.

The Angels and Jays have similar records and the Yankees look like they may be destined to be in the WC race and maybe even Houston. Having said that I’m guessing it’ll take 88+W for the WC2

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
DbF8Jo-VwAAhN_k.jpg:large

That right shoulder though... pure titanium!

Reactions: Discoverer

canuck89

May 17, 2014
Prince George
Well, after watching that crushing sweep of the Royals, I got a question...

Who the heck is this Luke Maile guy, and what has he done with our former backup catcher?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Way too early but something interesting. - With 145 games left - if the Jays played 500 the rest of the way they’d have 84.5 wins. Or since that’s not possible if they go 73-72 = 85W. That got in last year.

The Angels and Jays have similar records and the Yankees look like they may be destined to be in the WC race and maybe even Houston. Having said that I’m guessing it’ll take 88+W for the WC2
It's too early to look at the standings, late May or early June is when you can look. Just like if the Jays were 5-12, I'd say relax, it's too soon to judge, it is a great start .

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Solarte being the cleanup hitter means nothing now the same way it meant nothing a month ago. The offense is strong because it has average or better hitters top to bottom, not because it has a couple big sluggers in the middle of the lineup. Going into the season, they even had a couple of those "average or better" hitters on the bench, and that's why they can keep scoring runs with their one superstar out of the lineup.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Stroman and Sanchez need to be better for this team to succeed. The bats will come down to earth eventually but we need to have our aces pitching like our aces to have any chance this season.

When we get Donaldson back healthy, and we hopefully can get back a healthy Tulo in the second half. This team will be a contender. I like the makeup of the team.

Only flaw I see is that we need to rid ourselves of Morales somehow. Something has got to give. This is the only change I would make. Other then that they are playing great baseball.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Stroman and Sanchez need to be better for this team to succeed. The bats will come down to earth eventually but we need to have our aces pitching like our aces to have any chance this season.

When we get Donaldson back healthy, and we hopefully can get back a healthy Tulo in the second half. This team will be a contender. I like the makeup of the team.

Only flaw I see is that we need to rid ourselves of Morales somehow. Something has got to give. This is the only change I would make. Other then that they are playing great baseball.
stroman 100%, but sanchez has been good..i mean the kid had a no hitter in the 8th his last time out. he just needs to cut out a few of the walks, but hes using his changeup alot more instead of his curve i assume because of his blister issues, seems like hes still refining that pitch.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I actually like having Solarte hitting clean up. He isn't shy of talking walks and makes consistent contact.

Having a pair of switch hitters in the middle of the order really makes it difficult for opposing managers when they dip into the bullpen.

Reactions: doorman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad