The Virtues of Development vs. Winning in the AHL (Read OP)

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I don't even feel strongly about playing any of the specific prospects (although I tend to agree that not trying Hutton was a poor decision down the stretch), but not rotating the squad at all when you're playing this many games in a pretty short period of time (the first game was basically two games), with substantial travel moreover, seems like just shrugging off a potential advantage.

The idea that "we won, therefore we should change nothing" is a post hoc fallacy and not really smart anyway from a forward-looking perspective.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
oh whoops, OKC puts nurse in the game and he gets a bunch of points. man, what idiots? why are they playing a rookie? what a stupid decision. i like my defencemen slow, 94 years old and not on an nhl contract

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
he doesnt have enough experience. hes too young and uh, not good. also, he didnt play in the regular season. theyd better take him out before he wins them all of the ******* games

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
oh whoops, OKC puts nurse in the game and he gets a bunch of points. man, what idiots? why are they playing a rookie? what a stupid decision. i like my defencemen slow, 94 years old and not on an nhl contract

Nurse shouldn't be playing [insert name of plug that he's replacing] has been a warrior for this team all year.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Nurse shouldn't be playing [insert name of plug that he's replacing] has been a warrior for this team all year.

That would be Musil. Unfortunately for him, hockey's a cold hard business and teams don't care if you've been here all year or not.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
OKC was "allowed" to change their lineup because they lost a one-goal game. As you know, it is state law that one must ice an identical lineup after winning, because we are all too stupid to discern things like "contribution" or "cause and effect".
Never understood the "Let it ride" rule so many coaches have. Stupid.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
I am disappointed in Travis Green. Why have Virtanen and McCann in Utica if they are just going to be drinking soda and eating popcorn in the press box? I am not even asking for them to play every game. But its clear that those guys are much more of a threat to score for Utica than anyone not named Shinkaruk, Baertschi, Gaunce or Grenier. The series is even at two so why not bring Jake and Jared into the lineup for a game and see what happens?

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Hopefully McCann and Virtanen play tomorrow because no one can score unless you are Shinky, SvenBae, Grenier, Gaunce or Friesen

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Winning = development....

Ask the Oilers. They are doing the opposite....

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Aint an 18 yr old on the planet that can enter game 3 of the ahl conf semifinals against a big strong team.

Id do it anyway but id rather win and keep braising the development of the prospects that contributed big roles to be where they are now.

18 year old Sam Bennett had no problems against the Canucks.

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
Winning is all that matters. And really we had a lot of young prospects on the comets all year.
Virtanen and Mccann should only be used in practice and to take notes on how to eat.
Those boys will use the summer to work out to get ready for the jump next year.

And any chance we can get to beat any part of the oilers,or old rivals like that we should take the oppertunity and smile

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Winning is all that matters. And really we had a lot of young prospects on the comets all year.
Virtanen and Mccann should only be used in practice and to take notes on how to eat.
Those boys will use the summer to work out to get ready for the jump next year.

And any chance we can get to beat any part of the oilers,or old rivals like that we should take the oppertunity and smile

Bolded is completely untrue when it comes to the AHL.

All that matters is getting icetime in prime developmental situations for your top prospects.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
does anyone reminds this situation in Chicago Wolves days :naughty:?

they were seriously dedicated to winning over development: consistently playing Darren freaking Haydar, playing Matt Clinnie over and over and over and over and we couldnt get our guys a lot of ice time

( though Wolves did this all season which was much worse)

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
does anyone reminds this situation in Chicago Wolves days :naughty:?

they were seriously dedicated to winning over development: consistently playing Darren freaking Haydar, playing Matt Clinnie over and over and over and over and we couldnt get our guys a lot of ice time

( though Wolves did this all season which was much worse)

yup we really need to stop giving up picks. The team needs prospects in the pool to fill out the Comets roster. Else we end up with teams like this season.

The team got away with having a lot of players on the cusp of being veteran exempts this season to go along with those already in the VE/veteran category. Then add in the lifer fill-ins hamilton, negrin, and ehrhardt.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00