The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia; suggested books, publications, DVDs

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Are there any hockey shops or places to get flyers jerseys, etc... in Philly that you can recommend? I will be visiting next week and was hoping to get some time to pick up some Flyers gear. I should add that I am staying in Center City but I will have a car.
Thanks!

Last edited:

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Can someone recommend a good sports bar in the Center City area for watching the Flyers game?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Can someone recommend a good sports bar in the Center City area for watching the Flyers game?

Until others respond, this is what is listed in the OP:

Possible Options for Watching Sports in a Bar
•"XFINITY Live! is the Philadelphia premier dining and entertainment destination..." -- http://xfinitylive.com/
•P.J. Whelihan's -- http://www.pjspub.com/locations/
•Buffalo Wild Wings -- www.BuffaloWildWings.com/locations/Detail/0310
•Chickies and Petes -- www.ChickiesandPetes.com

And this link is from VisitPhilly.com: http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/best-sports-bars-in-philadelphia/

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Until others respond, this is what is listed in the OP:

Possible Options for Watching Sports in a Bar
•"XFINITY Live! is the Philadelphia premier dining and entertainment destination..." -- http://xfinitylive.com/
•P.J. Whelihan's -- http://www.pjspub.com/locations/
•Buffalo Wild Wings -- www.BuffaloWildWings.com/locations/Detail/0310
•Chickies and Petes -- www.ChickiesandPetes.com

And this link is from VisitPhilly.com: http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/philadelphia/best-sports-bars-in-philadelphia/

Thanks MSE!

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Hi Flyers fans, I'll soon be in NYC for holiday and I wanted to visit Philly for a day. But I heard that it's supposed to be terrible for car parking, is that true? Do you recommend to avoid renting a car and use public transport only?

Thanks

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It's terrible in the sense that PPA sucks. But you can find parking pretty easily anywhere in the city. It's much better than taking a car into Manhattan.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
It's terrible in the sense that PPA sucks. But you can find parking pretty easily anywhere in the city. It's much better than taking a car into Manhattan.

Oh okay, thanks. No I certainly won't use a car in Manhattan, I just thought of renting for one day because Amtrak seems quite expensive.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Oh okay, thanks. No I certainly won't use a car in Manhattan, I just thought of renting for one day because Amtrak seems quite expensive.

You have two other, cheaper options:

1) Take NJ Transit (Northeast Corridor Line) and SEPTA (Trenton Line) from New York Penn Station to either Jefferson Station (aka Market East Station) or Suburban Station in Center City Philadelphia.

2) Take Greyhound, BoltBus, Megabus, or one of the Chinatown bus lines. With Greyhound, you get on at the NY Port Authority Bus Terminal (between 40th and 42nd Streets and 8th and 9th Avenues in midtown Manhattan) and get off at the Philadelphia Greyhound Terminal (at 10th and Filbert Streets in Center City Philadelphia, immediately north of Jefferson/Market East Station). With BoltBus or Megabus, you get on at 34th Street between 11th and 12th Avenues out near the Hudson River in midtown Manhattan and get off near 30th Street Station just outside Center City Philadelphia. With the Chinatown buses, there are various stops in Manhattan, and most of them stop in Philadelphia on 11th Street between Filbert and Arch (near Jefferson/Market East Station).

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Are there any hockey shops or places to get flyers jerseys, etc... in Philly that you can recommend? I will be visiting next week and was hoping to get some time to pick up some Flyers gear. I should add that I am staying in Center City but I will have a car.
Thanks!

Obviously this is too late to help you with your trip, but for future reference the following information might help. (I'm not a Flyers fan, but I am an Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, and Big Five/City Six fan, and these are the places I check out when in Philadelphia for a game or games.)

*Modell's - there's one on Chestnut between 15th and 16th that I know sells Flyers jerseys. I'm sure there are also other Modell's in or near Center City (though the one in the Gallery closed due to the Gallery's redevelopment)

*Philly Team Store - this place is located on Chestnut between 17th and 18th. I'm almost definite they sell Flyers jerseys, and they have a decent selection of T-shirts and sweatshirts for the Flyers and other Philly pro teams too.

*Mitchell and Ness - located on 12th between Broad and Chestnut, you will NOT be able to buy current hockey jerseys there but MAY be able to buy retro/vintage Flyers jerseys. M&N has a particularly strong collection of vintage football and basketball apparel. Make sure you check their back room for discounted items (their regular prices are very expensive). Also, their shirts tend to run small, so if you do buy something, buy one size larger than usual.

*Shibe Vintage Sports - located on 13th between Sansom and Walnut, they do not sell hockey jerseys but like M&N they sell a lot of vintage-styled apparel (and unlike M&N pretty much all of their vintage stuff is Philly-oriented). I don't think they have too much Flyers stuff, but if you like the Eagles they sell some great shirts, including an awesome, Tecmo Super Bowl-inspired "QB Eagles" T-shirt.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Just as a follow-up, does anyone know for sure where the best place to get Flyers jerseys and the like from outside of the arena?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
All I know is we took a cab to a Modells and it was terrible for Flyers gear.
Suprised because the one I went to in Center City had a ton of stuff (got my Simmonds shirt there for $25 instead of the $40 at WFC). They also had some generic shirts on clearence for $10 as well.

bbcelite

Oct 11, 2009
Bavaria
Hey guys! Finally my dream comes true I will go to Philadelphia to watch my flyers :handclap: I´m eyying the game vs Toronto April 7th maybe the game against the pens too. Is stubhub the best way to buy tickets? What else I have to do in Philadelphia?
Thanks in advance

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hey guys! Finally my dream comes true I will go to Philadelphia to watch my flyers :handclap: I´m eyying the game vs Toronto April 7th maybe the game against the pens too. Is stubhub the best way to buy tickets? What else I have to do in Philadelphia?
Thanks in advance
StubHub is almost always your best option because STH's get a massive discount over box office pricing so even if they are selling for a profit the cost is usualy lower. Also StubHub works with the team so you know the tickets are legit. Hope that helps!

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Thanks in advance

Stubhub is definitely your best bet to buy tickets.

As far as things to do, of course you have the typical tourist attractions (Independence Hall, Museum of Art, etc). My personal favourite is Eastern State Penitentiary. The whole Fairmount area is quite nice and trendy, if you're into that. Check out Reading Terminal Market if you are there during the week.

The best place for Flyers gear in the city (in my opinion) is Philly Team Store on Chestnut and 17th (I think that's it)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad