The Visitor's Guide to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Bars, beaches, dining, history, waterfront and music would all be interesting to me, thank you for the tips and I'll look through the thread a bit more when I'm off work, I appreciate it!

For bars, dining, and waterfront, you can go to the newly rejuvenated Seaport district. Whisky Priest is one of my favorites down there. You can walk the bridges over the Fort Point Channel, stroll past the outdoor restaurants, people watch, or go down by the actual waterfront and stroll around. Throw a rock and you hit good food. It's one of Boston's newest residential areas, it used to be industrial warehouses, which are now expensive condos.

For beaches, you need to go outside Boston, except maybe Castle Island in Southie. There are several reachable by the T.

For Italian, the North End by TD Garden is a must.

For history, Faneuil Hall is where the Sons of Liberty cooked up the beginnings of the revolution (followed later by a secret meeting at The Green Dragon in the North End to plan the Tea Party). Shopping, food, and history all rolled into one. Also, you can walk the Freedom Trail. Start at Boston Common (by Park St. Station on the T) and follow the red line which will lead you to 16 historic sites in 2.5 miles (including Faneuil Hall).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
We arrive on July 19th, dinner that night at Tresca, 20th were heading to Faneuil Hall district, Mrs. Odaat put me in the poor house last time there so I`ve been scouring the streets of Halifax for extra $$.

We`ll likely be looking for a place to grab a lite lunch in that area, any suggestions? There`s lots of options around the area but I`m not overly familiar with the better one`s, thanks.

Evening of the concert were eating at the restaurant in the Hotel (were staying at Boston Park Plaza) think it`s called Strip (I`ll wait for sarcastic comments on that one:)) then off to the Petty concert.

The Friday, probably won`t do a ton, maybe take a walk/pics.

Can I ask what is the best means of transportation from the airport to Hotel? Is regular cab the way to go? Uber? I`ve never used Uber. I believe, based on what many have said here were close enough to walk to the TD/Faneuil but we`ll take either the T or a cab to Tresca once were at the Hotel.

Looking forward to it, fav city in the States

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Transportation-wise, I'd probably do a cab or Uber from the airport to the hotel, particularly if there's a ton of luggage involved. I've never done Uber, but I have the app ready on my phone just in case. I seem to remember a little bit of a line for cabs at Logan, but I could easily be remembering pre-Uber days. It wasn't a mindnumbingly awful cab line, but it wasn't "hop n go". Then again, Uber might take some time too, perhaps?

If you're willing to go public transport, the famous T would be an option. You'd get on the "grey line" bus at Logan to South Station, switch to the Red Line, go from there to Park Street, switch to the Green Line, and go one stop to Arlington, which is right by the Park Plaza Hotel. You could just get off at Park Street if you're really into walking a little over a half mile with luggage after a flight, but it's probably faster (or at worst a wash) to wait.

If you're taking the T from your hotel to Tresca (good idea - it's over a mile), you're definitely taking it from your hotel to the Garden as well. From the hotel to Tresca, you'd go from Arlington to Haymarket, all on the Green Line. From the hotel to the Garden, you'd go from Arlington to North Station - also on the Green Line. From the hotel to Faneuil Hall, it's Arlington to Government Center. If you're going between Tresca, the Garden, or Faneuil Hall, it's close enough for a walk...all three are far enough from your hotel that it may be worth it to take the T if you're not in the mood for a 15-25 minute walk.

Here's a map:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Par...35fe5ed797a8!2m2!1d-71.062146!2d42.366198!3e2

You can see that the three "landmarks" you mentioned are all near each other, but a tiny bit farther from your hotel. Enjoy your stay, and enjoy Tom!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Transportation-wise, I'd probably do a cab or Uber from the airport to the hotel, particularly if there's a ton of luggage involved. I've never done Uber, but I have the app ready on my phone just in case. I seem to remember a little bit of a line for cabs at Logan, but I could easily be remembering pre-Uber days. It wasn't a mindnumbingly awful cab line, but it wasn't "hop n go". Then again, Uber might take some time too, perhaps?

If you're willing to go public transport, the famous T would be an option. You'd get on the "grey line" bus at Logan to South Station, switch to the Red Line, go from there to Park Street, switch to the Green Line, and go one stop to Arlington, which is right by the Park Plaza Hotel. You could just get off at Park Street if you're really into walking a little over a half mile with luggage after a flight, but it's probably faster (or at worst a wash) to wait.

If you're taking the T from your hotel to Tresca (good idea - it's over a mile), you're definitely taking it from your hotel to the Garden as well. From the hotel to Tresca, you'd go from Arlington to Haymarket, all on the Green Line. From the hotel to the Garden, you'd go from Arlington to North Station - also on the Green Line. From the hotel to Faneuil Hall, it's Arlington to Government Center. If you're going between Tresca, the Garden, or Faneuil Hall, it's close enough for a walk...all three are far enough from your hotel that it may be worth it to take the T if you're not in the mood for a 15-25 minute walk.

Here's a map:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Par...35fe5ed797a8!2m2!1d-71.062146!2d42.366198!3e2

You can see that the three "landmarks" you mentioned are all near each other, but a tiny bit farther from your hotel. Enjoy your stay, and enjoy Tom!

Great info Tom, I have printed off your instructions in regards to different T`s to take. Depending on how hot it is, or if it`s raining, we`ll be good to walk a fair bit, we do a ton of it here with the pooch so that won`t bother us. Thanks again, any good foody ideas for our afternoon lunch on concert day? Just looking for a good burger/sandwhich joint that has some atmosphere, not looking for anything fancy, Tresca is about as fancy as we get and by the looks of it, doesn`t appear like it`s a stuffy place

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Great info Tom, I have printed off your instructions in regards to different T`s to take. Depending on how hot it is, or if it`s raining, we`ll be good to walk a fair bit, we do a ton of it here with the pooch so that won`t bother us. Thanks again, any good foody ideas for our afternoon lunch on concert day? Just looking for a good burger/sandwhich joint that has some atmosphere, not looking for anything fancy, Tresca is about as fancy as we get and by the looks of it, doesn`t appear like it`s a stuffy place

Strip is pretty upscale too. Probably more so than Tresca. Good food, nice menu. Might want to check it out if you haven't yet. Appetizers $16-21, Steaks up to $65. Might be a bit of sticker shock, depending on what you are used to.

http://www.stripbystregaboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/STRIP-Spring.Summer-2017-Dinner-Menu-for-Web.pdf

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I'm not too good for food recs in Boston, so maybe some others can point you in the right direction. Oh, and I'm not Tom...Tom's the guy you're going to see at the Garden, no? Me and Tom are on a first name basis. :laugh:

You also might want to check out the T map.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Another option for taking the T from Logan to Arlington (hotel) would be to go from Airport to Government Center on the Blue Line, and switch at Government Center to the green line to Arlington. That's a little more direct in terms of changes, but I have no idea if the silver line is in a more convenient location at Logan than the Blue Line, since I've never taken the T there. Google seems to think the silver line is better, but google is stupid sometimes.

For anyone lurking and coming into Boston, when you're using the T, you'll want to know the terminal stop so that you're going in the right direction - that's how the platforms/trains are labelled. A Lechmere train means you're going from your hotel towards the Garden/Tresca/Faneuil Hall, while a "B/C/D/E" train means you're heading from the the Garden towards your hotel. It's much easier than New York - no (scheduled) express trains, and everything's pretty much one-dimensional: you're either going towards one end of the line or the other.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm not too good for food recs in Boston, so maybe some others can point you in the right direction. Oh, and I'm not Tom...Tom's the guy you're going to see at the Garden, no? Me and Tom are on a first name basis. :laugh:

You also might want to check out the T map.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Another option for taking the T from Logan to Arlington (hotel) would be to go from Airport to Government Center on the Blue Line, and switch at Government Center to the green line to Arlington. That's a little more direct in terms of changes, but I have no idea if the silver line is in a more convenient location at Logan than the Blue Line, since I've never taken the T there. Google seems to think the silver line is better, but google is stupid sometimes.

For anyone lurking and coming into Boston, when you're using the T, you'll want to know the terminal stop so that you're going in the right direction - that's how the platforms/trains are labelled. A Lechmere train means you're going from your hotel towards the Garden/Tresca/Faneuil Hall, while a "B/C/D/E" train means you're heading from the the Garden towards your hotel. It's much easier than New York - no (scheduled) express trains, and everything's pretty much one-dimensional: you're either going towards one end of the line or the other.

haha, glanced over your last line, thought you signed as "Tom", well, I`m going to continue calling that anyways:laugh:

thanks for all the great info again

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Going to the hotel in Arlington the Silver Line to Red Line is by far the better option.

Silver Line goes to South Station where you then take the Red Line to Alewife and the hotel is less than a mile from the subway. Going to Lechmere would not work at all.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Going to the hotel in Arlington the Silver Line to Red Line is by far the better option.

Silver Line goes to South Station where you then take the Red Line to Alewife and the hotel is less than a mile from the subway. Going to Lechmere would not work at all.
Wouldn't he be better off taking the T from the Airport (Blue Line inbound) and making one change at Government Center (4 stops), and changing for the Green Line to Arlington Station (3 stops)? The Park Plaza is one block from the Arlington Station.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wouldn't he be better off taking the T from the Airport (Blue Line inbound) and making one change at Government Center (4 stops), and changing for the Green Line to Arlington Station (3 stops)? The Park Plaza is one block from the Arlington Station.

I thought he said the hotel was IN Arlington :booboo:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Posted in the ticket thread but can't do any harm to post here too (hopefully)

Hi guys and gals, hope you can help me out.

I have always wanted to visit Boston and I am going to do just that in Feb. I have tied in the trip with the first Monday of the Beanpot so I am there for Feb 3rd game against Toronto.

If anyone can help me get a ticket for this game, cheap is best, but I am open to all offers, I would be very grateful.

Please ignore my location under my username, I can't stand the Habs

Thanks

As for things to do, I got myself two guide books from the library and got to work planning where to go. I am there for a week so I am going to pack in quite a lot.

I am staying via Airbnb as it saves a lot of money off a single hotel room. I am in Dorchester, 7 minutes walk to Savin Hill (red line)

These are a few things I have planned:

Harvard
M.I.T
Common and Public Garden
Freedom Trail with detour to Quincey Market/Faneuil Hall
Harbourwalk to Chris Columbus Park & Rose Kennedy Greenway
JFK birthplace
Science Museum
Art gallery & Isabella Stewart
Esplanade & Copley Sqaure
Fenway Park tour

I've made a note of a few bars that DK Eyewitness and Lonely Planet suggest, I'll look them up online nearer the time. I'll also check out local theaters and classical /jazz music places too.

Any really good bars that will be showing hockey regardless of if the Bruins are playing? Not into fancy winebars etc. A seat at the bar with the game on is what I like :D

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Posted in the ticket thread but can't do any harm to post here too (hopefully)

Hi guys and gals, hope you can help me out.

I have always wanted to visit Boston and I am going to do just that in Feb. I have tied in the trip with the first Monday of the Beanpot so I am there for Feb 3rd game against Toronto.

If anyone can help me get a ticket for this game, cheap is best, but I am open to all offers, I would be very grateful.

Please ignore my location under my username, I can't stand the Habs

Thanks

As for things to do, I got myself two guide books from the library and got to work planning where to go. I am there for a week so I am going to pack in quite a lot.

I am staying via Airbnb as it saves a lot of money off a single hotel room. I am in Dorchester, 7 minutes walk to Savin Hill (red line)

These are a few things I have planned:

Harvard
M.I.T
Common and Public Garden
Freedom Trail with detour to Quincey Market/Faneuil Hall
Harbourwalk to Chris Columbus Park & Rose Kennedy Greenway
JFK birthplace
Science Museum
Art gallery & Isabella Stewart
Esplanade & Copley Sqaure
Fenway Park tour

I've made a note of a few bars that DK Eyewitness and Lonely Planet suggest, I'll look them up online nearer the time. I'll also check out local theaters and classical /jazz music places too.

Any really good bars that will be showing hockey regardless of if the Bruins are playing? Not into fancy winebars etc. A seat at the bar with the game on is what I like :D

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

In Savin hill (where I live) harp and bard and the banshee are two bars that will show the game. I prefer the banshee but H&B is a more traditional sports bar. Banshee is more an Irish pub. My 2 favorite bars in the area. However a guaranteed showing of a neutral site hockey game is going to be difficult to give. If the celtics are on for example both of those bars will cater to them. If nothing local is happening I'd say both bars are more likely to have neutral hockey vs basketball however given its Dorchester

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
In Savin hill (where I live) harp and bard and the banshee are two bars that will show the game. I prefer the banshee but H&B is a more traditional sports bar. Banshee is more an Irish pub. My 2 favorite bars in the area. However a guaranteed showing of a neutral site hockey game is going to be difficult to give. If the celtics are on for example both of those bars will cater to them. If nothing local is happening I'd say both bars are more likely to have neutral hockey vs basketball however given its Dorchester

Thanks for the reply :cheers:

Where are the "go to" bars for before a Bruins game ?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks for the reply :cheers:

Where are the "go to" bars for before a Bruins game ?

Throw a rock from the Bobby Orr statue and you will hit a bar with Bruins fans. Everything from sports bars, to fancy places, to beer and pizza, to downright dives. Basically, the place is smack dab in the middle of a hard drinking city, and is surrounded by bars. Hence the reason we don't do those outdoor viewing party things, nobody would leave the bar to go.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
We`ll be in your fine city a week from today, just received a confirmation email from Tresca for our reservation Wednesday night, Tom Petty on Thursday, can`t wait. Mrs Odaat I see has cleared off all balance on her credit card too..............dangerous:)

is UBER safe to take?

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We`ll be in your fine city a week from today, just received a confirmation email from Tresca for our reservation Wednesday night, Tom Petty on Thursday, can`t wait. Mrs Odaat I see has cleared off all balance on her credit card too..............dangerous:)

is UBER safe to take?

Never had a problem with Uber or Lyft.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
thanks again, never heard of Lyft

Lyft doesn't operate in Canada.

I have used Uber in many cities and never had an issue. In fact when I am on the road my company will accept Uber or Lyft receipts but not from a cab as the receipt is very detailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad