The Visitor's Guide to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Hello Bruins fans, long time lurker here who finally decided to register! I'm a huge Bruins fan from Montreal and i'm visiting Boston in October. I have a couple of questions and I was wondering if some of you guys could try to help me out!

- I'll be staying in Framingham and I was wondering what was the best options for me if I want to use the subway to the Garden. I know i can take the train in Framingham but getting to North Station would take 1 hour. I though of driving to Back bay station and then taking the subway to North station. Is there a lot of parking at the Back bay station? Would it be worthwhile to park there or should I try driving directly to the Garden? If not for Back bay station, is there another accesible station with good parking areas that I could use to reach the North station?

- I was also wondering if some of you guys are used to buying tickets on a gameday. I'll be catching a game for sure but I might be able to catch another one right before leaving. Do ticket prices drop on gameday? I heard that they sometimes do on websites like Stubhub, have you guys ever tried it out? And if you did, what was the deadline for buying tickets before a game (1h, 6h, 24h)?

- I would like to be able to catch a Red Sox's match if possible. Do you guys know when the playoffs schedule is annonced? I was thinking of going to Boston in the week of October 16 and I have absolutely no idea if they will still be playing by then ahah!

Thank you guys! :)
Hello Dunlop, and welcome.

To answer your last question first, of course the Red Sox will be playing on/about October 16. That's Playoff and World Series time!

As for transportation into Boston from Framingham, you could take the Commuter rail to SOUTH Station. The Bruins play at Toronto Dominion Garden which is at NORTH Station. So it's not easy to change from station to station.

Another option is to drive to Riverside which is in Newton near Route 128 (I-95). It has good parking. Trolleys go from there to North Station though you might have to change if the trolley you take is not destined for No. Station. The trip takes about 45 min to an hour.

There is little parking (expensive garages only) at Back Bay station as it is in the heart of midtown Boston.

Good luck.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Hello Bruins fans, long time lurker here who finally decided to register! I'm a huge Bruins fan from Montreal and i'm visiting Boston in October. I have a couple of questions and I was wondering if some of you guys could try to help me out!

- I'll be staying in Framingham and I was wondering what was the best options for me if I want to use the subway to the Garden. I know i can take the train in Framingham but getting to North Station would take 1 hour. I though of driving to Back bay station and then taking the subway to North station. Is there a lot of parking at the Back bay station? Would it be worthwhile to park there or should I try driving directly to the Garden? If not for Back bay station, is there another accesible station with good parking areas that I could use to reach the North station?

- I was also wondering if some of you guys are used to buying tickets on a gameday. I'll be catching a game for sure but I might be able to catch another one right before leaving. Do ticket prices drop on gameday? I heard that they sometimes do on websites like Stubhub, have you guys ever tried it out? And if you did, what was the deadline for buying tickets before a game (1h, 6h, 24h)?

- I would like to be able to catch a Red Sox's match if possible. Do you guys know when the playoffs schedule is annonced? I was thinking of going to Boston in the week of October 16 and I have absolutely no idea if they will still be playing by then ahah!

Best bet if you're driving is to park at Sullivan square station and take the orange line to north station. It beats having to drive into the city, Sullivan square is on the outskirts.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As for transportation into Boston from Framingham, you could take the Commuter rail to SOUTH Station. The Bruins play at Toronto Dominion Garden which is at NORTH Station. So it's not easy to change from station to station.

Another option is to drive to Riverside which is in Newton near Route 128 (I-95). It has good parking. Trolleys go from there to North Station though you might have to change if the trolley you take is not destined for No. Station. The trip takes about 45 min to an hour.

However you can get off the commuter rail at Back Bay and then take the Orange Line to North Station.

The best option is to drive to Assembly Station where there is ample free parking and then take the Orange Line 3 stops to North Station.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

To answer your question about the potential Red Sox schedule:

http://m.mlb.com/postseason-schedule

If by "the week of October 16" you mean Monday-Friday, the Sox could literally be playing on any day but the 19th. To play at Fenway on 16-18th, we'd have to win the first round, and be the lower seed in the second round for games 3-5. To play at Fenway on the 20th, we'd have to be the higher seed in the second round (and it would have to go to 6). Times for the games are TBD - Monday the 16th and Friday the 20th would likely be night games (7 PM? 8 PM?) since they're the only MLB games played, but the other two could be day games because of the National League games - it depends on teams and time zones.

In short, it's way too early to try to schedule the post season games, and unfortunately buying tickets will be tough for you until the game dates/times get firmed up. They generally sell "Round 2: Game A, B, C, D", where A, B, C, D would be games 1, 2, 6, 7 if it's the higher seed, and 3, 4, 5, and your money back if it's the lower seed. Prices probably shoot up when the actual dates/times are announced/deducible.

I'm assuming you're looking at the VAN and/or BUF games in October? Those games should be some of the cheaper games. Western Conference, teams that look to be mediocre at best, October when people don't know hockey exists...all adds to to a buyer's market. BUF will be more since it's a Saturday game. Prices do go down...I'm not sure when TicketsNow cuts off selling, and it may change this year. Last year, I'm pretty sure it was cut off at either 5 PM or 6 PM for a 7 PM game. Their tickets can be used right from your phone...which is convenient for a traveler with no handy printer. Markets are unpredictable, but usually by about noon most sellers have put in their best price, but there may be a few isolated price drops. You never know.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
However you can get off the commuter rail at Back Bay and then take the Orange Line to North Station.

The best option is to drive to Assembly Station where there is ample free parking and then take the Orange Line 3 stops to North Station.

They are cracking down on this unfortunately.

schmautzy

Feb 22, 2010
Thank you guys, I appreciate the help! :)

I drive in from the west through Framingham. A few times I have parked in Waltham at Brandeis and taken the Commuter rail from there right in to North Station/Garden.
Very simple and no stress.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I drive in from the west through Framingham. A few times I have parked in Waltham at Brandeis and taken the Commuter rail from there right in to North Station/Garden.
Very simple and no stress.
Looks like the best option. Being from the North Shore I hadn't realized that Waltham is on the Fitchburg Line with terminus at North, not South Station.

Parking looks tight, though.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The main problem with the commuter rail for games, IMO, is the timing. I'm just looking at today, a weekday, and that particular train leaves at 10:40 PM - meaning you'll be hanging out in North Station for about an hour, since 7 PM games get out between 9:35 and 9:50. There's no earlier option (8:45 PM? You get to watch one period), and the later option is past midnight. I guess that's why they call it the commuter rail - outside of 9-to-5, it doesn't really work out too well.

I don't know the parking situation for the orange line...I do know that Riverside works for me. $6 to park, $2.25 fare each way ($2.75 if you don't have free card that the locals can pick up at North Station or varios other places)...way better than the monster $49 parking at North Station itself.

schmautzy

Feb 22, 2010
Looks like the best option. Being from the North Shore I hadn't realized that Waltham is on the Fitchburg Line with terminus at North, not South Station.

Parking looks tight, though.

Lot is pretty empty pre game. I never paid there and can't remember train price. Do have to wait a bit for after game train. I have gone to local bars for a drink and then got on train.
I think it is simple trip for out of town-er coming from west if game is all you care about.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
What's the point of a T station there if you can't park???????

You can park, but it's not free.

The lots by KMart are 3 hour maximum now, and they're numbered to prepare for charging. And they enforce it. Place is swimming with parking enforcement. The Partners garage is open to visitors and people taking the T, first 3 hours are free. After that you get charged. I want to say up to 8 hours is $8, then it jumps to $26 (I think, I can confirm these numbers on Tuesday when I'm in the office).

If it's a quick trip and you'll be in and out, round trip, including travel within 3 hours, sure park at Assembly. If not, it's easier and more economical to just pay the $6 at Wellington.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
That two year period of free parking at Assembly were the ****ing best. THE BEST.

Amen. And you got to miss the Wellington to Assembly Crawl which is somehow still a thing even though the station is done being built.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Parking at commuter rail stations with unmanned pay stations is free for hockey games. Find one of those.

Dunlop7

Aug 29, 2017
Thanks again for the help! From my understanding, I think parking in Wellington is my best option. Is there a lot of parking or do I have to get there early before gametime? I think going to Waltham is also a good idea but I would have to take the train which has less travels right? I would also like to visit the Salem area and Harvard University. Do you guys know if there is a lot of parking at these places or should I use public transportation? And last but not least, do you guys have any restaurants and/or other activities to suggest for me and my girlfriend? Thanks :D

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks again for the help! From my understanding, I think parking in Wellington is my best option. Is there a lot of parking or do I have to get there early before gametime? I think going to Waltham is also a good idea but I would have to take the train which has less travels right? I would also like to visit the Salem area and Harvard University. Do you guys know if there is a lot of parking at these places or should I use public transportation? And last but not least, do you guys have any restaurants and/or other activities to suggest for me and my girlfriend? Thanks :D

Harvard is absolutly public transportation.

Waltham parking can be iffy

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/stations/?stopId=213

Now if you decide to visit Salem before the Bruins game rail to Boston from there is a very good option.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/stations/?stopId=184

RGO outta nowhere

Aug 23, 2017
IL, unfortunately
Unfortunately I live out of the area now and will be taking the kids to Boston for the first time ever. I grew up in New England and was wondering if there is a good place in Boston that has fried lobster tail? I haven't had (or seen) it in years, and it was in southern NH, but it was the best when we could get it.

Dunlop7

Aug 29, 2017
Hello Bruins fans, I have another question for you guys. Are the Bruin's pratices open to public? If so, is there any schedule of their pratices? I would like to go see them on my trip if its possible :)

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Hello Bruins fans, I have another question for you guys. Are the Bruin's pratices open to public? If so, is there any schedule of their pratices? I would like to go see them on my trip if its possible :)
Yes, they're open to the public. For the first three days there will be two daily sessions. One is at 10;30am, the other about 1;00pm.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Yes, they're open to the public. For the first three days there will be two daily sessions. One is at 10;30am, the other about 1;00pm.

Here's the schedule not just for the 3 day training camp, but tentatively for the rest of the month:

http://warrioricearenatest.maxgalaxy.net/Schedule.aspx?GUID=823cf521-f410-487c-b5e8-0b46fc9024e5

You never know when it's gong to change, and I have no clue how reliable Warrior is in updating it. Best to check directly on the Bruins website - they post a "Bruins this week" update that usually includes when they anticipate practicing. During the season you never know when they'll decide to cancel a practice.

Here's the schedule for Fri-Sun:

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/bru...17-training-camp-presented-by-att/c-291045792

10:35 and 1:05 practice groups Friday
10:15 and 12:45 practice groups Saturday/Sunday

Fan Fest at 9:30 on Saturay/Sunday in front of/at/around(?) Warrior - mostly for kiddos, I imagine. I wonder if the players who aren't on ice will be out there too...it lasts until 3.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
I posted this in the OT thread the other day and was reminded of this stickied thread by Wrigley so I figured I'd repost over here as I think I should have posted this here all along but I ain't be to bright some of the times.

So my 12 years younger brother (29 years old) is getting married and his buddies decided a cool central meeting point for all of us is Boston so we are kicking a long weekend getaway bachelor party off by attending opening night Bruins Preds Thursday Oct. 5th. and staying in town until Sunday.

Aside from all the cliche bachelor party nonsense I'm just poking in here to see if anyone has any additional pointers or advice as to some interesting non tourist trap things for a bunch of mostly 30 year old-ish dudes (except for this 41 year old geezer) to check out while we are there.

Any specific breweries to visit and/or avoid (the kids love the craft beers these days...), interesting bars (think hipster/dive bar vibe), non tourist trap areas etc...also....places we might want to avoid as well if anyone has any.

I have only been to Boston once and unfortunately it was the week of the Marathon Bombing so things were a little hectic around Boston that week to say the least.....

PM's are fine to avoid clogging up this thread.

Also......................... totally awesome that I get to go to opening night Bruins game, wasn't even my idea and I'm the only B's fan. Just turns out Boston was a great central location for all of us to meet up and everyone likes the hockey so big bro always wins.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Unfortunately I live out of the area now and will be taking the kids to Boston for the first time ever. I grew up in New England and was wondering if there is a good place in Boston that has fried lobster tail? I haven't had (or seen) it in years, and it was in southern NH, but it was the best when we could get it.
There's a good reason you can't find fried lobster tails on the menu in Boston: nobody orders it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad